Convenia

Seattlefem51

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My late cat Harry was given an injection of Convenia. After he got the injection he got worse. He ended up with 104.5 temp that was medically reduced. I have seen postings on the Internet on adverse reactions to this overly prescribed antibiotic by vets. Just wondering if anyone else noticed an adverse with their fur baby from Convenia.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First off, I'm so sorry you lost your guy, Harry. Was it the Convenia that caused his death, is that why the question? There are some cats who have definitely had adverse effect, and many that have not. I had a cat who absolutely could not be pilled (even by the Vet), so she always got Convenia when she needed an antibiotic. Now a have one cat who has adverse reactions to any antibiotic he has ever been given (so far), so Convenia definitely will NOT be given to him, just to be on the safe side. Otherwise, it has it's place, for instance with a feral who may never be touched again but managed to get themselves trapped and to the Vet for whatever reason. And in cases such as mine above.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seattlefem51

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Technically he was put to sleep. The Convenia injection made him sicker. He developed a super high temp and anemia as a result of the injection.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Blackie had Convenia shots twice... once for a respiratory infection and the other for bad cuts and scrapes from being lost outside for 4 days. It worked like a miracle both times with no observable side effects.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will start off by saying I am not a fan of Convenia. I've had 2 kitties get the shots at various ages. Both of them had adverse reactions, but not to the extent of your kitty. My girls both got extremely fatigued and hardly moved for 10-14 days following the injection. They would eat, sleep, and use the litter box and that's all. No interaction with us or anything. It was kind of scary, actually. Now I have it on my "Do not ever give to my cat" list with my vet's office.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, never use this dangerous drug. My Angelina passed 9 days after it, she also developed a high fever and severe anemia. I know there was no anemia before because I did bw the day before the shot. I was just coming out of being very ill myself at the time, otherwise I would never have allowed it because I knew better. My family warned me not to use it. My dvm office was pushing it on me more than once. I thought it would be easier for her because she wasn’t feeling well and frequently spit pills out etc. biggest mistake of my life.

An antibiotic that stays in the system so long can’t be stopped if there is a reaction and it will never be safe. I did a necropsy and it turned out she had cancer, no bacterial infection so she should never have received it. My dvm had no clue what was wrong and just decided to subject her to this basically to make or save money because convenia goes to waste if not used in a certain time frame.

I have been trying to warn people about this drug for 7.5 years now. There are sites at fb about it. Giving high doses of probiotics has saved some cats, someone just told me he saved his cat this way after reading my posts about it. It looks like a few in the dvm community are starting to wise up to the dangers of this drug.

You may think your cat or dog is ok because they never had a reaction but some have had a reaction after several injections. It is not worth the risk. There are plenty of antibiotics which are safe and which can be stopped if there is a reaction.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, never use this dangerous drug. My Angelina passed 9 days after it, she also developed a high fever and severe anemia. I know there was no anemia before because I did bw the day before the shot. I was just coming out of being very ill myself at the time, otherwise I would never have allowed it because I knew better. My family warned me not to use it. My dvm office was pushing it on me more than once. I thought it would be easier for her because she wasn’t feeling well and frequently spit pills out etc. biggest mistake of my life.

An antibiotic that stays in the system so long can’t be stopped if there is a reaction and it will never be safe. I did a necropsy and it turned out she had cancer, no bacterial infection so she should never have received it. My dvm had no clue what was wrong and just decided to subject her to this basically to make or save money because convenia goes to waste if not used in a certain time frame.

I have been trying to warn people about this drug for 7.5 years now. There are sites at fb about it. Giving high doses of probiotics has saved some cats, someone just told me he saved his cat this way after reading my posts about it. It looks like a few in the dvm community are starting to wise up to the dangers of this drug.

