Constantly accidentally pulling out cats hair out

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this most sound really bad, but I need help. So I have a computer chair with wheels around. My cat lays right next to the wheels so every time I try to move I end up pulling out alittle clumps of his hair, and he sounds out in pain. I try to always remember to look but its not always possible. And you would think after so many times he would get the idea, I mean hes not a dumb cat.... I even bought him a new bed for on the floor next to me but he only uses it when I'm not in the chair.... I also have a bed right next to me he could lay on but again he seems to like to be by my feet. I feel horrible and just don't know what else to try or do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree, you truly need to do something differently or he's going to get really hurt.

Maybe a box on the desk for him, or a cat tree next to the desk. Or, if these basically duplicate what you already have, try lifting him into one of the beds, every time. If he vacates the bed, lift him back in :)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A peice of clothing that smells like you on to the bed would be helpful to him staying. He wants to be close to you!

You could also try and entice him to the bed with catnip or a silvervine stick.

If it doesn't work, you will need to change chairs or cut two tennis balls in half and put them on the wheels to stop yourself rolling (there isn't always ergonomic chairs without wheels so this is a good hack to keep in mind).

Do you have plastic down for the chair? If not, it's slippery so might prevent him laying there. If yes, he might like the plastic so you can try buying him a separate peice.

Alternatively, give him something with sides to lay in like a box with some paper he can dig at and crunch up. You won't roll him over when he's in there! If that works, slowly move the box to the side of the chair so that he's more visible to teach him not to lay behind it.