Important Contest: Share With Us Your Favorite Experience / Memory Of Your Veterinarian – Aug 2017

kaymay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ENTRY

Jericho Animal Hospital, Jericho, New York (on Long Island).

When we found our first kitty, she was a two week old scrapper living under a rosebush in our back yard. I was honestly scared to death about how to take care of her--I'd never owned any pet bigger than a beta fish :). Jericho Animal Hospital was the first place we took her to, and they were absolutely amazing--they showed me how to take care of an unweaned baby (including how to "stimulate" her to pee, poop, etc., how to bottle feed, the formula to use, how to transition her to regular food, etc.) Without their help, Luna would not be the amazing (and healthy!) two year old furbaby she is today. So huge thanks to their entire staff (and their many cat lovers!)

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ENTRY

If it wasn't for our vets office- Dr. Selmonsky at East Bay Veterinary Hospital in Merrick, NY, we wouldn't have had our current cat, Foxy. In August 2016 we had gone there to sadly put our previous cat to sleep who was suffering kidney failure, and while devastated, we knew someday we would adopt again. However...we didn't think someday would turn into the following day. As we were leaving, we saw a tiny kitten sitting alone in a cage in the lobby. It turns out a litter of 6 was found abandoned outside a week earlier and all but one had been adopted. It seemed like fate and we knew she was meant for us, as if our other cat, Feeny, was saying she wanted us to be happy again. We decided to come back the next day to take her home after they fully vetted her. In 3 days it will be the 1 year anniversary of taking her home and it was the best decision we could have made! She's now 14 months old, the smartest and most entertaining cat i've ever met.

zzFoxy7.jpg

zzFoxy26.jpg

zzFoxy29.jpg

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
ENTRY
We love all the vets at Kryder Veterinary Clinic in Granger, IN, but one above all is dear to our rescue's heart. Dr. Donn Kryder can be gruff when you first meet him, but he knows his stuff and cares about our kids, and also understands our mission. As a rescue, we can't afford to do every test under the sun or try three different treatment options. What we need is someone who can quickly triage and say, yes, this kitty is probably saveable, or no, this one's not going to make it.
Dr. Kryder has saved more of my fosters than I can count, from Cecilia, who had a URI that just wouldn't go away (he came into the exam room singing "Celia, you're breaking my heart..." (that was the song she was named for!) to little Liza with pneumonia. Others of our kittens he has taken a cursory glance at and shook his head. I swear, the man has a sixth sense for FIP. He is always supportive in those moments, never rude or dismissive.
As a bonus, he is married to the amazing Dr. Kari Kryder, a veterinary surgeon of amazing skill!! But I think that will be the next post...

sadiesdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ENTRY #2
Dr. Stearns-Cat Care of Fayette again... They also take in rescues to adopt out. Two weeks after our poor Jasmine passed, me and my wife were devastated, to put it mildly. We had to take our other cat Lily to get staples out, and I happen to see a video of two kittens they had up for adoption. When we arrived they were already waiting on us, wanting to know what kittens/cats we might want to see for possible adoption. I said the two kittens you had the video of on Facebook, Sigmund was the boy's name, and I don't remember the girl's name. We found out, the mamma cat had been hit by a car, and someone found 4 kittens in the bushes and took them to Dr. Stearns. When I picked up Sigmund (now Jethro) he purred and made bread on my arm, and nuzzled his face in my beard, I couldn't say no. So now Lily has a little brother to keep her company and hopefully soothe her hurt from losing her sister. Here is Lily and Jethro. :)

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me too. :lol: Poor Hekitty vets. ;)

I love Mouse's vets, but because we're here in the UK can't enter the competition for the prize. :sigh: Mouse and I were at the practice just last week for a regular check-up and vaccinations... They now have Cat Friendly' status which doesn't surprise me. T

First off, when we went in to the reception area it was like Doggy Central! :eek2: 3 large dogs including a highly exciteable sheep dog bouncing all over the place. The vet nurse on reception imediately greeted us with a friendly 'hello' followed by 'would Mouse like a blanket for his carrier?' I looked down at Mr Chilled in his crate and declined the kind offer, but it was so lovely to be asked. He then spent a couple of minutes sitting next to the bouncing Collie with an expression on his face something along the lines of 'what an idiot that creature is'. :lol: Then we were called in to meet a recent vet arrival at the practice by the name of Kate, who hadn't met Mouse before.

Mouse isn't too keen on the vet's table although he hasn't had any really nasty experiences there, so he was a bit reserved and tried to slither on to the floor and get back to his carrier at first. Kate quickly put him and ease and had a nice gentle touch as she examined him so I didn't have to hold him on the table for long. Even when giving the vaccination she was very gentle and I don't think Mouse even knew what had happened. What I liked best was how nice she was when she told me that my darling 'little' Mouse had put on a full kilo in the last 3 years and that she thought it was time to do something about his weight. I was asked what I would think of going along to the 'Cat Weight Management Group' in a couple of weeks time and because she put it so nicely Mouse wasn't offended at all and has no idea what hard times are about to hit him. :evilgrin: Of course I asked her out-right if this was really an 'Obese Cat Clinic' to which she had to reply that it was, but when it came to the question of whether Mouse and I would have to go on long treadmill walks or anything when we went along she was most reassuring that it did not. A simple chat and a look at our feeding routines, and carefully calculated measurements for his food so he can get to a healthier weight safely. :sweat: I'll be very happy if she can do something about his wait - and - prey - will - come -to - me approach when it comes to play these days as he doesn't run about nearly as much as he used to, and I am sure that has a lot to do with his increasingly pudgy middle.