You may think your cat or dog is ok because they never had a reaction but some have had a reaction after several injections. It is not worth the risk. There are plenty of antibiotics which are safe and which can be stopped if there is a reaction.
I am sorry you lost your dear friend. The problem with it is that if the cat has a reaction there is no way of getting it out of there system. It stays in the system for a very long time. I would never ever use it on my cats.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you lost your dear friend. The problem with it is that if the cat has a reaction there is no way of getting it out of there system. It stays in the system for a very long time. I would never ever use it on my cats.
Thank you. Unfortunately that is not the only problem with convenia, it causes many serious side effects including death listed as number one I believe in the foreign market reports which other antibiotics do not. I believe the whole mechanism of how long it stays in the system plays a role in that though. Good for you for not using it, I warn everyone never to use it. You will never have to go through that heart break.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Unfortunately that is not the only problem with convenia, it causes many serious side effects including death listed as number one I believe in the foreign market reports which other antibiotics do not. I believe the whole mechanism of how long it stays in the system plays a role in that though. Good for you for not using it, I warn everyone never to use it. You will never have to go through that heart break.
I am sorry, I just re-read my post and thought it was a little insensitive by saying I wouldn't use it on my cats after you lost your sweet girl. I am sorry for your loss

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet told me this happened with one of his own cats after he gave it a Convenia injection. The cat should have improved with antibiotics, but rapidly declined and he had to euthanize it. He told me this when I requested Convenia for one of my cats. We discussed it more and as that particular cat is friendly (one of mine is not) I agreed to give oral antibiotics at home instead.

I'm sorry you had to deal with this. Losing a family member is never easy.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, my sincere condolences on the loss of Harry. This was an unfortunate and sudden way to lose your dear furry friend.

If it is of any help, please know that all medications carry precautions, and that antibiotics in general, of all types have warnings on them about symptoms to look out for. They can be highly allergenic to many pets, and certainly this is a well known thing in humans. Certain types can be tolerated by some, but not by others and there does come some risk with using them - true again for all drugs. I don't believe Convenia is any worse than any other antibiotic out there. Could be that because it's used more frequently you just hear about it more often.

My own experience with Convenia has been always a positive one. All of our cats have had injections of it at one time or another and none had negative reactions to it and, it usually it kicked in quickly and worked well.

I have read similar stories as mentioned by others above of the negative effects of Convenia but similar to many other things in life, you're going to hear more about the negative than positive things in reviews on line.

Doctors always have to weigh what is the right course of treatment for the moment, the animal, the person that will be caring for the animal and the potential risks and outcomes. Personally, I would not want to be in their shoes at all. I always try to give the vet the benefit of the doubt since they are the ones who are educated to practice medicine, not me. But I sure as heck will learn all I can on my own so that I can be a partner with them in my cat's care and make educated decisions, as much as possible so that I do understand the risks associated with whatever is being suggested.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, my sincere condolences on the loss of Harry. This was an unfortunate and sudden way to lose your dear furry friend.

If it is of any help, please know that all medications carry precautions, and that antibiotics in general, of all types have warnings on them about symptoms to look out for. They can be highly allergenic to many pets, and certainly this is a well known thing in humans. Certain types can be tolerated by some, but not by others and there does come some risk with using them - true again for all drugs. I don't believe Convenia is any worse than any other antibiotic out there. Could be that because it's used more frequently you just hear about it more often.

My own experience with Convenia has been always a positive one. All of our cats have had injections of it at one time or another and none had negative reactions to it and, it usually it kicked in quickly and worked well.

I have read similar stories as mentioned by others above of the negative effects of Convenia but similar to many other things in life, you're going to hear more about the negative than positive things in reviews on line.

Doctors always have to weigh what is the right course of treatment for the moment, the animal, the person that will be caring for the animal and the potential risks and outcomes. Personally, I would not want to be in their shoes at all. I always try to give the vet the benefit of the doubt since they are the ones who are educated to practice medicine, not me. But I sure as heck will learn all I can on my own so that I can be a partner with them in my cat's care and make educated decisions, as much as possible so that I do understand the risks associated with whatever is being suggested.
You are completely wrong, convenia is not like other antibiotics. It is a very dangerous drug which due to its long action in the body carries huge risks and which has killed many cats and dogs, that is why you are hearing more about these reactions. Dvm are prescribing it like candy in many cases and often when an antibiotic is not even needed and without warning people of the terrible side effects. That is called lack of informed consent.

