Constant Overgrooming Frustrations

ngiyaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I was just hoping to get some advice on an overgrooming issue that I'm experiencing with my cat, Zeke. I adopted him from the shelter back in September and he had no initial issues. No overgrooming and was a happy cat. After the first couple weeks, he overgroomed himself so much that he ripped out hairs and I took him to the vet to get checked. He came back ringworm positive, while the rests of his tests came back negative. He has all of his shots and I have him on Revolution for flea treatment monthly. My current issue is, I'm unsure if the overgrooming is caused by the ringworm, which I'm still waiting for a negative results back while I've been treating him with Intrafungol (all his areas of injury have healed) or if it's possibly his food? The vet originally thought it was a food allergy before the ringworm test came back positive. I have him in a cone and it's been frustrating for both of us. He constantly licks the cone and I attempted to take it off today as recommended by the vet and he groomed himself wet after 15 minutes so I put it back on. The vet says ringworm treatment should get rid of the itchiness within the first few weeks and it's now been almost a month... Should I wait out the second ringworm test before transitioning his food? I'm very frustrated with this situation and want him to be out of the cone and help him in anyway that I can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shaunie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I was just hoping to get some advice on an overgrooming issue that I'm experiencing with my cat, Zeke. I adopted him from the shelter back in September and he had no initial issues. No overgrooming and was a happy cat. After the first couple weeks, he overgroomed himself so much that he ripped out hairs and I took him to the vet to get checked. He came back ringworm positive, while the rests of his tests came back negative. He has all of his shots and I have him on Revolution for flea treatment monthly. My current issue is, I'm unsure if the overgrooming is caused by the ringworm, which I'm still waiting for a negative results back while I've been treating him with Intrafungol (all his areas of injury have healed) or if it's possibly his food? The vet originally thought it was a food allergy before the ringworm test came back positive. I have him in a cone and it's been frustrating for both of us. He constantly licks the cone and I attempted to take it off today as recommended by the vet and he groomed himself wet after 15 minutes so I put it back on. The vet says ringworm treatment should get rid of the itchiness within the first few weeks and it's now been almost a month... Should I wait out the second ringworm test before transitioning his food? I'm very frustrated with this situation and want him to be out of the cone and help him in anyway that I can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hey, sorry to hear your cat got worms, how is he coping now? I am not too sure, as my baby is only new to me having a cat, so I am learning, but I'd wait! sorry I wanted to check in with you even though I am unsure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ngiyaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, sorry to hear your cat got worms, how is he coping now? I am not too sure, as my baby is only new to me having a cat, so I am learning, but I'd wait! sorry I wanted to check in with you even though I am unsure
Thank you for checking in! I was also considering waiting, it's just the cone has been difficult because he dips it into his litter box and can sometimes carry poop or litter on it through the house. Other than the overgrooming he's been pretty happy and very energetic. I just really don't want him to injure himself again.

Shaunie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for checking in! I was also considering waiting, it's just the cone has been difficult because he dips it into his litter box and can sometimes carry poop or litter on it through the house. Other than the overgrooming he's been pretty happy and very energetic. I just really don't want him to injure himself again.
You could keep a extra eye on him when you think he may injure himself? maybe putting some pillows or some blankets around on the floor to protect him from if he does injure himself? I tend to do that for my cat and his baby.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The overgrooming may not be connected to the ringworm, at least, the ringworm may well not be the cause of his overgrooming.

Is he on the same food he was at the shelter? Have you made any recent changes? What food is he on?

Did he lick to the point of bald patches or did the hair fall out where the ringworm lesions were?

Overgrooming could have many reasons but one that is often underestimated is stress. Stress in cats can look different from what we expect to see sometimes.

I'm wondering though if it's actually over grooming or hair loss on ringworm lesions caused by the fungus.

ngiyaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The overgrooming may not be connected to the ringworm, at least, the ringworm may well not be the cause of his overgrooming.

Is he on the same food he was at the shelter? Have you made any recent changes? What food is he on?

Did he lick to the point of bald patches or did the hair fall out where the ringworm lesions were?

Overgrooming could have many reasons but one that is often underestimated is stress. Stress in cats can look different from what we expect to see sometimes.

I'm wondering though if it's actually over grooming or hair loss on ringworm lesions caused by the fungus.
Yes we have him on the exact same diet as he was on at the shelter and haven't changed since we adopted him. He's on Hill's Science Diet for Kittens in the chicken flavor.

I believe he pulled out the patches of hair and originally yes they were in areas where the ringworm lesions were, but this time he's just licking all over his body. Sometimes he focuses on specific spots, but there seems to be no preference of where he's choosing to lick this time compared to last time. He also nibbles at the areas when he's grooming which makes me think that he's itchy. Even when I tried to distract him with toys he continued to groom and lick for a long time.

We also were concerned if it was the stress. We have felliway diffuser throughout the house to calm him. Overall, he's a very happy and energetic cat. We also play with him constantly to keep him entertained and make sure he doesn't get bored.

Shaunie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes we have him on the exact same diet as he was on at the shelter and haven't changed since we adopted him. He's on Hill's Science Diet for Kittens in the chicken flavor.

I believe he pulled out the patches of hair and originally yes they were in areas where the ringworm lesions were, but this time he's just licking all over his body. Sometimes he focuses on specific spots, but there seems to be no preference of where he's choosing to lick this time compared to last time. He also nibbles at the areas when he's grooming which makes me think that he's itchy. Even when I tried to distract him with toys he continued to groom and lick for a long time.

We also were concerned if it was the stress. We have felliway diffuser throughout the house to calm him. Overall, he's a very happy and energetic cat. We also play with him constantly to keep him entertained and make sure he doesn't get bored.
sorry I wasn't much help, I am sorry!

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Does he currently have bald patches from the grooming?

ngiyaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does he currently have bald patches from the grooming?
No he doesn’t because he’s been wearing the cone this entire time. It was just when we were asked to monitor him with the cone off for a little while that he constantly started grooming nonstop.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
15 minutes of intense grooming may be normal after a long while in a cone. Kind of like if we weren't allowed to shower for some time, we would probably have a good, long shower when we finally can. Could you try again and monitor a bit longer, to see if he will calm down after an initial cleaning spree?

ngiyaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
15 minutes of intense grooming may be normal after a long while in a cone. Kind of like if we weren't allowed to shower for some time, we would probably have a good, long shower when we finally can. Could you try again and monitor a bit longer, to see if he will calm down after an initial cleaning spree?
I’ll give it a try again I did it multiple times giving him the opportunity to try again. I figured he would be excited to groom but he’s really biting at himself.