All the staff at the practice are lovely, and although they treat many dogs and other animals they obviously love cats, which is quite unusual here in the UK. Because Mouse really is a sweety, and quite chilled 'in the fur' he always gets lots of admiration when we go along there, so I am sure that going to this group in a couple of weeks time will be something Mouse will take in his stride despite it being at a vet surgery and having to take a car ride in his carrier there and back. If he gets a few snuggles and scritches from a veterinary nurse that will make his day. :rolleyes2: :catrub:
:lolup:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also not an entry, because I haven't had Jasmine long enough for any good vet stories, and all my old good vet stories are about vets who've moved or retired.

However,
ENTRY

Can team members enter? If not, just consider this another "Hekitty" story!

Havelock Animal Hospital, Dr. Paul

These guys have been taking care of Hekitty since day one. They have done a wonderful job with her, and with me. Now, you all know Hek. She is crammed full of tortitude and does not suffer her royal self being trifled with gladly. Or at all. The last time I took her in, just for her vaccines, chipping and nail clip, the receptionist called back, "Hekitty's here for her appointment," and a small voice from somewhere far away responded, "oh GOD!"
:lolup:

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , are you sure that Hekitty is just channeling Simon's Cat, not Sylvester the Talking Kitty Cat?

Margret

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Entry 1
Dr Michele Haruoles of Palmer animal Clinic in Palmer (obviously!), Ma.
While sadly, I no longer use this vet, if Dr Michele ever went out on her own I would be her first customer! She went above and beyond while we were at her practice. She would call me to check on the cats when they were having issues, and even stopped by my work to ask me about one particularly ill cat of mine. This is Monster (the absolute worst name for her - she was as sweet as could be), the cat that was so ill.
Monster.JPG

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ENTRY #2

As I mentioned in the first post, we love Dr. Selmonsky of East Bay Veterinary Hospital in Merrick, NY. We have used him for pets in our family for many years. One thing that stands out in my mind though, is when my previous cat Feeny had a cancerous tumor on her foot, he did everything he could to save her and remove the tumor. She ended up cancer free after that, and lived a few more years until she succomed to kidney failure. Through that process as well, he was extremely compassionate and understanding.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
All the staff at Bells Corners Animal Hospital are beautiful people. Located in Nepean, Ontario, Canada. I take my four cats there. They had absolutely no problems dealing with the two feral kittens I took them. A few of the staff members volunteer at the local Humane Society and they praised me for rescuing the feral kittens. They praised me again when they found out I kept them indoors and socialized them. I socialized the feral kittens at work. They thought it was great when I took them home to live with my other cats and told me I did a great job at socializing Kitty and Rusty.

For the feral kittens the first visit was for URI and eye infection. They recommended I let that clear up before shots. Then they recommended I do shots before spay and neuter operations. They knew I had them indoors and wanted to space out each step because of possible side affects from shots. They did not charge me for the visit when I got the shots, just the shots, and they gave them a minor checkup to make sure URI and eyes were clearing up before the shots. They took their time as they knew I was all set to take my time in socializing them. No major trauma and now Kitty and Rusty have no problem going there :)

Kitty and Rusty going in to make sure URI and eye infections clearing up and then shots.
Kitty has scratches on her nose from trying to get out a metal framed window.

I almost forgot to point out. They got one of their customer to agree to push their annual checkup visit so they could take Rusty ASAP because his URI was bad. One time I took Taz and Zoe in for shots and they apologized for making me wait because they had an emergency. I told them no need to apologize and if need be I could come back. They had me wait. I think they pushed everyone a bit and stayed late that day. I felt so bad for the woman they pushed me for, her little kitty was dying and I had to fight back the tears because it was so incredibly heart breaking.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ENTRY

Long, long ago we had a vet in Panama City, Florida. I am ashamed to say that I have forgotten his name, but it's been almost 45 years, so perhaps I can be forgiven. We gave him LOTS of business, between Gray, our 27 pound tomcat (no fat...he stood a good 18" at the shoulder, just BIG) and our dog, Kimberly Anne. He got Kim through repeated surgeries for mammary cancers, and her arthritis. He took care of our animals for 17 years or more, starting with Gray. When Kim was a bit over 14 years old, her arthritis had made her life a misery. We took her in for her final visit, and as usual, she pranced in (although very stiffly), eager to see her friend. When it was over, he sat down by the exam table, pressed his face against hers with tears in his eyes, and whispered, "I am so sorry I failed you. I will miss you so much." That says everything about what kind of man and doctor he was.

