Important Contest: Share With Us Your Favorite Experience / Memory Of Your Veterinarian – Aug 2017

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ENTRY #2
Same Vet- Morgantown Veterinary Care. This time it was a joint effort of Dr Kenny and Dr Taylor!
We got a call one night to save a feral kitten who was running lose in a parking garage. Our fosters were able to go out and catch her! Once they got her home and started cleaning her up they realized that she was covered in bite wound abscesses. Our vet was able to see her the next day first thing. The one on her front leg was so bad that they thought they may need to amputate. They had to give her pain meds to even be able to touch her to evaluate her. We left her there for the whole day while they did a more thorough exam and stitched her up as best that they could.
Here she was when we took her home!
View attachment 191161
She went back in a week to check her stitches- she pulled a couple of them out. So they decided to do staples instead. She went back a week after that, they took out the remaining stitches and discovered that it was a little infected so they left it open a bit for the infection to drain out. She went back last week and they finally removed the staples! She is doing really great!
This is her now:

View attachment 191162
Her foster has decided to adopt her!
But our vets definitely saved her leg! They are always so helpful- encouraging frequent check ups- which caught the infection before it got too bad! The office also would call and ask how she was doing which was nice.
What a beautiful little girl. I'm so glad the vets worked so diligently to save her leg and that she's now found her forever home :-)

Kemz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_9012.JPG

Entry

Powers Pet Emergency
Colorado Springs, CO

They are knowledgeable, friendly, and compassionate - which is especially nice when your furbaby is in trouble - or worse, needs to be put down..

They do offer cremation services, and if you so choose, you can bring home the ashes in a carved box and they create an ornament with a paw print of your departed fluffy..

While its incredibly hard to lose a fluffy (i had one pass from liver failure and another of cancer) - being able to keep these beautiful boxes preserves their memory without having an urn..

The staff gives a final exam.. and they have a quiet yet comfortable room to allow you to say your goodbyes..

The ladies - during both times i had to go - were utterly exceptional and understanding.. and helped is throughout the process in the kindest manner possible..

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
ENTRY
The staff and tireless DVMs of ABC Clinic of Pet Refuge! (South Bend, IN)
Drs. Kryder, Tvrdik, and Adduci are responsible for spaying and neutering almost all of the pets in our rescue program. Without them and their low-cost, high-volume, high-quality spay/neuter clinic, we'd be having to pay double or more per animal to spay or neuter them prior to adoption. Not to mention that in addition to fixing our rescue animals, they also do surgeries on community animals including feral cats.
When all you do is specialize in one area, you get very, very VERY good at it. Our females get fixed through tiny incisions that make the regular vets squint and say, "huh?" Our kittens come home from their trip to the vet ready to play again (which we half-heartedly discourage) and we have the peace of mind knowing that we can reach a vet after-hours should there be any post-surgical issues.
Our 'kids' also get inked--a little blue/green line on their tummy to let the world know they're fixed and proud of it! One year on Valentine's Day Dr. Kryder did little hearts on a litter of puppies she fixed for us.
We have nothing but the greatest respect for the work they do--making the essential spay/neuter surgery affordable and accessible to us and the community at large. There are no shortage of animals in our area who need to be altered and we are so glad that those who want to be responsible about their animals are provided the resources to get it done!
Even though the staff at ABC sees upwards of 50 animals a day for surgery, the care they provide each animal is personalized and professional. We are so lucky to have this resource.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY 5
Dr Kenney at Morgantown Veterinary Care
Little Franklin and his 3 siblings were brought to me at 3 weeks old when their mother abandoned them. One of our momma's accepted them and raised them as her own. Franklin came to us with an upper respiratory infection, this is a picture of him the first week we had him.
IMG_2308.jpg

After a week or so Franklin started to fade, very fast. We took him in for an urgent care appointment with Dr Kenney. He had diarrhea but nothing showed up on the fecal. They sent us home with several medications and canned food to syringe feed him. About two days later his diarrhea turned bloody. So we rushed him to an emergency clinic in Fairmont since our clinic was closed. They ran a blood test and said that it didn't look to be panleuk, told us he probably wasn't going to pull through, and sent us home with fluids and new medications.
This was the poor guy.
IMG_2988.jpg

The next day when our vet opened she looked over the blood work and wanted to test him for panleuk even though the last clinic didn't want to. We brought him back in for more testing. Dr Kenney was super impressed by his spunk- she expected him to be depressed and lethargic. She told us to continue giving fluids and syringe feeding him as well as continuing antibiotics.
Slowly he began gaining weight again!
This was a picture of him before he was adopted!
IMG_4625.jpg

Dr Kenney never let us give up on him!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Entry

I would actually like to highly recommend two feline practices in the Columbus OH area, Cats Only Veterinary Clinic and Purrfect Care Medical Center.

