Constipation after opioids

Georgina887

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

some of you might have seen my other threads regarding my cat’s latest health issues. A week ago she had severe diarrhoea and after spending 3 days at the vet she came home on Wednesday. It is now Saturday and she has not pooped since the diarrhoea last Sunday. I called my vet because I was worried. She said that given the diarrhoea cleaned out her bowels and the opioid pain killer that was given to her reduce mobility of the bowel, it is ok she hasn’t pooped and to give it a few more days.

But I am still worried and it’s giving me so much anxiety. Does anyone have experience with this after opioids? It’s been almost a week since she pooped :/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgina887

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To be specific, she was given buprenorphine and she was given antibiotics too.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have experience with it personally, but not with a feline. Even so, treatment is the same for both cats and humans - Miralax, or polyethylene glycol. I would do as the vet says to give it a few more days, and if there is still no pooping and she's been eating well, you can add 1/8 tsp of Miralax to her food once a day. It may take a day or two for it to work. In any case, my gastroenterologist said it is perfectly harmless. It adds water to the stool and make it easier to pass.

But do wait a couple of days. The vet is right about the diarrhea cleaning out her intestinal tract, and I am clearly not a vet, so check with him or her first.

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had two cats now that both struggled with constipation (one was megacolon, one is just stubborn I think), though I don't know if either was ever induced by opiods. Personally, with my current cat, Simon, when he gets really bound up, we give between 1/8 and 1/4 of a teaspoon of miralax mixed in with his wet food twice a day until he goes, and then adjust as needed to get it to the softness/frequency desired. DreamerRose DreamerRose is right - Miralax works by drawing water from the colon to soften the stool and make it easier to pass. It's not that it necessarily makes them NEED to go, it just makes it less painful for them to do so.

I think if your cat hasn't pooped by Monday, it may be time to call your vet back and ask about getting an enema for your cat (I've known a couple people with the knowledge to do it at home, but it is much safer to have your vet do it; I would advise you to confine your cat to a carrier on the way back home, if you do this. My last megacolon cat didn't quite make it home before the enema took effect and....well, it got messy but was at least confined to her carrier :lol2: ).

Edit: Just read your other posts - Talk with your vet before adding miralax in. I think it'd probably be fine, but with your sweet kitty having a heart condition, it'd be best to verify.

Georgina887

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m in Australia so not sure where/if I can get Miralax. Do you just get this from a pet shop?

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a human medication meant to help with constipation - You mix it in with water (or really any drink). Apparently you can get it on Aussie Amazon. The link is to the bigger bottle which is apparently out of stock right now, but the smaller bottle would work just fine, if the vet okays it.

Georgina887

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you! She seems perfectly happy, not straining, not in pain, not being vocal when using litter box. Urinating fine, eating fine. Maybe it’s just slow after having her bowels cleaned out from so much diarrhoea

Georgina887

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone used olive oil? Does this actually work?

Georgina887

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a human medication meant to help with constipation - You mix it in with water (or really any drink). Apparently you can get it on Aussie Amazon. The link is to the bigger bottle which is apparently out of stock right now, but the smaller bottle would work just fine, if the vet okays it.
turns out it’s an American import and takes 3 weeks to arrive. I will have to try and find a local alternative

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m in Australia so not sure where/if I can get Miralax. Do you just get this from a pet shop?

No. it's a Human OTC laxative sold at pharmacies. Miralax is the US brand name. Other countries just call it PEG, or polyethylene glycol 3350. mani mani might know what brand this is sold under in Australia, if there is such a product available. Or ask the vet. It's a good idea to ask the vet before adding anything else to your cat's medical treatments, even OTC and supplements.

Canned plain pumpkin puree can help with constipation. Pet stores sell pumpkin products but it's cheaper to just go to the grocery store and buy a an of 100% pumpkin puree (not pie filling) and use that. Use what you need and the rest of the can for your own cooking, baking, etc. Or freeze for later use.

you can add 1/8 tsp of Miralax to her food once a day. It may take a day or two for it to work.
Always dissolve the powder into some water before adding it to food. Since Miralax works by drawing water into the colon, if you give dry powder as is, the powder will just absorb all the water from the body into the colon and potentially cause dehydration and make the constipation worse. Dissolving the powder first prevents this. The instructions for people on the label says to dissolve in water before ingesting. The same is applied if the product is used for animals.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The Australian equivalent, or one of them, is Osmalax. But as LTS3 LTS3 says, it's used for humans. I'd be checking with the vet first for both advice on whether it's the way to go, and dosage.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Georgina887 !

About this:
The Australian equivalent, or one of them, is Osmalax. But as LTS3 LTS3 says, it's used for humans. I'd be checking with the vet first for both advice on whether it's the way to go, and dosage.

Yes, it's marketed as a human remedy.........but, it's also used globally - internationally - as a safe and effective stool softener for felines.

Yes, absolutely, speak with your Vet about using it......but....before you do, it will be helpful to have a full and informed understanding of what it is and how it works.

Here's a (also internationally-recognized and) reliable coverage of Miralax which will prep you for that discussion: Miralax.

You'll see in there (see 'Formulations') that the core ingredient of Miralax is "polyethylene glycol 3350".......but that there other formulations available with added electrolytes - you do not want those, so, ensure that what you buy is 'straight' PEG 2250 - perhaps confirm with your pharmacist. (I looked around about "Osmalax", but couldn't find an ingredients statement.)

If your Vet isn't familiar with using it, do share that link. It will also detail the most commonly used dosages for cats.

I would not be using any oil for feline constipation, and I certainly wouldn't be administering any oil directly into a cat - there would certainly be a huge risk of the cat aspirating the oil, and that could have dire consequences.

Hope that helps!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Georgina887 !

About this:

Yes, it's marketed as a human remedy.........but, it's also used globally - internationally - as a safe and effective stool softener for felines.

Yes, absolutely, speak with your Vet about using it......but....before you do, it will be helpful to have a full and informed understanding of what it is and how it works.

Here's a (also internationally-recognized and) reliable coverage of Miralax which will prep you for that discussion: Miralax.

You'll see in there (see 'Formulations') that the core ingredient of Miralax is "polyethylene glycol 3350".......but that there other formulations available with added electrolytes - you do not want those, so, ensure that what you buy is 'straight' PEG 2250 - perhaps confirm with your pharmacist. (I looked around about "Osmalax", but couldn't find an ingredients statement.)

If your Vet isn't familiar with using it, do share that link. It will also detail the most commonly used dosages for cats.

I would not be using any oil for feline constipation, and I certainly wouldn't be administering any oil directly into a cat - there would certainly be a huge risk of the cat aspirating the oil, and that could have dire consequences.

Hope that helps!
The thing is, we don't have Miralax here. The forumulation of what is available is different.
So I rest my case. Please consult your vet. :)

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, merry Christmas, Georgina887 ! So fitting a present, too..........as only cats can give to such as us ! :flail:

Yes, of course, as has been said by every poster, consult the Vet !

Oh.......best that you.....lay that present aside, though:crackup:

Last edited by a moderator:

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
white shadow white shadow - Lactulose is definitely one of those meds that works if you need it, but is extraordinarily sticky (The last batch my megacolon cat receive also smelled like coconut which was just weird IMO but I wasn't a big coconut fan myself)