Constant meowing

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody,
I have a problem that is driving crazy.
My kitten Giada meows constantly, dawn till night, with very few breaks during the day. And it isn't even a classic sweet meow, it's more like a loud high-pitched meow, something that pierces like a drill right through my ears and brain and shakes my nerves!
She's nearly 11 months old, healthy (apart from a giardia that isn't going to go away), not spayed yet for a long series of reasons, anyway she has never shown any sign of heat.

She meows when
  • She's hungry (which she happens to be every about 45 minutes)
  • She's bored and wants to play
  • She wants company
  • She feels hot and looks for a cooler spot
  • She's tired
  • She sees a fly, a mosquito, a midge, a moth, a spider, or whatever bug on the floor, walls, ceiling, in the air
  • She sees a fly, a butterfly, a bird, a bat, another cat, outside the window
  • She thinks she has seen any of the above (even when nothing is really there)
  • She sees a shadow, a glare on a wall, ceiling, any other surface
  • She hears a can or a jar opening
  • She jumps from the floor to the counter, table, window sill, and the other way round
  • I'm in another room and the door is closed (i.e. the bathroom)
  • She just likes to hear the sound of her voice
I can't do anything during my spare time because her loud meow breaks my attention, my concentration. Or even when she's not meowing, I expect she's going to meow any minute. If I wish to take a short nap on the couch I can't fall asleep because I'm waiting for her to meow.
And when she doesn't meow, she howls, yowls, moans, etc...
The only grace time is between midnight and 5 am, when she wakes us up because she's hungry, and the cycle repeats!
She's been doing this since last February, at that time she would start meowing very loud around 10 pm every single night, then she started doing it all day long.

She's lovely, sweet, cute, but this habit is making living with her in harmony very hard.
How can I survive this?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking of ear plugs, a sound machine and/or a fan for white noise (with the air stream/breeze directed away from her) for you, and maybe cat music for her?

I've had some terrific positive feedback about it, there's Spotify, YouTube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as sources that you could look into and try for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking of ear plugs, a sound machine and/or a fan for white noise (with the air stream/breeze directed away from her) for you, and maybe cat music for her?
It's a joke, I suppose :D
The solution must be in understanding why she needs to vocalize so much.
My hope is that after the spaying things my improve a lot, though the vet said it might not be the final solution.
I even thought she was deaf, or partially deaf, and needed to shout to make her heard, but then I saw she can spot a moth in the room even when she's sleeping.

I've had some terrific positive feedback about it, there's Spotify, YouTube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as sources that you could look into and try for her.
I had a cat before this one, a cat which I had to re-home because I and her weren't the right mix. She was always nervous and had an aggressive attitude towards me. I tried everything, from Feliway, to music for cats, Australian Flowers, and other remedies that didn't work. I re-homed her to a new house and she found the peace she was looking for, she's completely relaxed there.
So, music didn't work for her.

This one couldn't care less about radio and TV, she doesn't even realize they're on.
She doesn't even respond to her name yet!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby (15+ yo) started what I call 'squawking' (I could call it screeching, but am trying to be nice) a couple of years ago - cannot find any one reason for it, other than because she found out she can. Hers may have started with a flea infestation, but the bottom line is she is healthy for her age, and now I think she does it because she wants to. Depending on when she does it, I just either ignore her or I wave at her and 'squawk' back. It is like most anything in life, there will always be annoyances around you - how you choose to react (or not) to them is how much of a bother they are.

If Giada is healthy (other than the giardia) you can hope for it to reduce in intensity when she is spayed, and/or as she matures. (I suppose she could start back up again when she gets to whatever point Feeby has now reached!!) But, if it does not subside with spaying or maturing, you will have to find a way to 'let it go'. I have found that this is 'just Feeby', and I am OK with that.

You need to consider since you mention the giardia isn't going to go away, that it is irritating enough to her to put her on edge most of the time. That is what I think the flea infestation did to Feeby - she was always on edge causing her to react to things she might not have reacted to otherwise. Now, that we have the fleas mostly under control, I just think Feeby found a new 'hobby'.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wasn't joking, actually :). Since it's stressing you to the degree you described, and a reason for her constant yelling isn't easy to determine, then in order to ease your feelings and have your emotions more calm (and give you a little more control over the situation) --which is much better for your cat since cats pick up on human stress, you need to take temporary steps, at least until you can reach the stage that FeebysOwner FeebysOwner describes.

You might be quite pleasantly surprised if you aren't familiar with this, musicforcats isn't music in the normal sense.
Home | Music for Cats | David Teie