Convenia Cat Death

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read a post by an Australian vet this morning saying it’s far too dangerous for so many reasons.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat died last Friday from this evil injection combined with a anti inflammatory. I wish I had searched & found sites like this before I took Sophie to the vet. To anyone who needs information about Convenia I am trying to get the word out.

Search Results for Query: Convenia
I am deeply sorry for your loss. I too experienced the same thing in 2012 when my beloved Angelina was given convenia and died 9 days later. She was not anemic before, I did blood work and became life threateningly anemic 3 days after. I have tried to warn people about this drug for years and yet here we are years later. She had cancer it turned out and did not even have a bacterial infection yet she was given this drug which caused severe harm and gave her no chance at all.

I will never knowingly allow it again. My Fred was given it without my knowledge or permission when I took him in and had him vetted at a lower cost clinic that treats outdoor cats and fortunately he survived it.

Zerthax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just read a post by an Australian vet this morning saying it’s far too dangerous for so many reasons.
Very informative article. The particularly concerning part: "Cefovecin contains the same base structure as penicillin, and so allergies can occur. When they happen with other antibiotics, we just stop them. With Convenia, blood levels are known to persist for 65 days."

A treatment that you can't simply stop. I had a cat who had received 4 or 5 treatments of Convenia over his life. There were no incidents from these, but knowing what I know now I will not agree to this again. The bad thing is that due to years of treatment for a chronic condition, he was very easy to give medication to.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[/URL][/URL][/URL]
Yes the main reason is financial motivation. My former dvm that gave it to angelina was literally pushing it on me when it came out. They wanted to give it to her a 2 months before she received it and I refused to let them do it, I talked to my father and he said it was not a good idea because it stays in the system too long. I don’t know what was going through my head when I allowed them to give it to her. I was very stressed out and I had been recently very ill in the hospital and I wasn’t thinking clearly. Angie did not like to take pills and she used to hide them and spit them out later so I thought it would be easier for her. But she didn’t even need an antibiotic.
At that time they didn’t even know what was wrong she seemed to have a mild cold and then a reaction to having to vaccinations. She did not have any type of bacterial infection and yet she was given this drug. Had they bothered to do a proper diagnosis they would’ve realized that this drug was going to endanger her life because she had cancer.

The only thing on their mind was not losing several hundred dollars because they had opened vial of convenia and also it is very expensive compared to the other antibiotics, so they are making a profit on it.
Then her dvm was in tears when she became anemic… she said she thought Angie was dying and she didn’t know why and she told me to bring her to a more advanced animal hospital where they immediately said they were considering convenia as the cause of the anemia.

Her DVM would never admit that convenia did anything and then she tried to stop me from getting a necropsy. But I went ahead with it and they charged me a fortune to write the report I needed to get it done. In that report they wrote a bunch of lies about me saying I didn’t bring her in for treatment etc. Later I found out from someone’s review that she had given convenia to another cat about two or three years later… and her cat died the next day. This cat was not very ill she just had a mild infection maybe in her tooth. The owner told her they were going away but they could have their pet sitter give her pills yeah convenient was pushed on her without any warnings of possible side effects. Their poor cat died before they even left for their trip. The owner was very upset. She looked up convenia and Dvm told her that she thought all of the reactions were just stories. And she said she had never had a reaction which was a lie because Angie had a reaction obviously.

I have never seen anything in the DVM world like the negligent behavior over convenia before. This Dvm was always so concerned about medications and their possible dangers but I saw what she truly was after this.

I also later read that she was a traveling DVM as well. Someone asked her to come and euthanize their dog who was very ill. Instead of just going ahead with it she sat there for two hours trying to sell more expensive treatments and drugs to them which would’ve prolonged their dog’s life for maybe a few weeks if at all and it would’ve been a very low quality of life. Finally at their insistence she did the euthanasia but it was very stressful for them.

Last edited:

Ramona2023

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Scottish had to be euthanized because he had kidney failure a few days after receiving Convenia and Loxicam.
I am suffering enormously and I am in a state of shock carrying a beautiful soul who had perfect analyzes and in 14 days I will not have anything to do with him. the only option was dialysis, but in my country it is not done on small animals.
Vets do experiments on our souls that we love enormously.

Ramona2023

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
for all who have cats and especially for Scottish folds who have joint problems, do not give Loxicam. Mishu was very well with Alevica and Grupacur having osteophytes in both elbows. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the danger and thought that the vets knew better than I did, although I avoided antibiotics and anti-inflammatories for the 3 years he lived.
no matter what I do, I can't bring him back. I never thought that there could be such empathy that you can have with your beautiful cat.
And I didn't even want to do experiments on him in order to save him, although the creatinine had reached 13.5. He couldn't even stand on his feet.
i m so sorry for him.
i miss him so much.

Kourtnee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This shot killed my cat. He was only 7 years old. We took him in for a known urinary issue he had in the past before that I thought he was having. They gave him this kill shot for urinary and a skin infection, 2 days later he was rapidly breathing and we thought that it was anaphylaxis. Turns out he had congestive heart failure. He was the sweetest ever Siamese and we are devastated. I don’t trust vets or my own doctors for that matter. They treated us at first like we were horrible owners that we didn’t give him the rabies vax, and rabies isn’t even hardly around it’s all one big scam. I’m glad I never gave him that vax and I did everything right and it turns out this medication gave him cardiac failure. Do not trust the vets and do not ever give your pets this kill shot Convenia. It’s made by that evil company Phizer too. The company that kills people and hooks them on mental pills. All one big money scam!!!!!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

Kourtnee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Contact Zoetis Animal Health | Zoetis
How to Report Animal Drug and Device Side Effects and Product Problems

I am very sorry for the loss of your boy. My own flame point boy had a severe reaction to Convenia, also administered for a urinary/skin issue, and spent extra time at the vet recovering. If you feel that you want to report what happened to your boy to Zoetis and to the FDA, the links are above. I did file an adverse event report with Zoetis when my cat reacted to it.
Thank you so much for the links. This product should be removed, I’m glad your boy recovered!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This shot killed my cat. He was only 7 years old. We took him in for a known urinary issue he had in the past before that I thought he was having. They gave him this kill shot for urinary and a skin infection, 2 days later he was rapidly breathing and we thought that it was anaphylaxis. Turns out he had congestive heart failure. He was the sweetest ever Siamese and we are devastated. I don’t trust vets or my own doctors for that matter. They treated us at first like we were horrible owners that we didn’t give him the rabies vax, and rabies isn’t even hardly around it’s all one big scam. I’m glad I never gave him that vax and I did everything right and it turns out this medication gave him cardiac failure. Do not trust the vets and do not ever give your pets this kill shot Convenia. It’s made by that evil company Phizer too. The company that kills people and hooks them on mental pills. All one big money scam!!!!!!
I am so sorry for your loss of your precious meezer. I know how you feel. Run free sweet boy and watch over your mom 🌈🐾❤

terrimontes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat died last Friday from this evil injection combined with a anti inflammatory. I wish I had searched & found sites like this before I took Sophie to the vet. To anyone who needs information about Convenia I am trying to get the word out.

Search Results for Query: Convenia
What anti-inflammatory was your cat given along with or after the covenia? Did you have blood work when your cat was going downhill? What did that show?