Constipation sick kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had no respiratory symptoms either, just limping, lethargy, and wouldn’t eat. Buprenorphine is really strong. It doesn’t take much to cause constipation. Ask the vet for Onsior. It’s an anti-inflammatory that works well.
Hi,
My kitty still isn't feeling well. She pooping now but still not wanting to move around much. The limp is gone from the front but I've noticed she is trying to stretch her back alot. I did some research and when she was a kitten she had her booster vaccine for calicivirus (combo with two others) and 15 days later we took her to vet for a limp. Almost exact symptoms as this time except it was a back leg. We assumed she jumped wrong. Now 17 days ago she got her booster again and the limping started. Seems pretty fishy to me. If this is calicivirus how long does it last? I asked my vet tech about it and she didn't even know what it was. She said she would ask the vet but they never did. I'm not happy with them and the follow up is terrible. I'm not taking her back there. I'm hoping she will gradually get better. If she gets worse we are going to a different vet. I'm in the process of trying to get copies of her records. I wouldn't take her to a vet now unless she gets worse as it's so stressful for her. She seems pretty chipper in the mornings but by afternoon then she's sleepy and not wanting to move much again. Appetite is okay but she isn't drinking much. I try to get her to eat wet food but she likes her dry better. Also can this limping calici happen in older cats? She's 18 months. Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it can happen at any age. My cat who had it is ten years old. It sounds like the vaccine itself may have triggered this flare up in your cat. I hope your kitty gets better, but you may want to go ahead and see another vet. They can give supportive care such as fluids and an anti-inflammatory. The vet can even call for records from the other vet.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it can happen at any age. My cat who had it is ten years old. It sounds like the vaccine itself may have triggered this flare up in your cat. I hope your kitty gets better, but you may want to go ahead and see another vet. They can give supportive care such as fluids and an anti-inflammatory. The vet can even call for records from the other vet.
Thanks. I've come to this conclusion by research and this site. Frustrating you spend all this money and multiple vet visits and they don't even know what this is.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
My kitty still isn't feeling well. She pooping now but still not wanting to move around much. The limp is gone from the front but I've noticed she is trying to stretch her back alot. I did some research and when she was a kitten she had her booster vaccine for calicivirus (combo with two others) and 15 days later we took her to vet for a limp. Almost exact symptoms as this time except it was a back leg. We assumed she jumped wrong. Now 17 days ago she got her booster again and the limping started. Seems pretty fishy to me. If this is calicivirus how long does it last? I asked my vet tech about it and she didn't even know what it was. She said she would ask the vet but they never did. I'm not happy with them and the follow up is terrible. I'm not taking her back there. I'm hoping she will gradually get better. If she gets worse we are going to a different vet. I'm in the process of trying to get copies of her records. I wouldn't take her to a vet now unless she gets worse as it's so stressful for her. She seems pretty chipper in the mornings but by afternoon then she's sleepy and not wanting to move much again. Appetite is okay but she isn't drinking much. I try to get her to eat wet food but she likes her dry better. Also can this limping calici happen in older cats? She's 18 months. Thanks!
Does she still jump onto high things (table, cat tree, bed, whatever) normally? When you say limp, is it just one back leg or both? Does it look like she tries to avoid putting weight on it or like the leg itself isn’t working right when she walks?

Has she lost any weight? Did they do bloodwork? Sorry for the interrogation, just curious to know! It doesn’t seem likely that it’s related to a vaccine she got more than two weeks earlier.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does she still jump onto high things (table, cat tree, bed, whatever) normally? When you say limp, is it just one back leg or both? Does it look like she tries to avoid putting weight on it or like the leg itself isn’t working right when she walks?

Has she lost any weight? Did they do bloodwork? Sorry for the interrogation, just curious to know! It doesn’t seem likely that it’s related to a vaccine she got more than two weeks earlier.
It started out as a noticable limp in the front leg. Now that has gone away and she just has a different gait, wants to stretch out her back alot and just really does not want to be active. I've brought her to the vet three times. They did x-rays of front and hind legs and spine with no orthopedic injuries. Her labs were normal except a value showing inflammation somewhere, no UTI, just some rbcs which they said could be street related. It's terrible because she gets so stressed going to the vet so I don't want to bring her back if I don't have to. My current vet is not helpful at all, I've called.to tell them she's still.not right and it's like they have written her off. I just found it very weird that she had this same vaccine as a kitten and 15 days later she started limping and a lot of the same symptoms. Now she got her booster in June and she starts limping 17 days later. I checked and she got the modified live virus. I may be grasping at straws.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The vaccine she got is to prevent calicivirus, but just as some people get the flu from a flu shot, a cat can get the virus from a vaccine. Ask your vet for an anti-inflammatory for her like Onsior or prednisone. It will help her! I also would see that she does not get this vaccine anymore.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vaccine she got is to prevent calicivirus, but just as some people get the flu from a flu shot, a cat can get the virus from a vaccine. Ask your vet for an anti-inflammatory for her like Onsior or prednisone. It will help her! I also would see that she does not get this vaccine anymore.
I'm in the process of getting her records sent to a different vet for second opinion. The vet is out until Wednesday then will have to review her records and go from there. Might not actually be able to get her in to be seen until next week. I'll just have to.keep doing what I'm doing and try to keep her hydrated. I definitely won't let her get the live virus on the off chance this is what has caused this whole episode. At this point I would just be happy to know that's the problem at least we would know!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Find a practice with more than one vet. That way if one vet is out another can help. :)

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat also limped on his back legs when he was constipated almost two years ago, today he started doing the limp on xmas evening....I just assume hes constipated again and gave him 2ml of lactolose...

He would sort of stumble on his hind legs, 10 min later back to normal....I thought my cat was the only one until I read your thread...My old thread wont even come up in my search from early 2019...

I gave my aunt my left over lactolose and I had to drive hella far to get it tonight, what a end to a xmas day

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sw
My cat also limped on his back legs when he was constipated almost two years ago, today he started doing the limp on xmas evening....I just assume hes constipated again and gave him 2ml of lactolose...

He would sort of stumble on his hind legs, 10 min later back to normal....I thought my cat was the only one until I read your thread...My old thread wont even come up in my search from early 2019...

I gave my aunt my left over lactolose and I had to drive hella far to get it tonight, what a end to a xmas day
I hope your kitty feels better. My cats issues are gone now. I'm convinced the vaccines caused everything which in turn caused the constipation. Since putting her on the royal canon fiber response she hasn't had any issues with constipation. She now poops twice a day and pretty big amounts. It's terrible when our fur babies don't feel good. I sympathize with you, and especially happening at Christmas!!

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are also on royal fiber response and gastro food

And since you me tioned vaccines my white persian developed hyperesthesia after advantage flea meds