Constipation Issue or Something Else?

camif

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

13 year old cat with no preexisting issues started holding her tail close to her body and is pretty lethargic.  The hair around the base of the tail is standing on end, almost like when a cat is surprised at another cat during play or fighting.  Took her to the vet who xrayed, thinking it was initially a spinal issue, and he discovered she had dried stool in her that she had not passed.  They gave her an anal enema and said she passed about 75% of the stool and would be fine.  I have had her isolated with a  smorgesboard of various foods, high in fiber, and she has not had another bowel movement in the last 24 hours since the enema. Her tail is no longer as close to her body, but the hair around the base continues to stand on end.  I don't know what that means when the hair is on end except there must be something agitating her.  I had some bloodwork done and will see the results of that tomorrow, and the vet will call me tomorrow, at which time I can discuss this with him.  Can you think of any additional issues I should raise during our call tomorrow?  Thank you!!

Cami & Tabby Cat Annabell

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry your kitty is having these issues. Can I ask what kind of food you're feeding? Is it only dry food? Dry food is so over processed it has no moisture content whatsoever and kitties need that moisture just like people do. I'd switch her to a grain free, high quality protein all wet diet if you can. That's certainly not going to hurt her, it can only help. But I would make notes of everything you see happening and tell the vet asap. Please tell the vet she still hasn't gone again but I think since she just had an enema, it might take awhile. Is she eating today? You have to make sure she eats! She cannot go long without food as that can cause even worse problems like liver disease. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

camif

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the reply!  Normally, she eats Wellness dry, Wellness canned, and some "treats." She used to be given pumpkin on a daily basis, which may have helped her, but she had stopped eatting it lately.  Over the last 24 hours, I have offered her "cheap" wet food (didn't touch it), "cheap" treats (she ate a good number of those), pumpkin (didn't touch it), salmon (ate a good bit), Wellness dry (didn't touch it), cat milk (drank a little), water (drank a little).

Cami & Tabby Cat Annabell

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't stress enough how much she needs to eat! Do you have a small medicine syringe you can syringe feed her with? She needs to have something! I would cut out the dry food completely, it's not good for them at all. Mix a can of food with a little water in a blender and you can make like a slurpee with it and syringe feed it to her. I'd call the vet asap tomorrow morning, don't wait. Tell him she's not eating on her own.

dianeandbooboo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She really must eat or she will never pass the stool.  Does she drink water?  Have you noticed her drinking more water than usual?  Is there more urine in her litter box than usual?  Constipation is often linked to kidney failure.  Cats that are in kidney failure will very often refuse to eat.  It is critical that she eats and stays hydrated.  I would try very hard to get her to eat her wet food.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

camif

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She just had a bowel movement!  It was loose, but it was pleasing to see she at least passed something.  Thank you so much for the information.  I will keep her hydrated and talk more to the vet tomorrow. We had blood, including kidney values, done back in March, and everything came out ok.  Hopefully, tomorrow's blood test will prove the same.

Cami

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is EXCELLENT news!!! Just a note, dehydration, even a little bit, can cause them to stop eating and feel lethargic. Maybe start by syringing just a small amount of water in her to see if that helps. Not too much as you don't want to over hydrate either. Keep us posted!