Constipation Issues

spazzie933

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

@MommyofThree708

YES,

You need to mix in it water before  adding it to food!!!!  That is most important.. something to do with how it reacts with water. If you just sprinkle and then pour water on, it will not work.....

You need to take a spoon and mix Miralax into water before mixing it to the food in the food dish...
I hope that my regimen of mixing it with the "chicken with broth" baby food is right  I mix it and let it sit while he eats his regular meal and then he licks it all off the spoon. I wonder if I prepped the daily doses in the baby food and kept it in the fridge if that would work too. The baby food is obviously mostly broth and he loves it. It's always a work in progress for sure !!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommyofthree708

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anybody used probiotics for their kitty with constipation? Any success with using them?

Last edited:

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 4 indoor cats (one indoor/outdoor X 100 times a day!) and I give them a mix of dry food, which is always available, and wet food, either Friskies or canned tuna, and I haven't had any problems with the cats and constipation. On thing I have noticed is that when I give my cats excessive treats (Temptations), it tends to loosen them up a little. Not diarrhea loose, but well hydrated. There is a lot of fiber in these and it seems to do the job in keeping my kitties regular. They don't have too many calories in them (less than 2 calories per treat) and they really seem to keep things moving. I don't know if this will work out for you, but I thought I would throw the idea out there...the kitties seem to enjoy the experiment!

Jim 

courtneyb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I too have a tuxedo kitty who got backed up from stress when I got him. Poor guy had to have 3 enemas at the emergency vet (and a catheter, also stress.)

I asked the vet about Miralax, and he said to give 1/4 tsp. I found that made his stool too soft. I now give him 1/8 tsp a day mixed in a few tsp of water added to his wet food. I find that gives him a bowel movement daily without it being too soft. My cat is 13 lbs, and he eats mostly wet with about 1/3 c. of grain-free dry a day for snacking. I also give him a packet of Forti Flora daily (started more to make his food more palatable.)

Hope you find a routine to help your kitty.

spazzie933

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anybody used probiotics for their kitty with constipation? Any success with using them?
I've been wondering about that also but would it be the human ones? I have to take Spazzie to the vets tomorrow and I'll ask and report back.

I think part of the problem with this issue is all the contradictory info that our vets give us. Mine has said no fiber as it bulks up the stool and makes it hard for him to pass so go with a low residue which contains less fiber. That makes sense to me so I check all the ingredient lists for a minimal %. No dry he advised also but I have been giving him a couple of tiny kitten kibbles (dry food) to sub for the treats he used to get. He likes those !

I think every suggestion is dependent upon the degree of constipation too. Spaz is pre-megacolon, his colon is not doing it's job as well as it should hence the enemas every 6-8 weeks.  Miralax and Restoralax (same product) are stool softeners and not laxatives which is good also. Plus they do not work on stool that has been in the colon for a few days so once he has his enema and cleared right out we start with a clean slate but eventually he gets backed up again. I brush him twice daily also, he's a long haired part Main Coon so hoping that helps.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I think part of the problem with this issue is all the contradictory info that our vets give us. Mine has said no fiber as it bulks up the stool and makes it hard for him to pass
Yes.  Psyllium is a bulk-forming laxative.  That's how it is supposed to work.

However, even though it adds more bulk, the stool is softer and easier to pass.

I don't think vet's info is contradictory.  I think that too many people seek pat answers to complex questions.

I agree with the vet.  Too much bulk can be bad but so can too little.  You have to use just the right amount.

For a cat, that would be a fraction of a teaspoon.  You should also adjust the amount to suit your cat and its needs.

We were just talking about using Miralax and how the dosage needs to be adjusted for every cat.  What makes us believe that we wouldn't have to do the same thing when we use psyllium or anything else for that matter?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

I hope that my regimen of mixing it with the "chicken with broth" baby food is right  I mix it and let it sit while he eats his regular meal and then he licks it all off the spoon. I wonder if I prepped the daily doses in the baby food and kept it in the fridge if that would work too. The baby food is obviously mostly broth and he loves it. It's always a work in progress for sure !!
If you look at the instructions, on the Miralax label, it states: to mix with water!!! not to mix it with any food!! 

The extra water is needed to dissolve the powder. I take it myself. I once tried it when it was not well mixed...like swallowing gravel!! It need the water!!!!  I gagged on it!

You can add water mixed with miralax INTO the baby food.....

By not mixing it with water, then you cat is NOT getting the benefit of it.

I also give my guy a probiotic. I use Proviable, which I get from Chewy. I discover that since my guy is allergic to chicken, that Forti-Flora was out. It contains "animal digest", and no one knows exactly what that is...

Last edited:

mommyofthree708

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor baby is having trouble again. I heard him crying again while in the litteR. So sad. :(

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is his stool hard to pass or loose again?

Poor kitty :(

LotsOfFur

Top Cat
Purraise
You mentioned that you were going to try some other canned foods for him; have you started that yet?

mommyofthree708

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You mentioned that you were going to try some other canned foods for him; have you started that yet?
Yes, I have started it but he's only eating a little of it. Haven't found one he loves yet.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

If you look at the instructions, on the Miralax label, it states: to mix with water!!! not to mix it with any food!! 

The extra water is needed to dissolve the powder. I take it myself. I once tried it when it was not well mixed...like swallowing gravel!! It need the water!!!!  I gagged on it!

You can add water mixed with miralax INTO the baby food.....

By not mixing it with water, then you cat is NOT getting the benefit of it.

I also give my guy a probiotic. I use Proviable, which I get from Chewy. I discover that since my guy is allergic to chicken, that Forti-Flora was out. It contains "animal digest", and no one knows exactly what that is...
yes I mix my cats miralax into a small medicine bottle cap=like cough medicine white plastic cap=I use HOT water-the hotter the better- pour the miralax into the cap and water-stir-you will watch them dissolve-if I don't do it this way my cat will NOT eat the food-she smells the miralax-and I also add a can of water to her fancy feast pate liver flavor-she likes this one and the turkey/giblets pate the best-

We have tried the more expensive ones but she hates chunks/pieces-I end up mashing it up with a fork but she does like the chicken ones from cats in the kitchen and weruvera or however its spelled=but I need a processor to chop it up.

She prefers it to be like pudding consistency.

I didn't read back all the comments since my earlier comment-just wanted to add my 2 cents-hoping this helps!

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I use an old Jell-O pudding cup and a 1/8 tsp measuring spoon to mix the Miralax in, I use about a 1/2 of water...

LotsOfFur

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have started it but he's only eating a little of it. Haven't found one he loves yet.
The reason I asked that is because I noticed my kitty seemed to have had a harder time when he ate foods that were "really good" all meat that I had to add a little pumpkin (along with his daily Miralax) because they produce less waste and the pumpkin helped add a little bulk and move it on through.

How is kitty today?

Last edited:

mommyofthree708

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The reason I asked that is because I noticed my kitty seemed to have had a harder time when he ate foods that were "really good" all meat that I had to add a little pumpkin (along with his daily Miralax) because they produce less waste and the pumpkin helped add a little bulk and move it on through.

How is kitty today?
I took him back to the vet just to double check he's okay cause he was meowing in the litter last night. Took him in and the vet said he was good. Took an X-ray and it showed he has a little poop at the end of his colon ready for the move on out but she said it looked soft and he shouldn't have s problem moving it himself. He did show a little gas in his colon which she said could be why he was crying a little cause he was gasy. She said to keep giving him the Miralax dose once a day but otherwise he looked good. And to keep giving lots of water with his food.

Poor guy was so upset getting him into his carrier that he peed on me. :( Poor guy is now hiding from but that's understandable. He did poop which was soft but the vet said it would be soft and mushey when it comes out which is why she suggested a lower dose of Miralax. She said dosing is a fine line and it's a juggling act but we'll figure it out.

Thank you all so much for your help. I greatly appreciate it. :)

LotsOfFur

Top Cat
Purraise
That's a great report from the vet! :clap:

You are doing great with him, it is a juggling act and they are all so different. Sometimes is just the guardians that need a support group :D

Poor guy getting so stressed :(
Wouldn't it be great if the travel and vet visit weren't so stressful on them... :hugs:

mommyofthree708

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a great report from the vet! :clap:

You are doing great with him, it is a juggling act and they are all so different. Sometimes is just the guardians that need a support group :D

Poor guy getting so stressed :(
Wouldn't it be great if the travel and vet visit weren't so stressful on them... :hugs:
I so wish it was easier to transport them. I almost feel bad I stressed him out since he got a good report from the vet. :(

Hoping he comes out to eat tonight since he hasn't had his Miralax yet today.

Yes, the vet said every cat is different which makes it harder and more of a juggling act in trying to get it right.

mommyofthree708

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Checking in- looks like all is progressing well. You are a good cat meowmy!
Thank you! I try hard but man it's stressing me out. Love these little bugs so much and worry constantly. [emoji]128570[/emoji]