Constipated cat! HELP!!!

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Aug 16, 2014
Messages
202
Reaction score
158
Location
Arizona
my cat has some stomach problems, food senstivity and constipation.2 problems too many :(.anyways her constipation has returned even with her medication. shes on miralax half tsp 2x daily and lactulose 3mls2x daily. her vet originally prescribe the lactulose to 3x daily though. with 1 tsp of miralax and 6mls of lactulose im wondering if i should call the vet or should i give her the other 3mls, would that even make a difference? i think her constipation has building up for as long as maybe 2-3 weeks when she had her last episode and since she has mild decreased appetite. shes pacing all around meowing, its sad 😢

so while i was posting the thread, i can tell she was getting more unconformable. so i gave her another 3/4 tsp of mirlax and 3ml of lactulose. at this point i dont care or doubt it'll give her diarrhea.

anyone had experiences like this with there cats? vet said a while back of possible mega colon or mega colon in the future and worse case scenario, she would need surgery. i dont know what to do :(
 

Columbine

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Joined
Feb 27, 2015
Messages
12,869
Reaction score
6,015
Location
The kitty playground
I'm so sorry you're going through this with your girl. If it were me, I'd contact the vet, especiallyas megacolon has been mentioned. Its possible she needs more help clearing the blockage than the laxatives alone can give. Your vet really is the best person to advise you in this case. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.


Everything You Need To Know About Constipation In Cats
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Aug 16, 2014
Messages
202
Reaction score
158
Location
Arizona
i called her internal medicine vet and shes out of the country and they dont know when she'll be back. recommended to either call her regular vet or call another hospital to see if the internal medicine vet is in unless its an emergency then to bring her in to them. kitty is still pacing and meowing but not as much. so stressful cause im a extreme high risk for the virus and the fact that i might have to bring her in is scary
 

Columbine

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Joined
Feb 27, 2015
Messages
12,869
Reaction score
6,015
Location
The kitty playground
I know the prospect of taking her in is scary, but I believe most places are doing minimal contact drop offs and pick ups to help keep everyone safe. I know my vets are.

How long has she been on the laxatives, and how long has it been since she's had a bowel movement?
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #5

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Aug 16, 2014
Messages
202
Reaction score
158
Location
Arizona
shes been on miralax since december and lactulose since june 10th. her regular vet is closed :sigh:
shes with banfield though so i can still try other locations. however shes more relaxed now. might wait to see how today goes and maybe just increase her meds until her internal medicine vet is back.

she didnt have a bowel yesterday, and pretty sure she didnt have one the day before. a little while ago there was some, quite a bit i believe unless it was mostly pee. idk lol cause it was soft
 

Columbine

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Joined
Feb 27, 2015
Messages
12,869
Reaction score
6,015
Location
The kitty playground
I'm glad she seems a little more comfortable now. I think I'd still try to at least speak to a vet over the phone, though. Such a tough situation, especially with the vet who prescribed the meds being away. I feel for you.
 

fionasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Jun 21, 2014
Messages
1,582
Reaction score
2,381
Location
Los Angeles
I understand your concern about the virus. Both of my vets have taken, easily, as many precautions as my doctors have, possibly more and I believe that you would hand the cat to a tech in the parking lot, depending on where you live. If it is a question of going into a room, most vet clinics are hard surfaces and probably have been sterilized easily. Tell them your concerns if you call.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #8

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Aug 16, 2014
Messages
202
Reaction score
158
Location
Arizona
shes def more comfortable now. shes on the couch grooming herself. im disabled so i dont drive so i have to take a handicap public transportation. then i would just stay at the clinic instead of going back and forth. which is why its concerning. i cant just drive to the lot and leave, if only. i will def give more meds tonight. also thought about calling the other specialty location to schedule with there internal medicine and just have that appt as a "just in case" but will also call the other banfield location to ask for the opinion first, hopefully theres one thats actually open
 

fionasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Jun 21, 2014
Messages
1,582
Reaction score
2,381
Location
Los Angeles
Oh gosh and I just see now that you are in AZ so are understandably concerned. Probably blazing hot as well so waiting outside is not a great idea. Banfield is a good idea and I hope that you can find some resource and that your cat remains comfortable.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #10

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Aug 16, 2014
Messages
202
Reaction score
158
Location
Arizona
so much for the heat killing the virus. we're now considered a hotspot for covid :angryfire:
after the 4th banfield i called finally got someone on the phone. they said they have no appts and for now just to follow up with them over the phone.
i called the other specialty location, they have their IM vet in but with the other IM vet at the other place ( the one we see) being out of the country, everyone is going to them now so their next appt is on 8/25 :( they also put us on the list if someone were to cancel.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #11

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Aug 16, 2014
Messages
202
Reaction score
158
Location
Arizona

Columbine

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Joined
Feb 27, 2015
Messages
12,869
Reaction score
6,015
Location
The kitty playground
Psyllium husk powder is safe for cats in some circumstances, but I really wouldn't advise it here. If there is an actual blockage it could make things a whole lot worse. There's a good reason your IM vet wasn't keen. I have issues in that respect myself and I speak from experience. I understand the worries and difficulties about going to a vet (I'm disabled too, and can't drive), but adding in extra things on your own is a recipe for disaster.

