Congested cat - symptoms back right after antibiotics

meowmixing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just moved a few weeks ago to a new area and have a 12 year old male cat.

He developed cold symptoms for over a week (sneezy, watery eyes, congested). I think I waited a bit too long to take him to the vet (made an appointment at a recommended cat vet right away but had a long wait time). Eventually he sounded so congested and uncomfortable I took him to an urgent care type place (with really bad reviews) who put him on some antibiotics.

After a day or two it seemed like he was on the mend - stopped sneezing and breathing did not sound congested. Now that he has stopped the symptoms are coming back!

I have an appointment with the ‘good’ cat vet in about 3 days. I am not sure if I should just take him back to the original place again immediately or wait. I feel so bad hearing him congested and uncomfortable but hard to gauge how serious it is.

Has anyone experienced respiratory symptoms that came back right after antibiotics ran out? Wondering if I can afford to wait the few days until his appointment at the ‘good’ vet. Money is not really a factor, he has insurance that would kick in above amounts I would get uncomfortable with. I just want him to have good care especially since hes a senior now…

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. He could be experiencing allergies (new area?), or a viral flare up of some sort (perhaps, brought on by the move). Some will lead to a secondary infection, but typically just a day or two of the antibiotics won't be enough to clear up any infection. Even if they gave him an antibiotic injection, it takes longer than just a couple of days. So, I am not sure why you saw a difference that quickly. Did they give him any other treatments?

If he is eating/drinking OK, you could try to run hot water in a bathroom with the door closed in order to create steam, and then sit in there with him for 5-10 minutes to see if that helps with the congestion. If so, maybe multiple times a day.

Make sure you have all the records/details from his urgent care visit to share with the new vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowmixing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. He could be experiencing allergies (new area?), or a viral flare up of some sort (perhaps, brought on by the move). Some will lead to a secondary infection, but typically just a day or two of the antibiotics won't be enough to clear up any infection. Even if they gave him an antibiotic injection, it takes longer than just a couple of days. So, I am not sure why you saw a difference that quickly. Did they give him any other treatments?

If he is eating/drinking OK, you could try to run hot water in a bathroom with the door closed in order to create steam, and then sit in there with him for 5-10 minutes to see if that helps with the congestion. If so, maybe multiple times a day.

Make sure you have all the records/details from his urgent care visit to share with the new vet.
Thanks for the advice
Luckily he is eating and has not stopped eating throughout. The eating sounds kind of funny since he is congested!
He had a liquid antibiotic for 7 days. I did notice he was less severe in two days or so. They also gave him some kind of antibiotic eye drops but I was not very consistent administering them.
Sounds like it should be safe to wait a few days for the new vet. Will try to get him some steam…

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure he's stressed, which only aggravates things. Do you have any calming agents for him such as Feliway or Comfort Zone diffusers that you can plug in? That may help some. I think as long as he's eating, drinking, and pottying normally, then you can wait for the vet visit. Continue the steam treatments if they are helping.

meowmixing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His PCR test came back for bordatella (kennel cough??) which apparently Clavamox is not very effective for so that may explain why symptoms persisted after antibiotics. Peculiar since he is an indoor cat and has not boarded anywhere.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many times they are exposed as kittens, at shelters, or they can get it from their mom. It may lay dormant until a stressful situation. What is the treatment plan?

meowmixing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Many times they are exposed as kittens, at shelters, or they can get it from their mom. It may lay dormant until a stressful situation. What is the treatment plan?
Oh wow he is 12 I did not realize it could have been there for a long time. The urgent care vet who did the test suggested doxycycline.

It is complicated because he just saw his new primary vet who thinks it could be something more potentially chronic because only his left nostril was affected by mucus etc. Tooth on that side looked inflamed too. They did an x ray and blood test as they may want to look inside his mouth and nose. They did not know about the bordatella when they did those tests.

He has had noticeable symptoms about 30 days despite bring on clavamox. Am waiting to hear from the new vet about all the tests. Not sure what my next move should be, just get new antibiotic, or pursue the other things…

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has he had vaccinations recently? That may have triggered a false positive.

meowmixing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has he had vaccinations recently? That may have triggered a false positive.
I finally dug up the vaccine record he got a few months ago - it was rabies, Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis (FHV-1), Feline Calicivirus (FCV), Feline Panleukopenia (FPL). Only bordatella vaccine could trigger a false positive for bordatella, I assume? The two vets also do not agree if he should get antibiotics for bordatella 🫠