My IBD kitty had his first flare when he was only 18 months old. He was anorexic and vomiting. Over the next seven years I did the vet hopping thing, he was hospitalized twice and there was one emergency vet visit. I couldn't get a diagnosis, I think because of his age and he didn't have diarrhea which is the hallmark symptom of IBD. When he was 7 1/2 he got really sick and I tried one more practice and that was Cats Only Veterinary Clinic. When I took him there he had developed Fatty Liver. He stayed several days and came home with a feeding tube. I also got a diagnosis. He survived the Fatty Liver. That will be 7 years ago this December and he has only had one very short mild flare in that time.

The vet that I started with left after about two years, she bought an established practice in another state. I then took my cats to another vet there named Dr. Janet Cohn. We went to her for about a year and she left. A year or so after she left she opened her own practice, Purrfect Care Medical Center. I have continued to go to Cats Only Veterinary Clinic but I would be perfectly comfortable with taking my cats to Dr. Cohn's practice.

Patches in the kitty on the right hand side of my signature.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY - my business... Cats are Family Too! Cat Sitting Service, Northfield, IL

Not to be a shameless plug but... Seems fitting my first post here in this thread would be on my first day as a full-time cat sitter. Technically that was Saturday, but Monday is the beginning of everything technically ;) I currently have 42 clients with a total of almost 70 kitties. I absolutely love getting to take care of all of these little guys, and have a soft spot in my heart for the special needs kitties. I love being able to help the clients with various aspects of their kitties' lives, from diet, to behavior, to general overall health. It brings me so much satisfaction.

For some pictures... Cats are Family Too - Cat Sitting Service

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ENTRY

Feline Medical Center, Houston, TX

Earlier today, I took my 11-week-old kitten Iris in to The Feline Med Center for her booster shots. As usual, once she got inside, she immediately became relaxed and wanted to explore. She was excited to be there.

Not what you typically experience at the vet, right?

Well, this isn't a typical vet clinic.

I first came to The Feline Med Center a couple months ago. Iris was 4 weeks old and had been having diarrhea. I'd called both of the vets I'd visited previously, but neither one had an opening. The Feline Med Center did.

Right when we got there, the staff helped Iris feel at home. They gave her a toy to play with, and spoke to her in soothing voices. By the time we left, she felt right at home there.

I have since taken my other cat there, as well. And recommended them to my sister, who took her own cat in. We've both had good experiences with them. They're a little pricier than some other vets I've been to, but the location and quality are worth it to me.

Today, the staff absolutely doted on Iris. They gave her treats and even scattered some catnip for her to play with. By the time we were leaving, she didn't want to go.

Here's a pic from after we got home:
20170815_102657.jpg

You know a cat is comfortable with vet trips when they sleep in their carrier afterward. :)

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY - Covina Animal Hospital :banana2:

This story begins with me at work, getting a text from my wife. "There's a kitten in my car !"

I called to see what was going on. She was at Jiffy Lube for an oil change. A kitten from a local feral litter had crawled up into the engine compartment. I told her to not let the kitten get away, but it was too late. The little one flew out, bounced off a couple walls, scampered down into the lube pit, and hid under a used oil storage tank. I said OK, go home and get the little trap and see if the guys will trap the kitten for us. The guys at Jiffy Lube were pretty cool about it, and by the time I got off work, they had trapped this.
LittleFiggy1.jpg

The kitten was covered with motor oil, and mad about it. I called Covina Animal Hospital, told them we had a little wild one, and asked if we could could get a checkup. Without hesitation they said bring the kitten in. Turned out to be a little girl. Healthy. Got a checkup and a bath like an oil soaked bird would. She got lots of attention. She was very angry about it.
LittleFiggy2.jpg

So we brought her home and prepared the front bedroom for her. She was angry for a couple days.

