Congestive Heart Failure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're very welcome. I think you'll find it helpful.

It's pretty scary to see their wee heart race like that - especially when they have some heart trouble. My boy Charlie has HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) not the same thing as yours but I can still understand how you feel. Scary stuff.
yeah its so sad, last time his HR shot up to 250 (dont know how that is even possible) and RR was 80...?
He has HCM but it is at advanced stage with 1 failure already :(

xenadanielle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe a couple of the vet techs at your vets office would be willing to take turns pilling your kitty, depending on their work shifts and such. Your kitty would be in good hands and they're not "total" strangers.
Perhaps your husband can do one or two of the doses depending on his work schedule and you would only need someone for the third dose.
Thanks Jem Jem . I asked my vet already, and was disappointed that they did not suggest/offer anyone; the former office manager used to do at-home care but she left the practice when the original owner retired. I think I remember her last name though...maybe I can look for her online. My aforementioned friend asked her vet's office too and no luck. My husband will NOT do it. I love him and all but...no.

suh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for this feedback! My regular vet mentioned doing the lasix injection in an "emergency" if I cannot get to her cardio vet who works out of different offices all over the state. May I ask what your cats' symptoms were, when you knew it was their time to go? I ask because for now Ziva seems fine and not suffering at all. I don't know if I should expect something sudden, or if it will be something where the meds are not working anymore etc.
yeh, definitely, lasix injection is pretty good during emergency. I got the insulin syringe to use with the lasix, cause the needle is much much smaller and doesnt sting as much.

for both my cats, it was sudden. one of them threw a clot, the other's heart enlarged significantly in a very short period of time. but I think just treasure the time you have with them, don't think too much about when it's their time to go. just keep them happy for as long as you can!

xenadanielle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Look up pet sitters international, I found one on there.... its a website and you can put in your zipcode to find people near you.
Also asking the vet for any techs who animal sit is a great idea!
I have the same issue; when I leave my husband cant pill Louie Louie wont let him come near him!
Also buy a pet pill syringe on amazon! Theyre like 2-4$ and work so well!!
Thanks amandag1 amandag1 - how is Louie doing BTW?

I will look on pet sitters, thanks for the suggestion. What would be awkward, though, is that my husband will be home while all this is going on! I wonder if they will wonder why the heck I need a pet sitter. LOL.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks amandag1 amandag1 - how is Louie doing BTW?

I will look on pet sitters, thanks for the suggestion. What would be awkward, though, is that my husband will be home while all this is going on! I wonder if they will wonder why the heck I need a pet sitter. LOL.
that is funny, i had the SAME issue. I just told her straight up, Louie doesn't like him!
Louie is okay, we are battling some days of low appetite. He does have a followup next week and I pray for better news.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just thought of something else. I have a friend that owns a kennel/animal grooming business. She has offered to help me out of I ever needed it. I know she is my friend but, if you can't find a sitter, maybe a kennel or grooming place has trustworthy staff who know how to pill a cat. At least with a kennel, they should know if they care for animals for long periods. You could contact them and ask if any of them would want to make some extra cash on the side?
Also, maybe a local shelter or animal rescue group has staff or volunteers who would be willing to help you out if you make a donation to their organization?

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
My dear ragamuffin kitty is only 2 years old and was taken to the vet ER last night. They found significant fluid build up in his lungs and he had labored breathing. I noticed he wasn't eating well Friday and took him Sunday evening.

Has anyone dealt with managing cats with CHF and heart failures? The vets are telling me that if he can be controlled on medication it may only be 6 months- 1 year, that typically they dont do well on home medications.

He is in oxygen therapy now and received IV lasix..... I feel so so so so so terrible and heartbroken. I know cardiac disease is a silent killer for cats.... what should I do?
Im so sorry for ure baby n u
May God Be With Ure Baby...And he get better by the grace of God...Amen