Constipated Kitty Saga. Please talk to me I’m a wreck.

BastetCatMomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Bastet, is only 10 years old but she developed some pretty severe constipation. I noticed she was becoming lethargic and throwing up so I took her to the emergency vet. Her colon was really blocked and the vet admitted her to the hospital. Over two days they gave her 3 enemas and she passed most of the stool.
When I brought her home she was much more active and happy…but she still wasn’t pooping. In fact it was two days later and not a poop in sight even though she has been playful and eating well.
I took her back to my regular vet. He examined her and said she still had one big piece in her colon. He gave her another enema and then—about 30 minutes later—another one.
She immediately passed a little bit of formed stool—but not “The Big One”—not yet. It’s been about 3 hours now. I’m home. She is visiting the litter box frequently and dropping goopy poop/water but “The Big One” remains elusive.
She is eating and drinking. A little tired but nothing too out of the ordinary. I’m just so worried. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any advice. I just want her to poop I’m so worried.
I give her Miralax in her food now. I water her can food down. No dry food. And I give 1 ml of Lactulose (or however you spell it) twice a day. I don’t know what else to do. Experience and thoughts much appreciated.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Switch her to an all wet, high protein diet with no grains/wheat or fillers. Add in some plain canned pumpkin and some water to make it thick like oatmeal. The fiber in the pumpkin and the extra water will help move things along.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BastetCatMomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Switch her to an all wet, high protein diet with no grains/wheat or fillers. Add in some plain canned pumpkin and some water to make it thick like oatmeal. The fiber in the pumpkin and the extra water will help move things along.
Is the fiber a good idea? I’ve read such conflicting reports. Some say yes and it’s vital—some say no and that it’s counter-intuitive.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personally I use egg yolk for constipation amd it hasn't failed me yet.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hypomotility might be the issue, need to address the underlying cause of constipation rather than addressing the symptom. My cat has IBD and she has hypomotility that causes constipation and hairball blockage. I have to be careful of what I feed and how much I feed her. I do smaller meals.
If your cat has hypomotility issue, then egg yolk won’t help. Talk to your vet.

BastetCatMomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am gonna call again today… she still has not pooped. Just a bunch of gross watery poop liquid that smells.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You give JUST the egg yolk, not the white. I always mixed my 1/4 tsp. Miralax in that for my cat that was constipated. Your poor little one needs to pass that last piece. Miralax or Lactalose may soften it enough I hope. giving one teaspoon of butter may help too, I give it to my cats to pass their hairballs. Butter is very low, almost has 0 lactose, so its alright to give. I would give butter, not margarine. Make sure there are a bunch of little bowls of water setting around to encourage her to drink, they are curious about bowls. I will pray your little one comes out of this alright!

BastetCatMomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you guys think she is going to be alright. I’m so upset. She was eating less after the enema. But she may have just been sore. I’m in knots about this.

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had a bad constipation problem in Feb. this year. The vet did x-ray and said to give her the medicine you are giving. The next afternoon she wouldn't eat/drink and just laid there. By night time I took her to the ER. They did x-ray and said same thing but they gave her fluids, pain shot and told me to increase that medicine. The fluid and pain shot helped her big time. When I got her home (1 1/2 hours later) she was back to normal. Eating/drinking like normal. The day I found out about it she was throwing up every time she tried eating. 3 days later she still had not pooped but I talked with the other vet at my place (He is the best..can't stand the others) and he told me I needed to really push that stuff. He also had me get another kind of pooping meds. The 2nd one he gave me looked like toothpaste tub and it looked like poop. It took a lot of each one to finally get my cat to poop after almost 2 weeks. 1 ml for the liquid was not enough for my cat. They increased it but I can't remember by how much. Sorry, just have to many cats on different meds and I threw away what was left. Have you asked about increasing the amounts of the pooping meds? Sounds like the help is needed inside from the stomach way end and not the enema end. I was giving my Miralax too but that didn't help any. I was told to try adding plain canned pumpkin but of course mine wouldn't touch it in their canned food. I hope your kitty finally poops.

BastetCatMomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dad is home with my cat because I’m worried about her while I’m at work. He claims she did poop and sent me this picture but I don’t know. It looks like it could be pee. We just scooped the box so she definitely did a lot of something. And she has been eating according to my father. Here is a pic he sent of the litter. Any thoughts. It could be poop or pee to me.
075076FC-F75A-4B17-A5B0-3B0B509E1CD6.jpeg

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The bottom blob might be poop. Have your dad scoop it and that would tell for sure. It's good your dad will stay with your kitty while you are at work. Helps with your stress that is for sure.

BastetCatMomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was definitely a big chunky poop. I’m so happy I could cry. She seems so much better now. I’m thrilled.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of that! What is the dosage? Just a whole egg with food?
If you're giving it once a week, then one egg (personally I only give half, but I have two cats so I halve it) is fine. You can use just the egg yolk, or the entire egg, but never feed just the white. If you're giving daily, no more than 1/4 teaspoon daily.

I mix mine with a strong flavoured food, but if your kitty likes it on its own, or cooked, that's fine as well. Just be aware you may have to start at a smaller amount of egg and then gradually increase while she gets used to the taste. And also her tolerance for the egg needs to be tested, her body will tell you what's too much egg because it will cause loose stools.

So glad to hear she's doing better!

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm giving my IBD kitty 1/4 tsp dried yolk powder twice a day and she is still constipated. Egg yolk works with regular kitties with normal GI it seems. My cat has reduced motility and it doesn't seem to help.