Constipation?

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
My beautiful Mia pictured had passed away just over a year ago due to cancer. I now have a new kitty. Will post a pic soon as I figure out how :) My new 10 year old adoptee is named Phoebe. She is a large old girl who spent about 7 of her 10 years is various shelters. She is deaf, she has a cyst in the corner of one eye and one on top her head and a tiny one in her ear. Anyway, she is also on a kidney diet just as one lab is slightly elevated. She is very happy, very loud and follows me room to room wanting to be with me :) But Phoebe seems to be constipated. She does not eat a ton but does eat and drink fine. She was doing larger stools more often but now it seems she is doing just a few real small pebbles every day or two. Should I give her something in her food to help her go, anyone know? Thanks for any answers if anyone knows for sure? ... whatever

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Do you know if the kidney diet is a recent change or if Phoebe been on it for a while? Is it wet or dry food?

I think a lot of people add a little canned pumpkin to cat food to help when their cat is constipated but I don't know if this is good when on a kidney diet. Hopefully someone with more experience and knowledge about this will see your post.

If Phoebe looks to be straining or uncomfortable it is worth getting her a check up with your vet. Hope you see her looking all healthy very soon - she sounds like a determined and strong character and fun to have following you around . :loveeyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you know if the kidney diet is a recent change or if Phoebe been on it for a while? Is it wet or dry food?

I think a lot of people add a little canned pumpkin to cat food to help when their cat is constipated but I don't know if this is good when on a kidney diet. Hopefully someone with more experience and knowledge about this will see your post.

If Phoebe looks to be straining or uncomfortable it is worth getting her a check up with your vet. Hope you see her looking all healthy very soon - she sounds like a determined and strong character and fun to have following you around . :loveeyes:

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I need to carefully research but in the meantime have made a few steps being cautious. I believe one of her labs was just a "tad" elevated and the shelter that had her panicked and immediately put her on this KD dry food and wet food diet. Therefore, I have a feeling she has not been on it long at all. I went today and grabbed a small bag of dry Purina One. She gets a teaspoon of wet Sheba with warm water added twice each day and had started a sprinkle of Lysine in that. So this evening, I added a small amount of Miralax to that wet food. She has been eating less and less, and such a really small amount she can't maintain her life on it. So my thought is to change her diet and see if she picks up eating and add the little bit of Miralax just a time or two. My daughter has a 17 yo kitty with thyroid disease for several years now and kidney problem starting and they've tried every type KD diet there is and she won't eat and is a skinny type girl already so the decision was made some time ago to just let her eat what she wants and she is happy and doing quite well. Sometimes it gets to a point it seems where you either starve and force the kidney diet which can cause illness due to not eating or give in and let her be happy and keep an eye on things. She just had a physical with labs before I adopted her which was less than 2 months ago. I plan on waiting just another month or two according to how things are going, just due to all the stress she's been under. Of course she will be seen at the vet. But wish us luck with getting my girl on the road to happiness.....thank you all, whatever

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd probably take her to the vet when you can. The eating less and less might also be due to constipation. There seems to be some magic combo of soluble and insoluble fiber that needs to do its thing in the cat's gut to move them from chronic constipation to regularity. Because of the kidney issue, I'm just not sure what impact some of the home remedy solutions can have. My vet has recommended the hairball medication for constipation too--which is basically flavored vasoline. The vasoline does NOT get absorbed in the gut and helps move stuff in the desired direction. I have put a blob of vasoline in butter and have seen results in a day. Constipation can got to be a major expensive emergency in short order so if the vet can do a regular enema or give a stool softener, that would be good.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
That looks like sounds advice from laura mae.

One thought with the sprinkle of L Lysine you are adding to her food: unless she is showing active signs of feline herpes this is something worth cutting out as it can cause extra strain on the liver and kidneys filtering proteins. If you feel she benefits and does have FHV it is more gentle on her to use only when she shows symptoms and follow on for a couple of weeks afterward as a support to supporess the virus until her body builds up strength.

Hope you see her well soon.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Miralax is ok to use on kidney cats. I've had three kidney cats, and our Vet gave the AOK to use it. 1/8th to 1/4 teasp. twice a day, every day, as kidney cats are very prone to constipation.

Our Vet said eating is number ONE, so to let them eat any and every thing they want, just TRY to keep the phosphorus low. If we could find a food low in phos, GREAT, but if not, so be it.

This website Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat was my "go to" for all things kidney related. It's not interactive like we are, but is does provide all kinds of info. You might find it beneficial. I always referred to it before Vet visits, after Vet visits, etc.

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
That looks like sounds advice from laura mae.

