Congestive Heart Failure

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Burt was diagnosed with CHF and an enlarged heart when he was twelve. He managed very well on Lasix until the age of 16. I was always afraid of blood clots and when he got better, decreased his lasix to once a day after talking with the vet. Hids symptoms were decreased activity and a cough. I think a combination of drugs might be better. I gave him his meds by 'pasting' them to a small piece of bacon with a tiny piece of Pill Pocket for cats. He never tired of bacon.
All you can do at this point is to trust your vet's advise. Just love him all you can and keep a quiet environment for him. For him, his beloved home and your love is all he needs.......

xenadanielle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All the best wishes for you and Ziva. It is such a hard diagnosis. Louie has been in oxygen therapy since Sunday night.... 40% oxygen.
Thanks! Poor Louie. The fluid being actually *in* his lungs seems different than what we were told about Ziva. The vets all said the fluid was in the chest cavity sort of "around" the lungs if that makes sense,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea, the cardiologist said a majority of Louie's fluid buildup was pulmonary edema vs pleural effusion and he also has the diastolic version of HCM, so contractility meds arent going to work on him... They did give me an update today that most of the fluids cleared off and they are monitoring him outside of oxygen therapy today. Fingers crossed...

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update on Louie
He is home now, chest xrays showed nearly all fluid gone from inside his lungs. Talked in depth with the cardiologist; he said Louie’s heart muscle is moderately thickened and he doesnt have contractility issues but when he contracts enough blood does get circulated due to the occlusion of the lumen of his heart from the thick muscle.
He said realistically cats live a few months to a year with a dx of CHF but some cats do surprise us all and keep on for longer.
Louie will be seen in 2-3 weeks again and then in 3 months to check if the heart has changed at all.
He did mention sometimes, just sometimesssss the muscle thickness decreases because it was partly inflamed...

I PRAYYYYY TO GOD ,ANY GOD ,ANY SPIRITUAL BEING that Louie is one of those exceptional cases.
I cant loose my boy :(

As for his behavior at home, he is relaxed sleepy mostly, and ate a little bit but definitely not his normal amount.

I was told to apply mirtazapine once daily to his inner ear and he is to take lasix 2x a day and plavix.

Positive vibessss pleaseeeee
Thank you all for listening. It really helps to just talk about it.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone.
Louie is doing okay...he seems very tired and sometimes a little bit slow and extra cautious. He used to lick his food bowl clean but now its taking longer to even get through half of a 3.0 oz can. I think his appetite is slowly recovering though, I am still applying the mirataz ointment.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Louie updates
Been watching him like a hawk. Meds on time every day. He doesnt like pill pockets, but i have found I can hide them in a Sheba Meaty stick!! Hurray!

Ive been keeping a log of his respiratory rate too... we are getting mostly high 20s-30s and few low 40s

Last night I was really watching his resp effort though... and he even though he was cozied up in his bed sleepy eyed I thought his stomach was going in and out too hard...?
Eating has been fine, and litterbox usage fine too... even plays with strings and stuff like he used to.

Should I be concerned about effort?
I just tried to insert video it wont let me.. file too large.

His meow also sounded croakey...
Sometimes when i watch him and try to count his resp and watch the effort he is actively purring which i think requires more muscle movementt..

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy showed more labored (abdominal) breathing over a high respiratory rate when he was sick. His respiratory rate was always in the low to mid 30s (which isn't horrible, considering his condition) but he would really push to breath. If it's only happening when he purrs it could be just that, although that is what we thought also before we got a diagnosis on his condition. His respiratory rate did not increase until the fluid retention was really bad, when it was just "starting" to fill up he would just breath harder, not faster. I think I would err on the side of caution and see if he may have fluid building up again. Ours also had a croaky meow, again, that was one symptom that presented BEFORE things got bad.
Sorry, I'm not being very positive am I....

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heres him about 10 minutes ago

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heres him now
Rolling around looking okay
Not purring looks less labored

And here was late last night purring

xenadanielle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aw - Louie. I get very nervous watching Ziva's breathing too.

This week she was a real stinker and hid two mornings where I could not find her, so she did not get her meds when scheduled.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all...
Louie update.
Took him into the cardiologist today.
He was very anxious in the carrier and tried to bite and push out.
He started breathing really fast and I was really worried driving (30 min ride)

We got there and they took him for labs and xrays.
The Dr came in and said fluid has returned in his chest and his RR was 80 (high should be 40) and the lasix dose needs to go up.
They gave him a lasix injection at that visit.... he was really scared in general during and before the visit.
I got really upset because he seemed to be doing well at home.
Eating a little more each day... playing and always waiting for me / following me around.

I was away for 4 days and I had my pet sitter & husband give his meds.
My husband wasnt able to give him any at all on Saturday and I am thinking the rest of the week wasnt so consistent either.... (louie is really afraid of males and my husband so he cant pill gun him)

I am a wreck about this. I spend 95% of my day worrying and checking on him. Ive installed two pet cams and watch him...

Vet advised to up his dosage of lasix (3x a day now, 12.5 mg each, added atenolol.

Thwy also have gabapentin to give before the vet cisit.
Anyone have experiences with this? Does it help calm them?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have experience, but if you can, try and find ways to ease your stress because your kitty is picking up on your emotions. Chamomile tea with honey, holy basil, L-tryptophan and ignatia Amara can help you.

You should also look into these to help your cat with vet visits;
Only Natural Pet has a product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Music can be useful in general in helping a cat to relax whether they are healthy and especially when they're not (not 24 hours a day though, just now and then for a couple hours or so). Musicforcats . com, or there's an app called Relax My Cat or there is low volume classical harp music.

You could try one of these, only a small selection of a fast-growing section of pet products;
Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, Quiet Moments Cat treats, and there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry, Comfort Zone and feliway as mentioned although diffusers are expensive and not always the answer.

If it's legal where you are, you might want to check with your vet but some people have good results with CBD oil, plus there are vet-prescribed calming products too.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

Last edited: