Constipated Kitten?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The rule of thumb is one hour for every week. A three-week-old kitten eats every 3 hours; at four weeks every 4 hours; etc. By five weeks you can try soft foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BRC71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far so good, kitten is eating between 11-15ml every 3 hours and no runny poop since 8am this morning. We're still mixing about 10ml of liquid KMR with 10ml of the reconstituted powder. Purring, wiggling around and sleeping with its belly to the sky. Just wish we knew where the mama took its 2 siblings, feel bad for this one being all alone.

BRC71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So our new development....we began mixing the liquid kmr with the reconstituted and weened kitten back to the dry formula 100% with a few drops of olive oil in each bottle. Now she seems to have developed a taste for the liquid formula. She had been 12-15ml of the mixed stuff now that we're all dry, she gets down about 9-10ml then just keeps spitting the nipple, go get her some liquid and she sucks it right down. Is it okay to keep feeding her a blend of the dry and liquid kmr? Should we try straight goats milk, I hear mixed reviews on the goats milk.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If it works for you so it works for you. I wont debate with success.

I dont know what mixed reviews on goats milk you talk about. As I know, most of these anti-goat-milk simply didnt tried, and think goat milk is similiar to cow milk which is a no no.
That said, I followed once a debate among polish breeders. Some loved goats milk and some were very negative... But when the gunsmoke flew away, it cleared ALL those with negative experiences had used ONE particular brand of goats milk... Lesson? Its fully possible to destroy even such an excellent product as goats milk....

BRC71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Straight pasteurized goats milk? It's all I can find at the store here...says ultra pasteurized. Should we add anything to it....yogurt etc... It seems to like the mix of dry and liquid kmr....not sure yet about how its gut will respond.

BRC71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update...kitten is usually 'chomping' down this 50/50 KMR liquid/dry blend. It's up to about 380g, still has runny poo but not really diarrhea, goes about twice a day. We would still like to get on to all dry KMR.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Did a little reading and switched back to canned liquid and began adding 3 drops olive oil....and apparently at its 2am feeding...poop...glorious poop!
~ Yup ! Olive oil works really nice. Good for people too !
Nice to hear good news ...:hellocomputer:

BRC71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Soo...today after about 5 days of the 50/50 dry/liquid KMR mix, we finally have a 'normal' kitten poop. Formed...a little soft (like toothpaste) and a lot of it. Problem is it started with some tiny blood spots and ended with some blood spots. Not sure if its just irritation at is backside or something internal. She goes to vet tomorrow morning for a first round of de-worming anyways, so we will try to get some resolution from him. Also, lucky him, we saved a baggie with a good bit of kitten poo in it for them to look at (not sure if 24hr old poo will be of any good?). Otherwise, just about 400g, eating good, super active when awake, beginning to try and pounce and leap at things...so she doesn't seem sick.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Refrigerate the poop sample until you take it in. Good you’re getting normal poop. Let us know what the vet says! :)

BRC71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet said kitten looked great, didn't see any problem with the 50/50 KMR blend. He did give a de-worming regimen and said that the bowel problems and bleeding could be worms (she was born outside to a stray). Overall, good visit, kitten is almost up to 1lb.