One thought with the sprinkle of L Lysine you are adding to her food: unless she is showing active signs of feline herpes this is something worth cutting out as it can cause extra strain on the liver and kidneys filtering proteins. If you feel she benefits and does have FHV it is more gentle on her to use only when she shows symptoms and follow on for a couple of weeks afterward as a support to supporess the virus until her body builds up strength.

Hope you see her well soon.

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
mservant, thank you so much. I stopped the Lysine weeks ago. Love your advice. So nice to come on here :)
whatever

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Miralax is ok to use on kidney cats. I've had three kidney cats, and our Vet gave the AOK to use it. 1/8th to 1/4 teasp. twice a day, every day, as kidney cats are very prone to constipation.

Our Vet said eating is number ONE, so to let them eat any and every thing they want, just TRY to keep the phosphorus low. If we could find a food low in phos, GREAT, but if not, so be it.

This website Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat was my "go to" for all things kidney related. It's not interactive like we are, but is does provide all kinds of info. You might find it beneficial. I always referred to it before Vet visits, after Vet visits, etc.

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for sharing about the Miralax. This is like walking through a maze and hoping you choose the right way............

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you..........

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd probably take her to the vet when you can. The eating less and less might also be due to constipation. There seems to be some magic combo of soluble and insoluble fiber that needs to do its thing in the cat's gut to move them from chronic constipation to regularity. Because of the kidney issue, I'm just not sure what impact some of the home remedy solutions can have. My vet has recommended the hairball medication for constipation too--which is basically flavored vasoline. The vasoline does NOT get absorbed in the gut and helps move stuff in the desired direction. I have put a blob of vasoline in butter and have seen results in a day. Constipation can got to be a major expensive emergency in short order so if the vet can do a regular enema or give a stool softener, that would be good.

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Laura Mae and your advice is spot on...........whatever

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so here's sort of the story. Saw Phoebe on line and felt bad and fell in love too. Imagine, in shelters most of her whole life to have it end in a shelter still. When I picked up Phoebe I was sort of bombarded with things the shelter did not really share with me on line but waited till I got there and fell in love :( Then I asked and was told about the 3 cysts, ear, eye and head. Then they told me about her kidneys and that she had a murmur. Not before I went but right when I got there. I just don't think that is a good way of doing things. That being said, I finally hated the trauma but took Phoebe to the vet two days ago. They said they could not believe that fluid was not taken from her cysts and that is the only way you can tell if it's benign or malignant. I will soon down the road have that done and the one on the eye they said they could do real easy and at a reasonable cost. They said her murmur is at 4 out of 6. They recommended an echo cardiogram to see what meds they could put her on. We discussed her kidneys and they are at the low end of the scale but have increased (labs) just a bit. They said I was doing the right thing by giving her the food she wants so she would eat and poop and not starve. I sprinkle Miralax on top of the dry food and it sticks pretty good and she eats it as I have tried pumpkin every way I could and no way! LOL She is pooping again much better. We have a long way to go. She runs and hides when folks come into my apt. but cries real loud and follows me to whatever room I am in. We love each other :) And I am so comfortable and happy to have friends here to share all this with....thanks! whatever

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
:rock: :vibes: For bringing Phoebe in to your home and giving her another life full of love and comfort and care.

The vet visit sounds well worth the visit and I hope Phoebe is recovering quickly from the experience, not so distressed that you will worry about having to take her back for those test. :vibes: Lots of positive vibes for the cysts to be benign and not troublesome to her, and the murmer be easily managed. Phoebe sounds like a determined cat and she deserves this comfortable new home life of hers, being your new kitty body guard and constant companion. :catrub:

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
:rock: :vibes: For bringing Phoebe in to your home and giving her another life full of love and comfort and care.

The vet visit sounds well worth the visit and I hope Phoebe is recovering quickly from the experience, not so distressed that you will worry about having to take her back for those test. :vibes: Lots of positive vibes for the cysts to be benign and not troublesome to her, and the murmer be easily managed. Phoebe sounds like a determined cat and she deserves this comfortable new home life of hers, being your new kitty body guard and constant companion. :catrub:

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dear mservant....thanks and yes, I had to get on the right page with Phoebe. We will take a step at a time and I just feel like I could have her a year or several years but she will be spending these years knowing peace and love....and she is so happy already, sitting in the window feeling the air and watching the robins and such. I so love her! :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like you are perfect for each other, and Phoebe is having the time of her life right now. What can be better than to feel safe and loved. Maybe she has her health issues, but your positive care is undoubtably going to ensure this time together is special.
:sunshine: