Congestive Heart failure in 7 month kitten

Minicatfam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 7 month old kitten Claire experienced congestive heart failure on Thursday. She had been acting normally Wednesday with the exception of not being as excited about dinner as usual, which I attributed to my kids feeding her treats. She didn’t eat breakfast Thursday early morning and by noon had hidden herself, when we found her she was laying very still and struggling to breathe, heaving breaths. We rushed her to the closest emergency vet where they rushed her back to begin oxygen and treatment. After tests told us she was in congestive heart failure and outlook was guarded to poor, they’d see if she made it through the night and if she did, we’d need to do an emergency transfer to a cardiologist. We spent the night calling cardiologists and the emergency center was able to help us get in with the closest cardiologist a couple hours away. In the morning they had gotten some fluid to drain and felt she was stable enough to transfer. After a day of tests and treatment, EKGs, etc, the cardiologist diagnosed Claire with HoCM, hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. Parts of her heart are enlarged and unless she has experienced extreme stress, which we do not believe is likely as she’s a spoiled happy kitten, he said it is a congenital heart disorder that would have been genetic. The cardiologist was able to help get Claire’s fluid drained and her off oxygen and sent home with us, now on multiple medications - blood thinners, diuretics, and heart stabilizers. We are waiting on the results of another test that will give us more information but it is likely she has months left.

I have a tween daughter and an autistic son with special needs. We lost my other son a few years ago unexpectedly. We then lost our 18 year old family cat Mara in April and my children were devastated. My special needs son was extremely attached to her, he is homeschooled and spent all day cuddling her. She was his “emotional support cat”. She was a purebred and we began looking for a similar looking cat and found Claire, at a breeder and brought her home July 1st. My children, and son immediately bonded with her and Claire with him. Our vet noticed a reaction to her spay surgery and sent us back to the breeder and her vet- who determined that it was minor and due to the glue they used. The breeder accused me of “trying to scam her” , when we were just concerned for Claire. The contract we have with the breeder states that any issue within the first week would be covered by her and that any genetic condition found means that she is responsible for providing a replacement. This isn’t something we had thought would be an issue as the breeder claimed she had genetically tested Claire’s parents and they were free from any issues. Now I find from the vet that this heart issue is likely genetic. I am distraught right now. We love Claire, my children have bonded with her and affording her in the first place wasn’t easy. We’ve been through so much already in the last few years. We’ve now spent , with permission, about the total of my daughters college saving account trying to save Claire. With the knowledge that we won’t likely have much longer with her, I’m struggling with my own grief and my children’s. I’m worried about my children’s reaction and mental health. Should I contact the breeder? When the inevitable happens we can’t afford to buy another kitten, is the breeder’s contract enforceable and should she provide another kitten?
Thank you for reading and any advise is welcome. Also, prayers or positive thoughts please.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sending you all the prayers I can. :hugs:
I would contact the breeder, and tell them what's going on. I'd include copies of the vets findings and comments, and explain that they feel this is genetic, but make sure you tell the breeder you're not accusing them of doing anything "on purpose". Even health tested parents can throw a genetic problem once in awhile. If they were planning a repeat breeding, they might re consider. A good breeder wants to know these things. For now, I would put aside the worry that the breeder might not be receptive, or would become difficult to work with and deal with that only IF it should happen. Right now, focus on your family and your kitten.
You have been through a lot, and you and your family and Claire don't deserve this. I am so sorry for all the loss you all have suffered. I wish I could be more help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minicatfam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
iPappy - Thank you so much for everything. I will contact Claire’s breeder on Monday. Claire has even more cuddly than normal since getting home, and she’s made an effort to lightly scratch almost every surface in our home to scent-mark it, though she usually was always good about using her scratching posts. I’ve told the kids that it’s her way of saying this is her home and she belongs here. Here is a photo of her after a nap a c couple months ago.
FF78338B-8012-4BAF-89EA-BCFF7127924E.jpeg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats always scratch things when they feel good (even though they know they're not supposed to!) So it sounds like she feels good :)
She is absolutely adorable!!! What breed is she? It almost looks like she has a heart shape on her side when she's laying down. Her little face looks so kissable! :loveeyes:

Minicatfam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She jumped in the laundry basket today, which she’s always loved doing too. She seems happy, but we’ve been worried anyway. My kids were both up at different times last night, frantic to check on her.

