Constipation from bone content in raw food

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you think half a cup of rehydrated Stella and Chewy’s or Northwest Naturals freeze dried food per day, split between two cats, would potentially cause constipation, or would that only be an issue if they ate it more regularly? The rest of the time they are mostly eating canned food.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Stella has bone. Nw naturals does not. I would like to know the answer to your question since I have started giving it to my cats with warm water mixed in. Just every night not all day so 5 morsals per cat. I plan on crushing the pieces before adding water

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that NWN has bone, but less than S&C. I will probably still get some S&C but only feed it occasionally, as it is cheaper than the NWN.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
S&c has ground bound. Nw does not. I have both bags. Price is not much different. S&c 18oz bag $40. Nw 3 11 oz bags $70

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The NWN website lists ground bone for the rabbit, duck, and whitefish formulas. The chicken and turkey list necks which I believe means they have bone in them. I also read another post where someone said they had confirmed the bone content with NWN and that it was lower than S&C.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you think half a cup of rehydrated Stella and Chewy’s or Northwest Naturals freeze dried food per day, split between two cats, would potentially cause constipation, or would that only be an issue if they ate it more regularly? The rest of the time they are mostly eating canned food.
I think it depends on the cat. Some are more prone to constipation than others. Mine like both S&C and NWN, and I give them a bit occasionally. The two older cats (16 years old and sisters) do get constipated pretty easily so I put just a bit of Miralax in their food, even with their primary diet of homemade with eggshell calcium. The six-year-old doesn’t have a problem so I don’t add it to hers. If you’re not giving a lot and they’re eating canned as well, you might not have any problems. I do “stalk” mine: I follow them to the litter box and watch to see if they’re straining. :)