Constipation in a cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ann Mock;1918017 said:
Hi,

Considering the expense of all the enemas and allopathic vet. visits + meds. - you might want to look at consulting a homeopathic vet. - especially w/ a chronic condition such as megacolon.
The initial consultations are expensive but in the long tun you spend less money because you are treating the whole kitty rather than each particular issue that pops up! There is a site called the AHVS which can help you find a vet!

Hi Ann - I actually did consider meeting with a homeopathic vet but I simply cannot afford the $250.00 consultation fee. I heard that some vets are using accupuncture to treat megacolon but I would like to see solid empirical evidence proving the efficacy of such treatments.

If anyone had experience with accupuncture, please chime in!!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

Because the cat's system is able to utilize the raw meat, or Premium canned meat a lot better than other cat foods, most likely it won't be producing as much "waste" - and the BM's may not be as frequent, or as much. This is NOT constipation.
Agreed.
7 of mine are on raw to some degree, so I've experienced what you are describing. It's just in Paisley's case, after about 4 straight days of raw (and no pooping), she runs around whimpering and whining looking for a weird (inappropriate) place to poop - because she's uncomfortable. Something is not quite right in her system, but we've learned how to get around it.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Agreed.
7 of mine are on raw to some degree, so I've experienced what you are describing. It's just in Paisley's case, after about 4 straight days of raw (and no pooping), she runs around whimpering and whining looking for a weird (inappropriate) place to poop - because she's uncomfortable. Something is not quite right in her system, but we've learned how to get around it.
Yikes! Four Days!!!, I panicked only after two! Well, I confess, I know that Wellness (dry) and Natural Balance (dry) will help loosen things up a bit - so, Wellness and Natural Balance have become a "treat" food - along with the yard grass.

Hmmm, wonder what others have experienced - glad to hear about yours - helps me not to "worry" so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TickyTat

But guess what? My cat is no longer constipated. Why? Because after following the advice on this forum, I switched her to a high-quality, canned cat food diet only. Quality foods don't have corn or by-products in them, and are preferably grain-free. I currently feed canned Wellness, 1/2 can in morning and 1/2 can at night, and she has not had a problem with constipation since. I don't even have to give her fiber or stool softener anymore! It's such a relief for both of us. Plus, wet cat food means more water intake, which means softer stools NATURALLY. No drugs!

Science Diet is a terrible food IMO. Check the label, it's full of corn and by-products!

After feeding wet only for over a month with absolutely no problems, I am a believer!

(But steer clear of "fishy" flavors... I learned the hard way they can lead to UTI's).

Good luck! I know how you feel!
First, I want to thank everyone for all their helpful advice regarding Buster's constipation. I have good news to report! After reading TickyTat's recommendation, I ran over to the nearest pet store and skeptically picked up four cans of Wellness cat food. I didn't think it would work because I have tried EVERYTHING to no avail. So far, I've fed him two cans and he pooped normally this morning
Naturally, I still use Kristalose, which is a stool softener. However, last week the Kristalose wasn't working. Now it's working the way it should. I never believed that a food product would work but it has. It's very low residue (low in fiber), which is important. Prescription Diet I/D is also low in fiber but Bussy hated the taste.

Hopefully, I can avoid the pricey Cisapride for now. The compund pharmacist called me this morning because he received the prescription and quoted me $65.00 for a month's suppy, which must be administered three times per day. I told him to put a hold on the medication. He said the prescription is good for one year. I'll keep on using the Wellness for now and see what happens. Fortunately, the pet store said I could exchange the cans of Friskies and Fancy Feast for Wellness.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try weaning him from the meds after he's been on the wellness for awhile. It might be that the diet fixed the problem and you don't need them anymore, but I'd definitely give his little tummy time to adjust to the new food first. I'm not sure if that's something you want to try or not, but it's definitely something I'd try if the diet seems to be doing the trick.

Good luck and keep us updated!