Constant meowing

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Recently, my 6 year old Harley has been trying to get outside when we leave. He's been successful a few times and actually went missing for a few hours one day, but came back home. I couldn't find him anywhere and was terrified
Since then, he will sit at any of the doors going outside and meow for HOURS - and quite loud, which is awful since we have a 9 month old and he's constantly waking him up with his loud meows.

What can we do to stop this? Bayley doesn't do it, although he too has tried to get outside when we go. I try to stop them and move them from the door when we leave, but sometimes when I am carrying my son, diaper bag & other things, he'll run between my legs and scoot out.

Any suggestions with the meowing would be helpful. Sometimes I think taking them outside more often on leashes supervised would help, but then I think they would want out more often and still do this behavior - right? Maybe I'm wrong

Thanks for the help!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Building an outdoor enclosure isn't possible, right?

I also think that letting him go out on harness/leash will only make his meowing worse, but I don't know for sure. Does he distract when he's meowing/wanting out - like can you play with a wand toy & him? (I know in some situations you won't be able to)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Building an outdoor enclosure isn't possible, right?

I also think that letting him go out on harness/leash will only make his meowing worse, but I don't know for sure. Does he distract when he's meowing/wanting out - like can you play with a wand toy & him? (I know in some situations you won't be able to)
Well, maybe John can build an outdoor enclosure
We live in a house now with a large yard (we rent) since we moved back here - so maybe I'll talk to him about that! Thanks Nat!

No, and distracting him is definately not possible - when he wants out - nothing will distract him, not even treats!
But Bayley will eat his share

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I built one with my dad, it's easier than one would think. If you rent, and need a movable one - consider getting a dog exercise pen & somehow fitting it with a secure roof. I put one of my deck for the house cats.

Actually, if you have one of these for Landon (or can get one easier than the exercise pen) & don't use it - you can also retrofit one of them for an outdoor enclosure.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I built one with my dad, it's easier than one would think. If you rent, and need a movable one - consider getting a dog exercise pen & somehow fitting it with a secure roof. I put one of my deck for the house cats.

Actually, if you have one of these for Landon (or can get one easier than the exercise pen) & don't use it - you can also retrofit one of them for an outdoor enclosure.
Oooh, great ideas! I'll run them by John & see what he thinks. Thanks, I hope this works

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um, when can Harley move in? He would LOVE it out there!

I just added "cat enclosure" on John's to-do list. He'll love me for that

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Um, when can Harley move in? He would LOVE it out there!
My cats would probably eat him alive.
I built the enclosure because I was having so many problems with Squishy fighting non-stop, and he's too "portly" to out-run his opponents! These guys may be neutered, but some of them never got the memo.
It's turned out to be a wonderful thing to have, if one of the farm kitties needs surgery they have a nice space that's more comfortable for them to recover. So I'm all for you (or rather John) building one!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope we can get one built this summer. This constant meowing is driving us nuts!
I don't know what we're going to do if we don't get one built. It will be a long winter.

We were out of the house for awhile tonight, and once we got home about an hour ago, it's been non-stop LOUD meowing. He won't stop for anything & he's woken my son up about 3 times. I don't know what to do

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He could be meowing out of boredom, and sees outside as fun/adventure. Having an enclosure may not solve the problem, especially if you will need to keep him in over winter.