Contacting Breeders - Question For Breeders

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi All,

We're already on the wait list for a Maine Coon, however, it's still another 1-1/2 (actually nearly 2!) years before our turn for a kitten comes up. That breeder is quite far from us and while we still want one of their kittens (we prefer the look of the cats over all the others we've seen) we also don't want to necessarily want that long before we add another cat to our household.

A little background: We lost our older boy nearly 6 months ago. Our younger one is doing fine but we believe she could use the companionship of another cat, as she does like them. Waiting another 2 years doesn't make sense and we are financially sound enough to eventually have 3 cats. So, now that we're out of the "fog" of having lost Casper we're ready to add another one to our home, however, we do still want an MC. Yes, we could add another rescue but if we happened to find an MC that fits our criteria now, we *might* give up our spot on the other one and down the road, consider adding another rescue.

Ok with that out of the way...our second pick for an MC breeder was actually our 1st pick. She is much closer, in our state, only a couple of hours away - it sure would be a lot less expensive to drive to her, than to take a flight out to the mid-west let alone it's 2 tickets, hotel, car rental, cat sitter for our other cat Bean, etc. so that adds up on top of the kitten fee!

Pretty sure, we had met this breeder several years back at a cat show and were impressed with her cats. Had followed her web site and kittens but then, a few years back she stopped using the web site and only used Facebook instead. We, both left Facebook at least 2 years ago due to the negativity that developed around it once you know who became president.

Anyway, I do still have a throw away account with Facebook though, and would periodically look at the breeders page. We knew she'd expanded into Bengals also. The other day, saw that she had 2 new litters; a set of tabbies and a set of solids and, that all were available (I assume, being a long established breeder her kittens go quickly so no need for her to worry about whether or not she'll be able to home them). The solids caught our eye. She had written on the page that the way to contact her was, through the page. So, first I wrote in the comment section a short note that I was interested.

I got no response from that, but realized that I may not have set up the FB page to receive them. So, I wrote a detailed email to her also giving as much info as possible. That was later in the day yesterday.

I'm wondering what is a reasonable amount of time for a breeder to get back to you? And, if they would even get back if NOT interested in you as being a potential adoptee? The other breeder had a very formal way of doing things; we had to send in an extremely long questionnaire, and an email and then, if they accepted this they sent people back an acceptance email welcoming them to the wait list. But this person, is not doing it formally at all so not sure what to expect here. And I don't want to be pushy but, I'm also not sure if I should maybe just pick up the phone and call also? Who knows if she is reading her emails regularly, or her Facebook comments? Maybe she's one of those people who wants people to make the effort so she knows they truly are interested?

Aaah! spinning my wheels here! It's only been since later on Friday although her page says she responds usually within 24 hours. I keep reminding myself "but, it's the weekend" and maybe she's away and also, she's caring for 2 new litters which I'm sure is overwhelming to do. And may be inundated with inquiries let alone, her own life in general to lead. So, my husband and I are trying to be patient but, also, really enamored with the solid black one we saw so, not doing too well with the patience at the moment LOL.

Thoughts? Comments? A reality check and a kick in the butt for us? :flail:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate it that the breeders have gone to FB (even though I am on FB) instead of keeping up the websites. I think all are a valuable tool for them. I sort of understand why since it can be expensive to keep up a website while FB is free. Did you email or message her on FB? Email may be slow to be checked while messages seem to get checked quickly. I tend to check email once a day for my cattery. I have a personal email too which I check more often. Messages I respond to as soon as I can, usually within a few hours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate it that the breeders have gone to FB (even though I am on FB) instead of keeping up the websites. I think all are a valuable tool for them. I sort of understand why since it can be expensive to keep up a website while FB is free. Did you email or message her on FB? Email may be slow to be checked while messages seem to get checked quickly. I tend to check email once a day for my cattery. I have a personal email too which I check more often. Messages I respond to as soon as I can, usually within a few hours.
I did send a message through FB but, not sure if that BS account I have is set up to actually send/receive messages and, can't be bothered to go through all the mechanics to find out if it is since that account isn't even in my real name (I explained that in my email to her).

The message went directly to the cattery group and is viewable, I see it so I know it's there.

Last time she updated her website was like, 2016 I think but she very regularly uses the FB page, nearly daily in fact.

Interestingly, the chef Bobby Flay has cats from both of these breeders. I believe I found out that his first cat, Nacho, came from this breeder right after I discovered her hence why I started to follow her (Nacho is very good looking!). The other breeder, I found on my own a couple of years ago and by coincidence, Flay recently acquired a 2nd kitten. I saw her, and was like "darn that kitten looks EXACTLY like one of that other breeders recent kittens" which, happened to be one of my favorites. Sure enough, it was her. Glad my eye for MC's was getting good enough to recognize her! Another reason, why I trust both of these breeders - I figure if they are good enough for famous people they certainly are good enough for me lol.

Anyway, I guess I'll give it another day or so and after that, try to call. And if no response give up. In the meantime, I'm looking through PetFinder and see several beautiful long haired kitties very near me that we'd be thrilled to give a home to. And we would truly, be just as happy and will then just wait it out the 2 years as originally planned.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people Liek my husband, very rarely check their E-mails. There may be a good reson for her not responding. I would try to call her, or at least wait until you somehow contact her. I would NOT wait two years for a kitten, you have too much love to give to wait that long! Bless you for giving a loving home to another....

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some people Liek my husband, very rarely check their E-mails. There may be a good reson for her not responding. I would try to call her, or at least wait until you somehow contact her. I would NOT wait two years for a kitten, you have too much love to give to wait that long! Bless you for giving a loving home to another....
Well, we wouldn't wait 2 years for a kitten, just for the MC one LOL.
We always said we would get another rescue before that. It was just the other Maine Coon breeder popped up into our sights that it kind of changed our plans if we could get hold of her.
Going to show my husband a bunch of kittens I "bookmarked" in Petfinder later today and see if any of them make his heart leap :)
If not, we are actively looking now. No rush. But on the path for sure for another one :hearthrob:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update: Just put a deposit down on a black female kitten with the breeder!

Took a couple of days for her to get back to me - happened to look at FB and she had written me back earlier this morning. I just went ahead and called her, had a lovely talk, filled her in on my background, situation etc. She's very easy going about her process - not too concerned about checking up on me as her experience has been nobody pays that much money for a kitten to wind up mistreating them.

Sent a deposit to hold ours. She'll send pix every few weeks to us, along with all pertinent other info, and she'll be ready for us to come get her end August at 14 weeks old. I like that she's keeping them around that long, socialization will be really good by then and I was thinking about taking some time off at the end of the summer so that will work out that I can be home to settle the kitten in along with my husband. We'll be responsible for having her spayed - I had forgotten MC's are slow growers and the breeder mentioned that we should ideally wait until she's at least 6 months until we have that done.

We're very excited!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you get tired of waiting, please consider a Maine Coon rescue group. put Maine Coon Cat rescue groups in the google and see what you get. I just did a quick google and here's the first to come up and they are looking for adopters.

Adopt – Maine Coon Adoptions
I'm fully aware of rescues thanks. We already have a MC look-alike (see my profile photo) and love her dearly. We were open to purebreds that needed re-homing and looked around for purebreds for a long while, but none were to be found. I know sometimes you can find them (we nearly adopted a purebred Ragdoll some years ago) but they do not come up frequently.

Also, apparently you didn't read my post above - we put a deposit on a purebred kitten with the breeder I wrote about earlier this morning so alls well that ends well.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From your post I didn't realize that you knew there were rescues for t for purebred Maine Coon cats, that's why I mentioned it. I thought you should have the option if you didn't know and wanted it, even after you put down the deposit.

Of course it's wonderful you found the purebred you wanted.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Updating.

Was at the New Jersey Cat Expo today. The breeder was there, showing one of her cats so I had a chance to meet her in person. Glad we went. Was worth introducing ourselves and having a little chat. She also had with her, aside from the male cat she was showing a female along for the ride who was so incredibly sweet and friendly - made us both happy to see how social she was with us. Also met one of her other customers who was showing a 1 year old they got from her last year - a smoke colored female. Gorgeous cat. They told us it's their 2nd cat from her, the other one is 3 years old and 18 pounds (the 1 year old is 13 pounds). The owners were very informative (well, the husband anyway - the wife didn't have much to say). He also confirmed for us the breeders laid back way of doing business, so at least now we know for sure that it was nothing out of the ordinary the way it went for us.

We didn't suck up too much of the breeders time because we found out she's actually *someone* on the circuit; aside from breeding/showing she also judges and runs shows. It was very clear she was in high demand by many people there so we kept it relatively short - enough time to let her know we're normal people LOL.

Once I start having more info sent to me I'll be happy to share the name of the cattery if anyone happens to be searching for a reputable purebred Maine Coon breeder. I don't feel comfortable giving out the name yet until things are a little more settled.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
:yess: So glad you got to meet the breeders. Do keep us updated and let us know who they are when you get your kitten.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update: Have been in touch with the breeder now and have more info :hyper:

The kitten we saw in the FB photo IS our kitten. She was the only black solid in the litter, so I now at least am sure the picture I have is of her.

