Constipation before and after his enema..

spazzie933

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 7 year old male cat has been suffering from chronic constipation for almost 3 months. Over the past 3 weeks he has had 3 enemas, 2 in one day and one again 4 days ago. The problem, though it clears his colon, he has not pooped since the last enema. Now 3 days. He is on wet food only mixed with extra water, Laxatone 2x daily and Restoralax 1/4 tsp. with each meal. Nothing is working, he eats well, plays, doesn't make trips to the litter box to try. I am wondering is it possible for his body to become dependent on the enemas and how many can he have? Is there a medication for colon motility that he could take? I tried the Metoclopramide 5mg. pills but anything different in his food, he will not touch it. I have tried oils, pumpkin and he won't eat it. He has had 2 xrays and all are fine. Can anyone give me some advice, I don't feel the vets are taking this too seriously and I am worried about megacolon if this keeps happening. He is my baby and though he shows no discomfort, it must be hurting him to not have pooped for so many days. I appreciate any help and thank you. His name is Spazzie and he is my doofus big boy !

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My first thoughts are that perhaps he is getting TOO much with both the Laxatone and the Restoralax.  My older cat had chronic constipation for years, and at first he was on Laxatone, and when that stopped working, we switched him over to Miralax (which I think is the same as Restoralax...are you in Canada by chance?)  Anyway, the Miralax by itself worked like a charm.  The key is to get the correct dosage.  For our guy, we started with 1/8 teaspoon dissolved in a little water and mixed into some wet food.  When that didn't work too well, we increased it to 1/4 teaspoon.  When that didn't work too well, we increased it to 1/4 teaspoon in the morning, and another 1/4 in the evening.  THAT was the ticket
.  From then on out he was as regular as the sun coming up every morning
.  We kept him on that schedule for over three years (until he passed away from his kidney disease
)

With your guy, I, too, would be worried about megacolon if he keep this up.  I also am concerned that you Vet isn't too concerned.  That seems odd.  Or are you saying he's just not too worried that it's been 3 days since the enema and he hasn't pooped.  It's possible if he was completely emptied out that it might take that long for his stool to form and reach the end of his colon

Most cats will stop eating when they get too constipated, so if your guy is still eating and playing fine, then he must feel okay.  As far as motility drugs, yes, there are some.  Cats with megacolon usually get them to help move things along.  I would not recommend them, though, unless he is truly diagnosed with it, because I would think once they are used, his body would become dependent on them to do the work.  I don't know for sure, but would think so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spazzie933

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advice, so appreciated ! I am trying so hard to help him and am overwhelmed, worried and frustrated. Triple whammy ! He is eating well, only wet food and I mix in Restoralax, 1/4 tsp. now x 2 daily. Yes, I am in Canada so same as Miralax ! So far, no luck but possibly I haven't given it enough time?

I will forget about the Laxatone for a few days and see if the Restoralax works on its own. If he hasn't had a poop by Thurs., I will need to take him in again.

Is there a way I can manually feel if he is impacted again? I massage his belly, no flinching or discomfort, he actually falls asleep but I don't really know what to feel for. He is a big furry boy so it's difficult !

Thank you again for your help !

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thank you for your advice, so appreciated ! I am trying so hard to help him and am overwhelmed, worried and frustrated. Triple whammy ! He is eating well, only wet food and I mix in Restoralax, 1/4 tsp. now x 2 daily. Yes, I am in Canada so same as Miralax ! So far, no luck but possibly I haven't given it enough time?

I will forget about the Laxatone for a few days and see if the Restoralax works on its own. If he hasn't had a poop by Thurs., I will need to take him in again.

Is there a way I can manually feel if he is impacted again? I massage his belly, no flinching or discomfort, he actually falls asleep but I don't really know what to feel for. He is a big furry boy so it's difficult !

Thank you again for your help !
Next time you take him in (for any reason), have the Vet show you  how to check for impaction.  We had a chart once showing just where to feel, but I think it would be better if someone actually showed you exactly where to put your hands and how hard to push, etc.  I used to do that with my boy too, would massage his belly, kind of like I do to myself when I get into that condition

And, so sorry, I actually miss-spoke earlier about the Laxatone.  I was thinking about Lactulose rather than Laxatone.  Two completely different things.  I never used Laxatone
, and can't see how it could possible hurt in conjunction with the Miralax.

Does your baby have long hair or does he overgroom?  Do you comb him daily to try to cut down on the amount of fur ingested?  That might help too. 

spazzie933

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will probably be taking him in on Thurs. just to see what's happening, so far nothing ! He is part Norwegian Forest cat so a long hair who thankfully loves to be brushed. He is a good groomer but not an obsessive one !

When I massage his belly he usually falls asleep, such a big doofus sweetie

Thank you again for your help, great feeling to have support out there. It can be a lonely road trying to navigate this issue !

spazzie933

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well Spazzie has finally pooped, actually twice now in 5 days but today it was black and soft and sticky like tar. Could I be giving him too much Restoralax (Miralax)? He is eating well and otherwise normal. Any advice please?

mspurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes black tarry stools are an indicator of underlying health condition or blood in the stool.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's good that he is having bowel movements, but black tarry stools IS indicative that he is bleeding somewhere along the way, higher up than his lower intestines.  Could even be in his mouth.  How do his gums look?  Are they still nice and pink?  Is he still eating and playing like normal?  Anemia is always something you want to avoid, and if he's bleeding somewhere, it's a possibility.  Don't want to scare you, but want you to be aware. 

The bleeding could be caused by so many different things:  ulcers, foreign objects ingested, infections, IBD, trauma, kidney disease, the list goes on and on.  Definitely contact your Vet and tell him what's happening.  BTW, the Restoralax should not be causing this.

spazzie933

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

It's good that he is having bowel movements, but black tarry stools IS indicative that he is bleeding somewhere along the way, higher up than his lower intestines.  Could even be in his mouth.  How do his gums look?  Are they still nice and pink?  Is he still eating and playing like normal?  Anemia is always something you want to avoid, and if he's bleeding somewhere, it's a possibility.  Don't want to scare you, but want you to be aware. 

The bleeding could be caused by so many different things:  ulcers, foreign objects ingested, infections, IBD, trauma, kidney disease, the list goes on and on.  Definitely contact your Vet and tell him what's happening.  BTW, the Restoralax should not be causing this.
Thank you again ! I left a message with the vet last night, 6PM and still waiting. I did explain the problem in the message. He is eating well, playing, everything normal that way. His gums are nice and pink. I thought possibly since he has only pooped twice in over a week, since his last enema, that possibly matter sitting in his colon was turning this color from the Restoralax and Laxatone I have been giving him. I stopped it for now anyway. I am going to call the vet again now and see what he advises me to do.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi sorry I don't know your name & am sorry your little one is going through this.i belong to the feline MC group and we deal with chronic constipation as well and any other pooing issues .pls come & join us.We have a wealth of knowledge of current up to date meds as well as our little things we have learned over the years to help kitties keep it moving.Hugs.hope to see you there.C The group is if you don't already belong is

[email protected]  Hugs..typos expected.I agree with Mrs.green Jeans.Restorolax will not cause this.All depends on if the stool inside is black.Some foods will cause a blk stool but when opened inside it is brown.All black is certainly of a concern.There could have been a problem with the enema causing a little blood but certainly is of concern if it is black right through.many cats on my group The MC group after an enema have literally waited up to one week for their next BM.Some alot sooner.Depends on like Mrs.GJ said how much they got out of your babe.But yes doing an enema they have to be very careful not to damage the colon wall or blood will form.Could your kitt have ingested something?You know how kitts are?? As for hairball remedy which is basically flavored vaseline (Not all Types) but most is good to help move the hair down the small intestine which is about 2 1/2 times the length of the body of your kitty.I used to give it about once a week.but if I observed stools from my boy that were full of hair I'd give it like three days in a row then go back to 1" strip of gel weekly.He was not a longhair.HTH C.

Last edited:

spazzie933

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you and I will definitely check out the site you shared. I took him to the vets yesterday with a sample of his "black' BM and his vet old me it was nothing to worry about but it was full of hair, matted and twisted which could be blocking his colon. I brush and comb him daily but he is a long hair so I will be more diligent and groom him more often.

I am wondering if I should keep giving him the Restoralax and Laxatone?  He eats and plays normally and his gums are pink, no signs of discomfort anywhere.

Thank you again for your advice and support !

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Your kitty is a beauty by the way!!!Restoralax or miralax same thing too much will give a kitty diarrhea.Did Your vet actually test the stool sample for occult blood.Looking at it unfortunately is not enough.But yes hair can literally cause havoc in the gut.I would make sure the stool or your babe's next one is actually checked for blood.Miralax or laxatone does not cause blood.I would be more concerned with a GI bleed like other members have stated.If it was tested and came back negative then I would be concerned with what you are feeding your kitty.Any new treats etc.When I noticed hair in my late Maxwell's Stool(I dissected every one as he had mega colon) when I saw alot of hair I gave him hairball treatment like for three days in a row.Then went back to a 1" strip weekly.Good that he's eating & playing & such.excellent.But my Boy never had tarry stools.Alot of kitties with IBD will have that as being stated by another member.I can give you a feline IBD group as well for you to ask them ok?But the stool sample has to actually be tested for occult blood under a microscope or however they do it..Some times kitties ingest things.Dental floss ,man all kinds of things that won't move through the system well and causes inflammation in the gut wall.To have blood would be severe inflammation to make something bleed.Even bones have been seen in small intestines even after going through the stomach which is literally like a washing machine with acids to break things down.Does your kitty get any chicken with bones or anything?What you are giving your kitt will not cause what you are having.If it were me I would be next asking for an xray to see if they can see something in the small intestine.Unless you have changed food recently and this is causing it but highly unlikely.Always best to be sure.You're kitty can be fine on the outside but bowel movements tell us things as well as urine output.Key factors to their health.Let me know.I'm thinking about you.The ibd group is  [email protected] Hugs C.If this has occurred after the enema then I would be concerned that something happened in there.Which believe it or not it can.Typos I'm sure...

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi again.Mega Colon is only diagnosed via xray.If an xray is done side view & they also have it with the kitty on it's back but side view is how they diagnose MC.I myself would continue your miralax  & hairball remedy watching for a change in poo color.If you notice him doing one take it apart while still fresh & observe.Water additional water into your cat's diet will help miralax get things moving.If he is having canned meat put extra water in the meat to make it like oatmeal.Not too much that he won't eat it.But hydration is key for any BM's.Any safe way you can introduce more water just like people and making him play etc (exercise) is huge.When kitties have an actual motility problem like some kitties with MC.they are on miralax or lactulose with cisapride.Cisapride is much better than metoclopromide.Liquid form is best that is compounded by a compounding pharmacy.Give 30 minutes prior to feeding syringed into the mouth..This would be a script from your vet and only go by your vet's suggestions or recommendations.Only kitties that actually have problems with motility in their colon are on cisapride.If there is no MC & just a whole lot of hair that has to get moving water,miralax,& laxatone but don't overdo it on the laxatone as it is vaseline and a lge amount can hinder absorption of certain things into the body.A good website from a friend of mine is www.felineconstipation.org HTH Hugs C.But yes hair we want them to vomit it up but unfortunately sometimes it goes the wrong route & can cause havoc.And longterm Constipation can lead to MC.

spazzie933

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for you reply ! And yes, he is a beauty, a big doofus but handsome nonetheless

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Yes it can be hair.If the BM you just found is dry up the miralax.If you are at 1/4  2x a day then up one dosage to say 1/4 morning & 5/16 evening.If you don't have one many members have to go & get a 1/16 tsp as these mere grams can make a difference.If not then increase his nightly dose to 3/8 tsp.Try at that dosage for three full days or 6 doses.pls try to add water to your babie's meat.The syringing is also good.My Boy was on 60mls of fluid every night.So I don't know what size of syringes you are using but are you near 60mls? Probably not.He weighed 8 lbs.Water is key to getting miralax to work.Do not stop the laxatone.I don't know how much you are giving but if it is Gel whatever it says on the tube.Some say 1/2" strip Some say 1" strip.Just continue that everyday.Every time an enema is done you have to realize that although they do their very best to remove the stool damage can occur because there are just so many nerves back there.The whole idea of miralax and you may need cisapride to help move it along is to keep your kitty going and not having enemas.Dry stools are not enough hydration & miralax.Make sure on your bottle of restoralax that it says on  it peg 3350 nothing else.Here in BC I buy just Peg 3350.Because this is a human stool softener they have made different products with peg in it but also flavoring or added electrolytes.Not good for kitties.You just want Peg 3350.Ok? Hugs to your Beauty!!!C.If you go onto that site I gave you www.felineconstipation.org Pat talks about adding Lecithin to the food and I think she has dosing.This I believe would be found at a health food store.Some members on the MC group are having good results with coconut oil 62%MCT 100% organic virgin cold pressed.1/4 tsp twice per day.DO NOT ever syringe any oil into a cat's mouth.It would have to be added to their meat or put in an empty gel cap and pilled.If piling always follow with a 3ml water chaser as an average kitties esophagus is about 7" long.And lots of pills literally get stuck in there.If you can't do that give a treat right away to help it work it's way down.HTH Hugs C. typos Of course

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For Yahoo just google how to join yahoo.I have Windows as well.That has nothing to do with it.C Anyone can join Yahoo

jossch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Spazzie, I have had the same problems with my three year old cat. We had some luck with products from Allergic Pet.com, they have a product called LaxEze which worked for awhile ( 2 years ) but now our cat is on Cisapride. We have also mixed pumpkin, chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut oil and water in her food. We went the Lactulous, Miralax and found another on-line natural product called Laxa-Herb from Natural Pet. You have to find the right balance for your individual pet and also the right vet, something we also found out the hard way. Hope everything turns out okay.

spazzie933

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Happy Sunday everyone !  Just a question please ? I have been adding 1/4sp. of Restoralax x2 daily to Spazzie's wet food and wondering if there are any long term side effects from daily usage. It helps a little, trying to keep his colon moving at least ! I also give him Laxatone 3x weekly. Thank you  

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am unaware of any long term effects of using Restoralax.  I used it twice daily for my older kidney cat for quite some time, with our Vet's blessing, and it was the only thing that kept him regular.   I honestly don't know what we would have done without it.

spazzie933

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you ! He still doesn't go regularly but I figure every 2-3 days is far better than not at all! Maybe that is his norm. I give him 1/4 tsp Restoralax X 2 daily and Laxatone also, approx. 3X weekly.He still eats very well and is his usual doofus self so maybe I need to calm down and just watch from a distance. I have been a hovering Mom