It was four days before she would eat with us in the room.
Figgy7.jpg

It was 10 days before we could pet her, but once she found friends and affection she was hooked for life. So were we. She's a beautiful kitty now.
Pretty Girl Cor.jpg

Covina Animal Hospital rocked. They do that. We ended up finding two more kittens a few months later. They lent me a trap, and spayed the feral mama kitty for CHEAP. We haven't found any more kittens. Mama kitty hangs around our house now. I see her every day. She looks well.

Covina Animal Hospital - Veterinarian in Covina, CA

~Peace~
g

Last edited:

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is Dr. Newman at Crossroads Vet in Naples, FL holding our beloved Tony. Tony had an auto-immune blood disease that Dr. Newman and his amazing staff treated and because of their wonderful care Tony had 10 extra months of life. And the 10 months he had were filled with unconditional love, both from my husband and myself, and also from Dr. Newman and his staff. They constantly monitored his blood count, gave him love and care beyond what any other vet or staff would do. Tony loved going to the vet's office because they all adored him there and showered him with attention. He was with us for 15 years. When we knew that the "time had come" Dr. Newman sent him to Rainbow Bridge with tears in his eyes and tears from everyone there. He hugged us both and we thanked him for giving Tony the extra 10 months. Vets and staff like this are so wonderful. We miss Tony (aka Tony-Baloney) each and every day.
001.JPG
001.JPG

rascalshadownj2

RascalShadowGidget2
Adult Cat
Purraise
Entry

Our two male cats, Rascal and Shadow are only 5 or 6 years old. After reading all these stories, I feel very lucky that our cats have never had any serious diseases, thanks to our wonderful vet clinic we use. The name of our vet clinic is Audubon Animal Hospital, located in Owensboro, Kentucky. They have a Facebook page too. We started using Audubon when this young female tabby cat came to our house a few years ago, and we started feeding her. Later we found out that she was pregnant and later she had these four darling little fur babies. Two blacks, which we later adopted, a Tortoise shell mix, and a pretty long-haired tabby. The Tortoise shell mix mysteriously disappeared, and the long-haired tabby was mauled by a dog that someone had brought to this store next to our house, in a truck, and the dog came on our property, and attacked the kitten. That's when we started using Audubon Animal Hospital. It was on a Saturday when that happened, and we didn't know any Vets we could call. Luckily my cousin gave us the name of a Vet he used for his dog, and said that they made emergency calls. So my mom called them and this vet gave us directions on how to get to the clinic. His name was Dr. Chris Hyland. He still works there, as he is the head vet. We took the kitten in one of those animal trap cages that we had rented from the animal shelter, as we didn't have anything else to use. https://www.ruralking.com/animal-trap-cage-3lbs-4oz.html Dr. Hyland met us at the clinic, and immediately assessed the kitten. Sadly there was nothing he could do for the kitten. The dog had done some serious damage to the poor kitten. It had some serious head injuries, and internal injuries, not to mention the dog had broken the kitten's back and it couldn't use its back legs. So he made the decision to euthanize the kitten. He had taken some x-rays and told us that was the humane thing to do considering the injuries the kitten had suffered. He was very understanding and knew how upset we were. He too was sad about the kitten, and after he had euthanized her, he wrapped her up in a towel, and we put her back in the cage. Unfortunately at that time I don't think they did cremations. If they did, I didn't know about it. We brought the kitten back home, and mom fixed a small box, so I buried her on our property. Later after we made the decision to adopt Rascal and Shadow, we decided to use that same clinic, and we had the cats neutered. We have never been sorry for making that decision, because everyone who works at that clinic has been really good to us, and is always so nice when we bring our cats in for their yearly check ups and shots. They have another vet which we like. Her name is Doctor Nikki Curtis. We really like her. She is always so nice to our cats, and knows how to treat them. Luckily my cats don't make any trouble when we take them to the vets. They go into this "freeze mode" and just remain still while they get examined. The only time they have ever growled is when they have to get their temperatures taken. But I hold them while they get their temps taken so they don't bite the vet techs. ;) Everyone has their own favorite vets, and ours is Audubon. :winner:I wouldn't trust anyone else with my babies. :) Here is a picture I took one time of my cats sitting in my computer chair. A couple of high tech cats. LOL