We have a tentative time frame to drive down to pick her up first week of September. She's had her first set of vaccinations and will have the 2nd set right before we get her. The litter took longer than expected to wean and is being stubborn about eating kibble but she expects by the time she comes to live with us she'll be eating both wet and dry. Frankly I'd be fine with her not eating kibble at all or prefers not to, but I understand that's the way she's raising her kittens.

She's going to send photographs in the next week or so, once the litter has their first baths - I assume she likes to have them nicely groomed for their first official photos. I'm actually glad that she does this, because getting a kitten accustomed to bathing is helpful. We've rarely had to bath our cats but it was somewhat dicey doing it for cats we adopted as adults, not knowing how they'd react.

Last, she'll send out a full package of information prior to us coming down to pick up the kitten so that we can prepare for her arrival. While we certainly know a lot of what to do, I also need to be sure we have the right food to start her off with in order to avoid possible tummy troubles. We already have scheduled Bean for her biannual vet visit to ensure she's not harboring anything to pass along to the kitten either.

We're getting excited now! And here's a photo of the litter, there was only 2 of them in the solids. Obviously, she's the black one. I was being cautious about sharing it until I knew for sure that she was absolutely ours but it feels pretty safe to do so now :clap:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Updated photo! Sent to me Friday via Facebook so quality isn't great as I had to copy it from there.

Her ears have come up nicely, love that left curly tuft on the tip, and her muzzle is getting pronounced now too. :bliss:

I think her eyes are going to be on the green side. Oh, and she isn't solid black - turns out she's a Smoke! She's lighting up as she gets older now. Can't remember which was which but one of her parents was Smoke, the other solid black.

She goes for her final vaccinations this week. Sounds like we are on target to pick her up beginning September.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats! :bouquet: She's amazing - have you thought about or decided on a name yet?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats! :bouquet: She's amazing - have you thought about or decided on a name yet?
Thank you!
We've been thinking but, as I'm sure you know, we need to have her here in person to figure her name out LOL. We've tossed around a few names but nothing feels right yet, since we don't know her personality.
The only one that we both like is Batgirl - because of her ears but of course, one can't go around calling her that and we can't think of a cute nickname that makes sense for that either. We could use it for her registered name, if we decided we'd like to actually go that route I suppose :D

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The only one that we both like is Batgirl - because of her ears but of course, one can't go around calling her that and we can't think of a cute nickname that makes sense for that either.
Bat backwards is Tab, perhaps you could call her Tabatha. :think:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update: We pick her up this coming Tuesday, 9/3 :hyper:
I'll be able to share more details once we have her home. Like I mentioned already I've been hesitant, a combination of not wanting to jinx myself and, also because the breeder keeps a low social media profile but has some high profile clients and it didn't feel right to throw the name around until I was positive she was coming home with us.
Will start a new thread once she's home and settled in with plenty of photos!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's home!
No name yet - we're tossing a few around and I'm letting my husband take the lead but I'm nixing ones that I really dislike. At the moment, Eclipse is in the forefront but not sure if it will stick

She's very very sweet. Extremely well socialized as promised. A bit shy but that's expected since it's her first day with us but we're able to get her playing and once she's involved she forgets her trepidation and goes about being a cat. Allows belly rubs, has given us little face nudges, is quite talkative, and right now is curled up on our guest room bed in my husbands arms. She scoffed down her wet food dinner like a champ. Likes all the stuff we have for her in her playpen where she'll be safe and sound for a week or so except for when we take her out to interact with her.

Cocoabean, has been camped out in front of her door quite a bit. She absolutely knows there's a cat in there even though we sneaked in with her really well. Is NOT perturbed at all. Is not hissing. Is not angry. Is not annoyed. Acting completely normal other than wanting to come into the room. I get the feeling it will go very smoothly once she sees the kitten but for the sake of both of their health and safety, we'll continue to keep them separated at least until Friday when the kitten sees our vet. We'll judge the situation once that happens.

She's a lot smaller than I thought she would be - which I'm happy about. I thought I might miss out on that tiny kitten stage since she's already 16 weeks but, apparently not.

Oh and, the breeder backtracked and now feels she indeed is solid black. Her kitten coat went through some changes I guess but now that she's older, she looks pure black, not smoke, which it seemed she might be a few weeks ago.

Anyway here's a couple of photos I shot today. I am learning kittens are not easy to photograph, as you all probably know, the move around a LOT!

My husband took this one of her ears :D

Last edited: