Conjuctivitis/feline Herp Among My Brood

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Friends,
I'm a crazy cat person with a herd of 12 cats. ONE is feral and being kept separate from the rest. They all stay indoors and range in age from 10 months to 11 years. We have runny eyes and sneezing making their way through the population. So far two have had full-on runny eyes, one with one runny eye, and another with one eye that is a little squinty but not too bad. I can't separate them all from each other because of lack of space. This is the FIRST time this has ever happened. I suspect that the first to get sick picked it up at a vet appt last week. We have the antibiotic drops which are helping, and the first to get sick is clearing up, as is the second. Are they ALL going to get sick or does it depend on their immune systems?
I'm not sure how much cleaning I can do..have washed some beds, have stepped up hand-washing and swapping out towels for them to sleep on. Unfortunately we're in CT so it's cold and we can't really air the house out. I've gotten more drops from the vet so will treat them as symptoms appear.
Open to all suggestions, just not sure how manageable this will be. Help. Thanks.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I suspect that most of them will have a bout with it, the severity depending on the individual immune systems. That's a lot of cats in one house (NO, not saying it is wrong, but it does mean close quarters), and things like that can spread like wildfire! Hang in there, it seems like you are getting a handle on it at this point.