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cotswold Animal Hospital , Charlotte , NC , Dr Jason White has cared for Psycho for the past 8 years. Psycho is not the friendliest cat when he goes in for visits but Dr. White knows how to handle him.
We ve recently started caring for a feral who we call Hitch and when we came back from a few days away we noticed he had a cut on his paw. It was Friday at about 5 when I called the office to see if Dr White would give me an antibiotic for him. The girl said he just left but he could do it on Monday. Saturday morning they called me and told me Dr White came back when they called him and wrote the prescription for Hitch.
He did not have to do that for a feral but he did and that shows me he is a very caring person.
Yep, we love Dr White

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY 3
Spay Neuter Clinic in Wexford PA
We have taken about 30 cats to this clinic for spays/neuters, rabies vaccines and pain meds! They do a wonderful job, great prices and they are great about fitting us in with several cats in one day! They do an exam before every spay and call us if they think any cats need a dental or anything like that- which I think is thoughtful! It is worth us driving an hour and a half with screaming cats for their spays/neuters!

Ashley Guadarrama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Entry

I have two vets i go to i go to South bay Veterianry Hospital when i am stateside and when i am in mexico or am a bit short on money i go to LOVET animal clinic in Tijuana.

One time my Sadie was having breathing problema so i called up South Bay Vet Hospital and told then what was happening and they told me to head over and they quickly attended my little girl. I was told that she would be placed in a special oxeginated cage and i would have to put a deposit of 400 dollars down for her to recieve treatment. Right as i was about to one of the vet assistants came out said Sadie was stable so instead of the cage she should just get a check up which is 46 dollars but still alot for me. So the vet comes in and checks on Sadie and tells me how amazing she is doing and that she is an incredibly healthy cat and that the breathing problems could have just been her being spooked. He then proceeded to give sadie a full physical and then told the nurse attending us that todays visit would be free of charge and if i came back for the same thing not to charge me.

The doctor at the LOVET animal clinic is a God send. Both my cats Sadie (grey/blue) and Sunny(red) had a peeiod where they were just continuously getting sick throwing up. This doctor would treat both my cats give me meds for them cut their nails for 20 dollars 30 at most. And the follow up appointment is free I also never actually make appointments you just show up when you do.

Attachments

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just realized that while I posted on 2 different days, my 2 entries were less than 24 hours apart...anyone know if they will still both be counted?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
ENTRY 4
Cheat Lake Animal Hospital
We go to this vet for emergencies when our vet is closed! Which was the case with Sabrina. Sabrina came to us pregnant from a kill shelter that vaccinated her during the pregnancy. Sadie came from a colony with her also pregnant sister Sadie. Sadie had kittens shortly after arriving here, sadly since they were vaccinated only one survived the next couple of days. Sabrina went into labor a week later. Most of hers were stillborn, the ones who weren't were so premature they didn't even have fur on them. When I discovered her deceased kittens she was laying in her nesting box with Sadie cuddling with her and her kittens for comfort.
17361670_1464200683631649_4808462900173287948_n.jpg

Sadie is on the bottom in this picture.
Later that day after we thought she had delivered all of her kittens we discovered that she had one more and it was stuck. So we rushed her to Cheat Lake. They got the kitten out, did an x-ray to make sure there weren't anymore, and gave her a shot to stimulate contractions to get whatever else out.
Sabrina made a full recovery and her and her sister were spayed and are both still waiting for their furever home where they will be adopted together!
Sabrina now!
IMG_1041.jpg
IMG_3632.jpg

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
ashade1 ashade1
I have always been partial to Ginger Kitties :) My grandmother gave me the coolest Ginger Kitty when I was a teenager. I love more than words can say that first photo. Simply Beautiful! My work is getting crazy busy and I might not be on here much for the next while. My vote is for sure this photo. There may be better but this touched my heart :)

Dusti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_0132.JPG
ENTRY

Red Bank Veterinary Hospital in Tinton Falls NJ. My adopted rescue Pogo is alive today because of them. I was in the waiting room of the hospital when a Good Samaritan brought in this tiny kitten who couldn't have been more than two weeks old with a severely mangled rear leg. The hospital took her in without question as the man, who was a construction worker who found her on their site signed her over to them. She was immediately seen by a vet and admitted to the hospital, as she was week, emaciated, and was in shock due to blood loss.. I asked what would happen to her and they said it would depend on the doctors evaluation. I asked to speak to the doctor and was told her leg was to be amputated because it was severely damaged, but she wasn't out of the woods due to her poor condition. I asked where she would go from there and they said "up for adoption'. I knew right then and there she was to be mine. I visited her at the hospital daily for the next month, and there were others talking about taking her home but still she sat in a cage for the next six weeks until finally I got the word that she would be discharged into my care. Walking on three legs became easy for her because it happened at such a young age, (this happened in September 1998) and today she is a healthy 19 year old girl who had it not been for the skills and dedication to their patients of Dr Salmeri, Dr Trotter, and Dr Parthum, may not be here today! She has given me years of love and companionship and rules the roost over her two younger brothers (also rescues).