There are many other safe choices which wont endanger your cat or dog and which can be stopped if there is a reaction. They may not be as convenient but convenience or difficulty with medicating are not reasons to risk the life of your beloved furbaby.

You are risking the life of your cats by continuing to allow it, that is your choice, but please don’t try to encourage others to do the same and don’t try to discount the numerous deaths and severe reactions due to this drug. Hopefully your cats will never have to experience the deadly side effects of convenia. If your cat has a reaction to this deadly drug, you wont be able to do anything because it stays in the body for 64 days.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Meowmee Meowmee Excuse me. I don't think you read my post entirely.

I stated:

"But I sure as heck will learn all I can on my own so that I can be a partner with them in my cat's care and make educated decisions, as much as possible so that I do understand the risks associated with whatever is being suggested. "

There was NOTHING in my post that was promoting the use of Convenia. I gave my own experience with it and added caveats about researching for oneself.

Cesrenia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I had seen this sooner, I had no idea! My 14 year old CKD/diabetic/anemic cat just had a Convenia injection this past weekend to make sure his bladder infection is gone. I'm scared to death now reading all these horrible things that have happened. He is definitely not doing much but lying around, eating (some) and using the litter. Please will someone tell me what I can do?! I saw something about probiotics - any and all information is greatly appreciated! I've fought so hard for my boy and I would hate an antibiotic to be the cause of his demise. :(

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had seen this sooner, I had no idea! My 14 year old CKD/diabetic/anemic cat just had a Convenia injection this past weekend to make sure his bladder infection is gone. I'm scared to death now reading all these horrible things that have happened. He is definitely not doing much but lying around, eating (some) and using the litter. Please will someone tell me what I can do?! I saw something about probiotics - any and all information is greatly appreciated! I've fought so hard for my boy and I would hate an antibiotic to be the cause of his demise. :(
I am so sorry😿 praying for your kitty. Some people have saved theirs with high doses of probiotics... go to the facebook page for adverse convenia reactions in cats and dogs for more help. I unfortunately did not know about the probiotics when Angie as dying and I don’t know the specifics. I will try to find more info for you.

Cesrenia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for responding so quickly!! I just desperately ordered Dr. Mercola probiotics. Should arrive Friday. Here I was thinking it's his other conditions making him feel bad, but it very well could be the Convenia. I wish I could give him something until it arrives, I'm gonna be worried sick :( thank you for your prayers.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for responding so quickly!! I just desperately ordered Dr. Mercola probiotics. Should arrive Friday. Here I was thinking it's his other conditions making him feel bad, but it very well could be the Convenia. I wish I could give him something until it arrives, I'm gonna be worried sick :( thank you for your prayers.
You're welcome, I feel so bad for you. Don’t give up hope, someone on my yt vid told me they recently saved their cat with probiotics. I would go to another dvm if needed and get some, most dvm carry forti flora now. Maybe places like vitamin shop, petco whole foods too, they have probiotics as well.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry you lost your pet. That is a rough thing to have happen.

Ailish has had Convenia several times, including last week, for skin issues. She has had no problem at all with it and it has worked each time. It does not tend to make her tired. In fact, she has been quite peppy since she had it on Tuesday, I'm sure it is just a coincidence.
Any medication that has an effect is going to have side effects in some animals. I know that is not going to make you feel better about your loss. It's a risk we all take when we treat a sick pet. Also, without actual proof that it was the Convenia that hurt you cat it's just guessing to say it killed him.

My concern is more the injection site issue. On the other hand, I know that pilling a cat can be very hit or miss, which isn't great when we're talking about an antibiotic. Part of the reason for Convenia is that the dosage can be controlled better than giving them pills. Trying to figure out what is right is difficult sometimes.