Constant swallowing

haileym1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently took in a stray cat. I have another cat so I am keeping them separated for now. She was found outside in almost 90 degree weather. When we first found her she was meowing a lot and her voice was already somewhat raspy and I believe she was outside for about 48+ hours. She is eating and drinking water well and using her litter box normally. I noticed she is excessively swallowing and can’t meow barely at all. I can’t get her into a vet until Monday morning, should this be a big concern. She doesn’t seem distressed in anyway, she isn’t having trouble eating. No running nose or discharge from eyes or nose. No coughing or hair balls or vomiting. Just a little concerned but would like to be sure it’s not an emergency

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is eating and drinking normally, I would observe her this weekend. I would keep teh vet appt. if she doesn't get better, she may have something lodged in her throat. I would bet someone dumped her, she was extremely distressed and scared and was meowing nonstop for help. She is most likely dehydrated too. All can contribute to a sore, swollen throat and excessive swallowing. This is all dependent on her eating/drinking/using the litterbox normally of course. Bless you, for answering her calls for help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haileym1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she is eating and drinking normally, I would observe her this weekend. I would keep teh vet appt. if she doesn't get better, she may have something lodged in her throat. I would bet someone dumped her, she was extremely distressed and scared and was meowing nonstop for help. She is most likely dehydrated too. All can contribute to a sore, swollen throat and excessive swallowing. This is all dependent on her eating/drinking/using the litterbox normally of course. Bless you, for answering her calls for help!
Thank you soooo much for replying! The area I live in it is very common for strays, I do believe she was dumped as well, she is well groomed and has clipped nails. I’ve been feeding her wet food to make sure she stays hydrated and she has been drinking water here and there as well. Overall she is doing much better than when we found her outside and she doesn’t seem to be in pain. She isn’t drooling or coughing so I’m hoping she just had a sore throat. Thank you so much for your help!! :)

Attachments