Try to speak to a vet on the phone, if nothing else, and stick to the meds your IM gave you as pprescribed. Actual blockages can be fatal, so its vital you stick to the prescribed meds only, and get advice from a vet if she doesn't manage to have a bowel movement soon.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #13

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Aug 16, 2014
Messages
202
Reaction score
158
Location
Arizona
her im vet recommended fiber response which has psyllium which is why i thought it would be a good idea. she just cant have the food cause her food allergies. until we can be seen i'll just increase her miralax. the im had said once she'll rather have my cat "od" on that (meaning diarrhea) than being constipated.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #14

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Aug 16, 2014
Messages
202
Reaction score
158
Location
Arizona
UPDATE!
i still believe shes still constipated. shes not meowing which is good but her appetite good be better. this morning she didnt even finish her wet food, and shes always crazy for her wet food. her poop schedule this week has been on sunday and wednesday (but very little) nothing yet for today. called an alternative banfield since ours is still closed. and recommended i should take her to e.r.. yesterday and today i tried some milk, very little though since i read it can cause diarrhea which in her case wouldnt be bad cause then all her poop can come out. no luck though.
was wondering what everyone think i should do? take her in? wait until monday til the nearest er is open? (its closed on weekends)
 

Columbine

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Joined
Feb 27, 2015
Messages
12,869
Reaction score
6,015
Location
The kitty playground
As a veterinary practice has recommended that you take her to the ER, then that's the best course of action. Take her in today if you can. She's definitely still acting like she's in pain, and waiting will only risk making it worse. I know you were hoping to avoid this, but it really is the best option at this point.

Do let us know what happens. I really hope things go well and that she's feeling better soon:vibes::vibes::vibes:
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #16

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Aug 16, 2014
Messages
202
Reaction score
158
Location
Arizona
im taking her tomorrow early morning. since i have to take public transportation, i cant schedule same day rides. so i scheduled a ride for tomorrow. this has been literally my worse fear since covid started. 1st fear, going to the hospital. 2nd fear, taking public transportation 😟
 

sidneykitty

Amber's mom
Alpha Cat
Joined
Dec 25, 2015
Messages
525
Reaction score
433
Location
Oregon
I'm sorry your kitty is not feeling well. My cat has chronic constipation and she is getting an enema literally as we speak.

I'm glad you are taking her in in since it seems she is not feeling well or eating. I hope they will be able to help her, whether she needs some fluids or an enema, and hopefully get her on the road to feeling better.

I totally understand being scared right now. Is it at all possible for you to take a taxi or other mode of transport instead of public transit to reduce your exposure? (You would want to tell them ahead when you call that you have a cat in the car.)
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #18

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Aug 16, 2014
Messages
202
Reaction score
158
Location
Arizona
no other options since im in a wheelchair. sometimes im the only one in the van. im hoping thats the case tomorrow. and then im gonna stay there for 3 hours, hopefully thats enough time. but would have to stay outside and its gonna be 110 degrees tomorrow 🥵.
im so sorry for your kitty! does she get enemas often? how long does it last till shes ready to go home?
 

Columbine

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Joined
Feb 27, 2015
Messages
12,869
Reaction score
6,015
Location
The kitty playground
I know its scary (and I really sympathise with you on that :hugs: ), but unfortunately it is needed. I hope you'll be able to find somewhere safe and cool to wait for her.
 

sidneykitty

Amber's mom
Alpha Cat
Joined
Dec 25, 2015
Messages
525
Reaction score
433
Location
Oregon
no other options since im in a wheelchair. sometimes im the only one in the van. im hoping thats the case tomorrow. and then im gonna stay there for 3 hours, hopefully thats enough time. but would have to stay outside and its gonna be 110 degrees tomorrow 🥵.
im so sorry for your kitty! does she get enemas often? how long does it last till shes ready to go home?
Oh I understand that really limits things. My hope is that everyone using it will also be taking lots of precautions. Do everything you can to keep yourself safe. :hugs:
Hopefully she'll feel better after going in!

This is only her second enema in two years. She is home now and feels much better and gobbled down a bunch of food when she got in the door (after gobbling food after her enema at the vet). She was at the vet from 9:15 until about 12:30. It turned out she just had one hard, dry fecal ball stuck in there that was "plugging" her colon up and the rest of her stool was a good consistency.

Make sure you explain to the vets tomorrow of your time limitations and hope they can work with you on that! And let us know how it goes. 🤗

P.S. What is your cat's name?
 
Top