Thank you 😊 We love that heart looking spot on her back, she’s our sweetheart 😻 She is a Minuet (a Munchkin/Persian cross) She loves to be carried and cuddled, has been patient with my special needs son’s loud noises and movements, and loves everyone.
Your cats in your profile are beautiful as well :)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She jumped in the laundry basket today, which she’s always loved doing too. She seems happy, but we’ve been worried anyway. My kids were both up at different times last night, frantic to check on her.

Thank you 😊 We love that heart looking spot on her back, she’s our sweetheart 😻 She is a Minuet (a Munchkin/Persian cross) She loves to be carried and cuddled, has been patient with my special needs son’s loud noises and movements, and loves everyone.
Your cats in your profile are beautiful as well :)
Your kids sound so sweet, and so worried about their baby. How is she handling her medications? And how long do you think it will be before you get the results of the other test(s) that will give you more information?
My vet has a Munchkin cat! This little cat was a free give away, and my vet snatched her up. This little cat kept us both laughing with her zoomies and antics when I had my Papillon dog to her place twice a week for his cancer treatments. She's opinionated, and loves boxes and compliments in no particular order (the cat, not my vet! :lol: )
I care for pets for a living, and I've seen some miracles. Some were given weeks or months to live with a grave prognosis, and somehow, they got years. I'm not trying to tell you she will live to be 20, but she's a young happy little cat getting the best vet care, and lives in a stress free loving home, so I'm saying some prayers that she'll be one of those that beats the odds. :hugs:

Minicatfam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Claire seems to be handling the medicine well. She will take the pills in salmon flavored pill pockets and I wrap her in a towel and shoot the liquid in the back of her mouth like the vet showed me. She is drinking and peeing a ton, which is a good sign, due to the diuretics. I need to call our regular vet as the cardiologist wanted her to have another X-ray at the end of the week to verify that the fluid has all left where it shouldn’t be. The cardiologist estimated about 7-10 days for the troponin test results, and we are praying they are as good as can be.
Claire likes boxes as well and she hates when anyone is in the bathroom. She spends most of the day cuddling but if she hears someone go into the bathroom, she’ll run up, sit and meow at the door, and demands that you cuddle and pet her whenever you come out. When we first brought her home, she cried at night when we’d go to sleep - she wanted someone to wake up and pet her! She finally settled for sleeping curled next to my daughter’s face (my son wiggles too much in his sleep).
I’m sorry to hear about your Papillon’s cancer. It’s so hard, our pets are so much members of the family.
Thank you so much for your prayers, they are very appreciated 🤗

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ This is often the result of inbreeding — mostly stray cats. I had several little kittens pass this way ... :vibes::lovecat2:💕

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Claire seems to be handling the medicine well. She will take the pills in salmon flavored pill pockets and I wrap her in a towel and shoot the liquid in the back of her mouth like the vet showed me. She is drinking and peeing a ton, which is a good sign, due to the diuretics. I need to call our regular vet as the cardiologist wanted her to have another X-ray at the end of the week to verify that the fluid has all left where it shouldn’t be. The cardiologist estimated about 7-10 days for the troponin test results, and we are praying they are as good as can be.
Claire likes boxes as well and she hates when anyone is in the bathroom. She spends most of the day cuddling but if she hears someone go into the bathroom, she’ll run up, sit and meow at the door, and demands that you cuddle and pet her whenever you come out. When we first brought her home, she cried at night when we’d go to sleep - she wanted someone to wake up and pet her! She finally settled for sleeping curled next to my daughter’s face (my son wiggles too much in his sleep).
I’m sorry to hear about your Papillon’s cancer. It’s so hard, our pets are so much members of the family.
Thank you so much for your prayers, they are very appreciated 🤗
That bathroom quirk is so cute! Sarah (my 14.5 year old) will sit at my bedroom door if I oversleep by one minute and let out the most awful yowls. They all have their personalities and little habits!
I so hope her tests come back with the best news possible. I'm really hoping and praying they can help her! I hope your kids are doing OK with all of this as well, it has to be hard for everyone.
And thank you for your thoughts about my little Papillon. He was 13.5 when he passed, a long life but it's never long enough.
That's so sweet how she wants to sleep next to your daughters face. I had a cat like that growing up, he'd even allow me to dress him up in doll clothes. :lol:
Please keep us updated, I'm really praying for good news! :hugs: