Constipation sick kitty

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Long story but basically my 18 month old.cat was limping and not moving around so we took.her to the vet. They did x-rays on front legs no fractures. They gave her buprinorphine for pain and was told to give it a few days. Also she had to sedated to go.to vet because she gets so.worked up. She only got one full dose and two half doses of the pain meds. I called the vet telling them I was concerned about dehydration and little appetite and lethargy. They just kept saying to give it time, try Tuna water etc they also prescribed antibiotics in case she had infection. I ended up bringing her to er vet that night because she was so out of it and shivering. They had to sedate her again to do exam. They did x-rays of hind.legs and spine which were all normal. Also were going to.do.enema if needed. She ended up having a large poop while sedated bit the vet said that the x-ray of the back end showed still.large amount of stool in her colon. Also got subcutaneous fluids, labs. Was told to stop buprinorphine and antibiotics. The sedation took forever to wear off and she was so out of it. I called vet the next day and explained how frustrated I was that I felt they were blowing me off and not giving my concerns enough attention. The office manager called me and stated they had been so understaffed and busy because of covid.
They gave me lactulose to give her and said if she didn't poop in 24 hours would have to come in for enema. Well she got two doses and nothing. So she was brought in and sedated again this time with gas. They did an enema and got a large portion of stool. The vet also did.urine tests and feline leukemia test which were negative. The vet said there was still.stool.in upper portion of intestines but she didn't want to be any more aggressive because it could cause vomiting. They.gave me high fiber wet food and said to.push food and fluids. They said they would call me on Saturday to see how she is doing and set up a plan for weekend. She was also on mitazipine for appetite. She would not eat the new food at all. I tried.mixing with old food too. She was eating her old wet food.but not.much. Her dry food seems to be the only thing she is interested in so I have been mixing with water and hand feeding to get her interested. I even boiled as chicken and she ate a little but not.much. The vet tech called and I spoke with her. I asked.about speaking with vet about whether to give lactulose or.miralax. I'm so.worried she will.get stopped.up.and not go. She did have one pudding.like stool saturday.morning but it was small and the tech thought that could be left overs from enema. She stated I could.try lactulose or miralax but that she would talk to vet and call me back with a plan for the weekend. I didn't want to give her something that would upset her more And give her diarrhea. I never got a call back from them. Nice right!? My.baby is just not herself and you can tell she is sore in her back, she's hunched up. I ended up giving her lactulose.last evening.with no results so I gave another dose this.morning. She did have one small pebble of hard poop fall.out her butt when walking. I'm so.worried because the limp is pretty much gone but I don't know.if this.hunching is from constipation or.something else going.on. We still don't know what caused the limp and I'm assuming the constpation happened because nof pain med, inactivity, dehydration?? Would only one full.dose and two half doses of buprinorphine cause this.much problems? Also how.long does lactulose usually take to.work? Don't know if I should try miralax too and how much? Just want to get things moving again. Definitely getting a new vet after all this is better. We've spent 2,000.00 and she is still feeling like crud. Any suggestions? Thanks
Update: I called the ER vet again and asked about adding miralax. So now she got a second dose of lactulose this morning and a dose of miralax mixed in with water syringed. They said to I can give 1/4 tsp twice daily along with lactulose. I pray things will start moving. I don't want to have to take her back again. She gets so stressed and angry and I'm stressed to. Any other experiences with this are appreciated. Shes probably eating 1/4 to 1/2 what she normally does and will only eat her dry food. I've been offering her wet and boiled chicken but has no interest so I've been adding water to her dry. We vet says that's better than not eating at all.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Buprenorphine is really strong and can make some cats sick. It can definitely cause constipation because it is an opioid. It is a good pain reliever but only when absolutely necessary, such as after surgery, and then only for 3 days. When it wears off it could cause the shivering you mentioned.

The lethargy possibly suggests a virus. Since your cat was limping she could have a case of calicivirus. There is no cure, but an anti-inflammatory, such as Onsior or even prednisone, can help, along with staying hydrated. Onsior helped one of my cats through it. I was also able to alternately syringe Gerber turkey baby food into her, and unflavored Pedialyte that I added honey to. Calicivirus usually passes in 2-4 weeks. My cat fully recovered.

In the meantime, add drops of olive oil to her wet food. It usually softens poop and keeps things moving. You can also offer her a dish of cream to drink. Cats love cream and the lactose in it may help to soften her stool as well. However, keep in mind that eating less produces less stool as well, so she may not go everyday right now. Also, I suspect she was hunched because she is sore from getting prodded internally.

Give her a few days and see if she feels better before seeing the vet again.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buprenorphine is really strong and can make some cats sick. It can definitely cause constipation because it is an opioid. It is a good pain reliever but only when absolutely necessary, such as after surgery, and then only for 3 days. When it wears off it could cause the shivering you mentioned.

The lethargy possibly suggests a virus. Since your cat was limping she could have a case of calicivirus. There is no cure, but an anti-inflammatory, such as Onsior or even prednisone, can help, along with staying hydrated. Onsior helped one of my cats through it. I was also able to alternately syringe Gerber turkey baby food into her, and unflavored Pedialyte that I added honey to. Calicivirus usually passes in 2-4 weeks. My cat fully recovered.

In the meantime, add drops of olive oil to her wet food. It usually softens poop and keeps things moving. You can also offer her a dish of cream to drink. Cats love cream and the lactose in it may help to soften her stool as well. However, keep in mind that eating less produces less stool as well, so she may not go everyday right now. Also, I suspect she was hunched because she is sore from getting prodded internally.

Give her a few days and see if she feels better before seeing the vet again.
I was wondering about viruses. She had her PCRC booster on 6/9 I wonder if that could have anything to do with the limping? When I talk to vet I will ask about that. She never had any respiratory symptoms at all just limping, no appetite and lethargy. I regret giving her the buprinorphine but the vet thought she might have strain and wanted to treat her pain but now I have a while new set of problems with the constipation. She still hasn't gone even with the lactulose last evening and this morning and miralax this morning. She's been scooting on her butt a little so she's obviously sore back there.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was wondering about viruses. She had her PCRC booster on 6/9 I wonder if that could have anything to do with the limping? When I talk to vet I will ask about that. She never had any respiratory symptoms at all just limping, no appetite and lethargy. I regret giving her the buprinorphine but the vet thought she might have strain and wanted to treat her pain but now I have a while new set of problems with the constipation. She still hasn't gone even with the lactulose last evening and this morning and miralax this morning. She's been scooting on her butt a little so she's obviously sore back there.
Has the limping issue gotten better?

Don’t feel bad about giving her the bupe - cats are good at hiding pain and can often be in more discomfort than they let on when they’re sick or hurt, and we all want our cats to feel more comfortable if they can.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has the limping issue gotten better?

Don’t feel bad about giving her the bupe - cats are good at hiding pain and can often be in more discomfort than they let on when they’re sick or hurt, and we all want our cats to feel more comfortable if they can.
Yes the limping is better. She still appears stiff as she doesn't fully stretch like she normally does and is somewhat hunched up in back but I also wondering if the constpation is part of that. I knew buprinorphine was constipating but she only got 1 full dose and two half doses.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She ma also be having abdominal discomfort from the Lactulose. Gas and cramping can be side effects :sigh: I would venture to say that's why she is laying the way she is, hunched up. Poor baby. But keeping her well hydrated will help, along with the suggestions from above. Also, have you tried crushing up some of her favorite kibble and sprinking it on top of the wet food? That might entice her to eat some of it.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask your vet for some cans of Science Diet a/d. That usually helps kitties who aren't eating. She also may not be eating if she's had fluids recently because the fluids can make a cat feel "full". Also, if she's constipated, she won't eat because she might have an upset tummy (think indigestion in a human if you've not had a poop). Add about 1/4 to 1/2 of a teaspoon of plain canned pumpkin or squash baby food to wet food to help keep things moving. Try offering plain meat baby food to see if she'll eat that.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She ma also be having abdominal discomfort from the Lactulose. Gas and cramping can be side effects :sigh: I would venture to say that's why she is laying the way she is, hunched up. Poor baby. But keeping her well hydrated will help, along with the suggestions from above. Also, have you tried crushing up some of her favorite kibble and sprinking it on top of the wet food? That might entice her to eat some of it.
Crushing up the kibble on the wet food is a good idea. I will try that!

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet for some cans of Science Diet a/d. That usually helps kitties who aren't eating. She also may not be eating if she's had fluids recently because the fluids can make a cat feel "full". Also, if she's constipated, she won't eat because she might have an upset tummy (think indigestion in a human if you've not had a poop). Add about 1/4 to 1/2 of a teaspoon of plain canned pumpkin or squash baby food to wet food to help keep things moving. Try offering plain meat baby food to see if she'll eat that.
I tried the pumpkin a few days ago she wouldn't touch it. She seems to be eating a little better today. Just hope things will.move along, having to do another enema Would be terrible! The suggestions here have been great and give me a little comfort. I've been stressed as well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat had no respiratory symptoms either, just limping, lethargy, and wouldn’t eat. Buprenorphine is really strong. It doesn’t take much to cause constipation. Ask the vet for Onsior. It’s an anti-inflammatory that works well.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had no respiratory symptoms either, just limping, lethargy, and wouldn’t eat. Buprenorphine is really strong. It doesn’t take much to cause constipation. Ask the vet for Onsior. It’s an anti-inflammatory that works well.
Thanks for all the recommendations. I gave lactulose at 5:30 and she finally pooped an hour later. I've never been so happy to see poop in my life! I'm assuming I should stop the laxatives now so I don't give her diarrhea? I'll ask the vet tomorrow about giving miralax as a maintenance?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How is she today? I was offline yesterday, so am coming in late. If she has pooped again, stop the laxatives. If not, continue them. And since it seems she enjoys belly rubs, a gentle, clockwise (that's the way the guts wind in the body) motion might help with moving things along, and relieving gas.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is she today? I was offline yesterday, so am coming in late. If she has pooped again, stop the laxatives. If not, continue them. And since it seems she enjoys belly rubs, a gentle, clockwise (that's the way the guts wind in the body) motion might help with moving things along, and relieving gas.
She pooped four times total starting last evening. They have all been cowpie like except for one formed turd the first time she went also with a cowpie. I haven't given her any laxatives since last evening (lactulose at 5:30pm). Her last poop was at 1:30 this afternoon (cowpie). Now I'm worried about dehydration. She hasn't peep much today. Three times since midnight the last time at 1:30 this afternoon. I've been trying to add water to her food. Her appetite is better today, still not normal but better. I guess I don't know how much a cat should be peeing. If it's times per day or certain number of times per hour. I might be overthinking this but just don't want to go backwards and have to go to vet again. She's been so stressed since she was at the vet three times last week and sedated all three times.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would hold off on the laxative for now and see if her body recovers normally. Diarrhea is common after an enema and her poops should firm up on their own. If you're concerned about dehydration, you can do the pinch test. Pull up the fur on the scruff on her neck like a tent. If it snaps back, she's good. If it stays up or goes down slowly, then she could be dehydrated. I add water to wet food to make it like a slurry and get water into my kitties.

Did you try adding pumpkin to wet food and mixing in? It's the only way my cats will eat it and they will only eat the Walmart brand, not organic.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would hold off on the laxative for now and see if her body recovers normally. Diarrhea is common after an enema and her poops should firm up on their own. If you're concerned about dehydration, you can do the pinch test. Pull up the fur on the scruff on her neck like a tent. If it snaps back, she's good. If it stays up or goes down slowly, then she could be dehydrated. I add water to wet food to make it like a slurry and get water into my kitties.

Did you try adding pumpkin to wet food and mixing in? It's the only way my cats will eat it and they will only eat the Walmart brand, not organic.
Yes I tried the pumpkin and she would not eat it. Ive been doing the slurry with her food trying to get as much fluid into her as possible. I tried the skin on her back and it seemed to go back pretty quickly. Just concerned because of the not peeing as much. I'm new to all this. It's my first indoor cat and shes only been with us for a little over a year. And this past week has been hard on both of us !! Plus my vet hasn't been the best communicating . Once she is through this I'm going to find a new vet who I trust. It helps to get reassurance from people more experienced.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty generally pees a BIG clump 2-3 times a day. But every cat is a bit different. If her skin isn't "tenting," then she is probably not badly dehydrated, but do try to push the fluids. If her water bowl is located next to her food bowl, move it. Cats' instincts tell them that water near food = possible contaminated water. They don't get that the bowls prevent that. I more than doubled Hekitty's water intake simply by moving the bowl several feet away from her food dish.

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hekitty generally pees a BIG clump 2-3 times a day. But every cat is a bit different. If her skin isn't "tenting," then she is probably not badly dehydrated, but do try to push the fluids. If her water bowl is located next to her food bowl, move it. Cats' instincts tell them that water near food = possible contaminated water. They don't get that the bowls prevent that. I more than doubled Hekitty's water intake simply by moving the bowl several feet away from her food dish.
I did not know that. She has a water fountain. I'll try moving the food dish across the room. Thanks