Consequences of Neutering a Male Maine Coon Early??

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heya,

I have a Maine Coon MALE cat – currently he’s exactly 11 months old and 14 days. He weighs between 15.7-15.9 pounds – he’s not very muscular. My vet said Maine Coons aren’t a muscular breed – but online says otherwise. He is NOT overweight – barely has a pouch on his tummy. HOWEVER – he will eat everything until it’s done!!!! If I left kibble out he’d be overweight overnight. I feed him grain free canned food 98% of the time. I got him from Poland when he was 4 months old.

My question/concern is – he was neutered when his “eggs” (yes the word used! hahaha) were found??? So he was neutered at 3 months and 9 days – which I realize is probably very very young! I read online that cats should not be spayed/neutered before 6 months.
So it made me question – what are the consequences of fixing a male cat earlier? Looks like their Urethra would be smaller. So that puts them at a higher risk of kidney stones correct? What other health concerns? How about less serious stuff such as size (since that’s important but not vital to a Maine Coon).

Thanks!!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats, in general, can be neutered as soon as they’re over 1kg. This is early in an MCs development, though. Most reputable breeders neuter their MC kittens at around 3 to 3 1/2 months before they’re sold, which is a perfectly good age. The idea that you should wait till after 6 months to neuter a cat is quite outdated. The current wisdom is to neuter BEFORE 5 months to prevent onset of sexual maturity.

He’s not muscular and eating a lot because he’s a baby who’s still growing — MCO take a very long time to mature. Level of muscle also depends on lines — some MC will be a lot more slender than others so he may just not grow to be as muscular as you’re expecting.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Studies show no negative consequences to early spay/neuter in cats. I know some MC breeders claim you should wait longer because of their size, but this seems to be personal preference. Early-neutered cats are somewhat leggier than late-neuters but this doesn't seem to cause any trouble. It does, however, cause problems in large-breed dogs.
Early Spay Neuter – The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my dvm will only neuter at 5- 6 month mark, for years, they said it is safer. For Quinn, a siamese, his breeder said at 4-5 lbs or 6 months. He was neutered at about 6 months and is fine. No issues with muscle, he is super muscular. Merlin who I suspect may have some mc in him was oudoors and not neutered until 2 years or so. He is fine too, he is a large, big boned ginger tabby tux. He does eat like crazy, non stop and had become overweight outside, I got him to lose some but he screams all day long to eat. He is the most food obsessed ever of my furries. I think it is partly psychological from living outside maybe although my other outdoor rescues were not like this.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
This came up in an MCO group I’m in today. General consensus is that neutering in general may raise risk of fractures and other such issues, but doesn’t matter *when* the neutering takes place according to recent research. The risk factors for feline physial dysplasia is considered genetic
English translations are after the Swedish.
https://stud.epsilon.slu.se/10525/7/lindén_s_170816.pdf

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@ Maurey Maurey
Thank you for the link - I will read this article!

Studies show no negative consequences to early spay/neuter in cats. I know some MC breeders claim you should wait longer because of their size, but this seems to be personal preference. Early-neutered cats are somewhat leggier than late-neuters but this doesn't seem to cause any trouble. It does, however, cause problems in large-breed dogs.
Early Spay Neuter – The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc
Waiting longer would do what for their size? I assume allow them to grow bigger? My Maine Coon is at 15.9 pounds at 11.5 months - that's not super small... hmm makes me somewhat sad. However, I am happy that leggier (assuming he is leggier) has no adverse effects/increase risk of hip dysplasia.