Containers for freezing raw

Dario the GreyCat

Owned by Dario since 10/09/2019
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe a strange question, Darwin's comes in pretty convenient patties, but I recently ordered from Hare-Today and it seems to come in bulk packages. I'm also planning on looking at recipes on here to make my own raw. So, to my question; what containers have you found the most efficient to use?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are suggestions here:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
For me, that’s a two-part question.

Part 1: I grind my own meat, so I buy 20-25 pounds of meat at a time, grind it within a day or two, and freeze it in silicone bags like these until I need to make a batch of food.

Part 2: After I thaw the meat and make the food, I apportion it into these Rubbermaid containers and refreeze. One container holds exactly the right amount to feed my three cats one meal. I feed twice a day so I go through two containers a day. I think your choice of container might depend on how many cats you have and how often you feed them. You don’t want your food to sit in the fridge for too long before you feed it so you’ll want to consider how you rotate frozen into the fridge and when it will be thawed.

I paid less than this because I found mine when they were on sale and bought a bunch of them.

Here’s the fridge:
8D13F456-A235-4C0B-AEC8-E51D1B419F68.jpeg
And the freezer:
B901A8AB-E730-4AD9-A135-C97D9365C39D.jpeg 42417E32-85B3-478A-889B-699FAAF9A192.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dario the GreyCat

Owned by Dario since 10/09/2019
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I'd been sifting through Amazon and choice fatigue set in, I really appreciate these!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much! I'd been sifting through Amazon and choice fatigue set in, I really appreciate these!
I know. It’s a little overwhelming. I would have preferred glass, but I didn’t want all of the weight in my pull-out freezer drawer.

Here’s 205 grams or about 7.2 ozs. of food so you can see how full the container is. This one is tomorrow morning’s meal so it’s not fully thawed yet.
74754696-6C07-45E1-8090-16EFE9FF54EA.jpeg

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Definitely these:

Ball 16oz 12pk Glass Wide Mouth Mason Jar with Lid and Band

Widemouth and freezer safe. Been using them for almost a year now without any problems.
Thank you so much. I wasn't sure if these were freezer safe or not.

I've been using the store brand of zippered freezer bags, but I'm not comfortable washing them out the way I do with my own (veg*n) food and we go through a LOT of them!

@Dario, Mason Jars come in all sorts of different sizes and are very handy to have around for people food as well. I cook in them, reheat food in them in a conventional (not microwave) oven, and carry them around in a six-pack cooler for warm picnics in the winter. You might find them used on Craig's List or at a garage sale when an older woman has to sell her house or farm.

Some of my mason jars are over 20 years old and still going strong! :D

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recycle glass jars for this. Not every jar is suitable for freezing (they need to have no shoulders) but luckily the ones I buy are, plus they are perfect size for our needs. I avoid using single use plastic so ziplocks are not an option. As for plastic like containers, I have a feeling that food stored in plastic tastes differently for my girl (she wouldn’t eat the canned food transferred to plastic to put in the fridge, but she has no such problem with food transferred to glass jar). But for my boy it doesn’t make any difference. Unfortunately glass jars take more space then anything else :( it’s managable for me with 2 cats only at the moment, but when I start buying bigger chunks of food, I’m going to have to give all the freezer space to cats I’m afraid...

Edit: canned food, not foot..... :updown: I don’t store any foot in my fridge.

Last edited:

BaileyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use the Extreme Freeze containers. Last for years and years! Available in different sizes.

• Freezable Deli Food Containers with tight sealing lids
  • Heavy Guage Engineered Polypropylene Plastic - Quart Size
  • Microwaveable - Reuseable - Dishwasher Safe. Designed especially for Freezing, capable of withstanding temperature to (-40 degrees ) for extended periods of time.
  • Commercial Restaurant Quality - Deli Takeout Container