Attachments

magister

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dr. Kim Mizzi
Ringwood Veterinary Clinic

Although sight damage means I'm unable to drive and there are vets a great deal closer to where I live, I'm more than happy to make the extra effort to get to this vet; while Kim owns/runs RVC, I wouldn't consider taking the little purrers anywhere else. From the moment one first meets her, Kim's care and concern for her patients and a deep love of her work could not be more apparent. :)

Being early January, 2013, and having had no pets since the death of my last cat in late '98, I had no idea regarding vets in my area. I called a few, but wasn't impressed by any of them (cool; clinical; detached; doing their job, but nothing more). Deciding to look further afield, I gave RVC a call.

After explaining that I'd just got two new kittens a few days before, and would have to get a cab to the clinic or arrange a home visit to have Kîa's spay stitches removed, I was put straight through to Kim. She offered to come that afternoon after hours, and charged nothing (i.e., nothing at all) for the visit. Kîa was a wild, fiercely independent little tear-away even then (although never savage or unpredictable), but she trusted Kim straight away; just laid quietly in my arms, eyes half closed, while her stitches were taken out. It was obvious that I'd found the right vet. :)

Nimrod was always timid, and although (like his sister) he hasn't a nasty bone in him, he gets too frightened around other people easily to get him to the clinic. Kim has been happy to come to the house at a heavily discounted rate, understanding his situation and the difficulties I'd have getting him there without him being frightened. Two years ago (not long after little Kîa died), when he was still a mess at losing his sister, and escaped and hid before Kim could give him his yearly injections, she was happy to come back without charge.

Her staff are equally superb; I've not had a single bad experience, and it's very obvious she's very careful about whom she chooses to work at her practice.

In just over three weeks, it'll be time for Rîna's and Tällia's yearly vet visit. As always, Kim will greet us with a smile and a cheery ‘hello! I can't believe it's been another year; hasn't time flown!

‘All-righty.’, as she lifts one or the other on to the table. ‘Pop on there. Oh, you're a good girl, aren't you! There you go, little button.’

Kim is one of a kind: rare and exceptional. I couldn't recommend her or RVC enough. :)

Angiemassi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I'm not living in the US, plus I'm a new member so I don't have any chance to win :-D but I still want to share my kitten story.

We found her in a cycling road beside a river, in the countryside of Treviso (near Venice, Italy, where me and my husband live).
She was sitting there with the face of one who thinks "god knows if I'm im a trouble!"
When I see her, I grabbed my husband's arm saying "look dear, a kitten!"
She was more than a kitten as she was maybe six months old.

Then we went there every day for feeding her, eventually took her home.
We named her Nola.

Nola was so afraid initially, but soon started exploring her new home, toys and so on. She felt in love with a red ball and made friendship with a stuffed mouse, they were inseparable.

No longer we noticed she was having some problems in breathing, coughing hard from time to time. WeShe took her to the vet who reassured us saying it was a mild form of feline asthma.
But the coughing went bad, and even more bad than bad.

So we started to taking her to all the vets we knew. Someone told us "she's just fine".
Someone else told us she had PIF (not sure about the acronym).
Someone told us it was a cardio problem.
We spent a LOT, and nobody was able to tell us what the problem was.

Via Facebook I asked for advice to a vet who stays 1.000 kilometers far from us, showing to her Nola's X rays.
She told me that she couldn't say it for sure having not visited the cat, but she believed the problem was lungworms, which were not very common in Italy since a decade ago, they're becoming a problem only recently.

In the meantime Nola was dying. She almost wasn't able to breath, she didn't eat by herself, I feeded her for 23 days with a spoon.

I was desperate. Then, my boss, who also loves cats, heard a phone call I made to another vet and asked me what was going on. He listened to me and replied that very near of us there were a young vet who was very good.

We saw, I think, 20 vets all around here.. For most of them Nola was just "another cat to visit" or even "another cat with a apprehensive 'mom' ". But when this vet first saw Nola, I remember him grabbing her gently in his arms, petting her on the head, saying gentle and calming words .
I was astonished, at first thinking "what is he doing?" ....I was used to the other vets who weren't any kind at all.
Then I remember I wanted to cry for his kindness.

