Confusing behavior, constant meowing, in and out. Is he just picky or is it something else?

MiloTheBlackCat

Mama of Milo and Breeze
Adult Cat
Purraise
Milo will not stop meowing when we put him inside to eat his food! He sits at his food bowl, meowing and meowing, but when I fill it up he takes 1 bite and walks away meowing. I give him attention, still meowing. Sits by the door meowing, I let him back outside and less than a minute later he meows to come back inside. He doesn't want to lay on my bed anymore, he eats the dog's food while meowing, switches from eating his food and the dog's, still meowing. He's so affectionate and there isn't any other problem but this. I want to keep him inside but Mum and Dad don't. Is this just his personality, or is there something else? If there is, please don't hesitate to tell me; I see him as my own little boy and I want the best for him. If there's any more info you need please let me know.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may need to be checked over by the vet, constant meowing is not normal, he is trying to tell you something. Try some canned cat food and see if he will eat that, cats normally meow when they are hungry or want outside. Maybe he wants some company, does he still meow if you hold him?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is Milo and how long have you had him? If this is new behavior (and it sounds like it is), then I agree with the above poster - something is amiss and he is telling you about it. If he is eating less, than he used to, that is another sign of a potential health issue. So, a vet visit with full scope blood work might be in order to check for possible underlying conditions.

As far as having him inside more, would your parents be amenable to letting you keep him in your room with you for certain time periods over the course of the day/night?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know I just thought of something, if he is getting older, around 6 months or more, he could be gettingf his hormones in full swing and turning into a tom cat. In heat females meow constantly too. If he is not already, get him neutered or he will start spraying and get even more annoying. They always do.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MiloTheBlackCat

Mama of Milo and Breeze
Adult Cat
Purraise
He may need to be checked over by the vet, constant meowing is not normal, he is trying to tell you something. Try some canned cat food and see if he will eat that, cats normally meow when they are hungry or want outside. Maybe he wants some company, does he still meow if you hold him?
No, he doesn't meow if I hold him, but he prefers to not be held unless he's fully wrapped in a blanket... He loves canned cat food, and they're cheap wherever I find them, so I'll get Dad to buy that when he goes to PetSmart for our other animals.

MiloTheBlackCat

Mama of Milo and Breeze
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. How old is Milo and how long have you had him? If this is new behavior (and it sounds like it is), then I agree with the above poster - something is amiss and he is telling you about it. If he is eating less, than he used to, that is another sign of a potential health issue. So, a vet visit with full scope blood work might be in order to check for possible underlying conditions.

As far as having him inside more, would your parents be amenable to letting you keep him in your room with you for certain time periods over the course of the day/night?
We've had Milo for almost a year. We aren't sure about his age (He came from a friend) but we believe he is 2 years old. (Human years). He used to meow a decent amount, but this is more than he used to. There is times he'll want to eat too much, and there is opposite times.

MiloTheBlackCat

Mama of Milo and Breeze
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know I just thought of something, if he is getting older, around 6 months or more, he could be gettingf his hormones in full swing and turning into a tom cat. In heat females meow constantly too. If he is not already, get him neutered or he will start spraying and get even more annoying. They always do.....
His previous owner said he was neutered, and he hasn't sprayed (Inside he hasn't, I'm not sure about outside)

MiloTheBlackCat

Mama of Milo and Breeze
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, maybe it was a phase? He's eating much more now and meowing his normal amount. Now the thing I'm worried about is how to get him to stop eating the dog's food, he eats too much now. I fed him a can of tuna this morning outside, then let him inside cause it was starting to rain; he goes immediately to eat the dog's food and he doesn't listen when we say stop and pull him away.