Constipation and dark stool

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For constipation, I’m doing 1/4 tsp miralax daily and 1/ tsp egg yolk powder, 0.5 ml cisapride daily. Her stool is dark outside but brown inside. Is this normal? I’ve read dark stool can be sign of high bilirubin with constipation.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Their stool is usually linked to whatever food they've eaten. But extremely dark, almost black, and tarry is a sign of a health emergency. I'm not familiar with dark stools being a sign of high bilirubin, but you could check with your Vet about it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is dark on the outside but brown on the inside, it would be my guess that is just moisture being drawn out of the stool - which would seem logical that it would happen starting from the outside and going inward. That could be especially true the longer the stool sits in her bowels. The frequency of her bowel movements could play a role in that as well.

It would be my expectation - strictly as a layperson - that if bilirubin is impacting the stool, you should see other signs of liver issues in your cat - perhaps, jaundiced eyes or orange colored urine. I would also think the dark color would be throughout the entire stool too.

I agree about consulting with your vet, and asking specifics about what you suspect as well as what you might do to increase her current treatment for constipation.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it is dark on the outside but brown on the inside, it would be my guess that is just moisture being drawn out of the stool - which would seem logical that it would happen starting from the outside and going inward. That could be especially true the longer the stool sits in her bowels. The frequency of her bowel movements could play a role in that as well.

It would be my expectation - strictly as a layperson - that if bilirubin is impacting the stool, you should see other signs of liver issues in your cat - perhaps, jaundiced eyes or orange colored urine. I would also think the dark color would be throughout the entire stool too.

I agree about consulting with your vet, and asking specifics about what you suspect as well as what you might do to increase her current treatment for constipation.
Thank you, that makes sense since she is constipated. My gal had black tarry stool before where her entire stool was dark.