This vet saved Nola not because she actually had lungworms and he treated her for this: she actually had lungworms AND other diseases that were solved by another animal hospital in Padova, BUT, without his treatment for the lungworms Nola would have DIED very soon.
He gave us some extra-time and directed us toward the Hospital "Clinica San Marco" where the doctor mr.Furlanello was able to help us for the other diseases she was carrying , diseases that were killing her, together to the lungworms.

The extra time gave from the lungworms treatment was FUNDAMENTAL for her to stay alive enough to be helped.
I will always remember his kindness to Nola, he was the only one who showed empathy to her, I will always be grateful to him and to doctor Furlanello who's actually a genius.

That's our story :-)
In the photo, Nola is thea one blind from one eye. The other one is Tofu

Attachments

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I'm not living in the US, plus I'm a new member so I don't have any chance to win :-D but I still want to share my kitten story.

We found her in a cycling road beside a river, in the countryside of Treviso (near Venice, Italy, where me and my husband live).
She was sitting there with the face of one who thinks "god knows if I'm im a trouble!"
When I see her, I grabbed my husband's arm saying "look dear, a kitten!"
She was more than a kitten as she was maybe six months old.

Then we went there every day for feeding her, eventually took her home.
We named her Nola.

Nola was so afraid initially, but soon started exploring her new home, toys and so on. She felt in love with a red ball and made friendship with a stuffed mouse, they were inseparable.

No longer we noticed she was having some problems in breathing, coughing hard from time to time. WeShe took her to the vet who reassured us saying it was a mild form of feline asthma.
But the coughing went bad, and even more bad than bad.

So we started to taking her to all the vets we knew. Someone told us "she's just fine".
Someone else told us she had PIF (not sure about the acronym).
Someone told us it was a cardio problem.
We spent a LOT, and nobody was able to tell us what the problem was.

Via Facebook I asked for advice to a vet who stays 1.000 kilometers far from us, showing to her Nola's X rays.
She told me that she couldn't say it for sure having not visited the cat, but she believed the problem was lungworms, which were not very common in Italy since a decade ago, they're becoming a problem only recently.

In the meantime Nola was dying. She almost wasn't able to breath, she didn't eat by herself, I feeded her for 23 days with a spoon.

I was desperate. Then, my boss, who also loves cats, heard a phone call I made to another vet and asked me what was going on. He listened to me and replied that very near of us there were a young vet who was very good.

We saw, I think, 20 vets all around here.. For most of them Nola was just "another cat to visit" or even "another cat with a apprehensive 'mom' ". But when this vet first saw Nola, I remember him grabbing her gently in his arms, petting her on the head, saying gentle and calming words .
I was astonished, at first thinking "what is he doing?" ....I was used to the other vets who weren't any kind at all.
Then I remember I wanted to cry for his kindness.

This vet saved Nola not because she actually had lungworms and he treated her for this: she actually had lungworms AND other diseases that were solved by another animal hospital in Padova, BUT, without his treatment for the lungworms Nola would have DIED very soon.
He gave us some extra-time and directed us toward the Hospital "Clinica San Marco" where the doctor mr.Furlanello was able to help us for the other diseases she was carrying , diseases that were killing her, together to the lungworms.

The extra time gave from the lungworms treatment was FUNDAMENTAL for her to stay alive enough to be helped.
I will always remember his kindness to Nola, he was the only one who showed empathy to her, I will always be grateful to him and to doctor Furlanello who's actually a genius.

That's our story :)
In the photo, Nola is thea one blind from one eye. The other one is Tofu
You have as much of a chance to win as anyone else. There are members from around the world and being new doesn't have anything to do with it. Welcome to TCS.

Angiemassi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have as much of a chance to win as anyone else. There are members from around the world and being new doesn't have anything to do with it. Welcome to TCS.
Oh, I read the rules where it's said you need to have 20 post minimum and that the prize can be shipped to US address only, anyhow I think it's okay even if it is so: it's a good thing to share good experience had with our vets :-)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I read the rules where it's said you need to have 20 post minimum and that the prize can be shipped to US address only, anyhow I think it's okay even if it is so: it's a good thing to share good experience had with our vets :)
It has been an eye-opener to me. And has given me several clues about what to advise people looking for GOOD vets.