Confused In Transitioning My Kitten

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I was recently surprised by my boyfriend with a kitten! According to the SPCA she's around 10 weeks old now. She was on Science Diet kitten food and I switched her over to Omega Wellness Kitten kibble and their wet food. She has to problem switching and would leave any science diet in the bowl. I want to eventually get her on an all wet/raw diet. I've purchased the Natures Variety Instinct Raw Chicken Bits she had some last night no problem. Also purchased Rad Cat chicken and a few Tiki Cat cans. So here are my questions:
1. Is it important to switch up raw proteins for kittens? I'm thinking maybe I should of gotten Rad Cat in a different protein.
2. Will it hurt her tummy to switch between diff raw products? Or switching between canned products?
3. What would be your top recommended brands for wet/raw kitten foods?
4. How much should she be eating? She went to the vet last week and weighed 2.1 pounds. Does the ratio of wet to raw matter?

Sorry for al the questions. I've been so overwhelmed with all this and want to make sure she gets everything she needs and I'm not inadvertently creating a picky eater!any help is welcome!!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently fed a little abandoned kitten from 5 weeks to 8.5 weeks when I sent him off for adoption. While with me, he ate quite a lot of raw food: beef, chicken, turkey, pork mixes. I also offered him kibble and canned food, assuming his adopters probably wouldn't be feeding him raw. ....but he really, really liked the raw food.

So, yes, I think the more food variety you can offer her at a young age, the less picky she will be when she gets older. Cats' taste buds are fairly "set" by 6 months old. They may be reluctant to try anything they didn't taste before that age.

That wee little kitten ate as much food as an adult, and on occasion he ate as much food as my 25 pound Corgi dog. He ate a lot of .8 to 1 ounce meals, 5-8 ounces total per day.

Give your precious kitten all the food she wants to eat.

...and Congratulations. She is beautiful! :lovecat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm maybe I can take back the Rad Cat to get something other then chicken. I think I actually haven't been giving her enough because I was scared of her reaction to raw. No diarrhea but soft stools and stinky.

The BF did very well picking her out. Very playful and cuddly only when she's sleepy.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...when she's sleepy. :flail: That kitten I took care of would launch himself from 2 feet away onto my thigh. Apparently he thought I was a tree when standing. When sitting with him on my lap, my hands, hair, eyeglasses, clothing, etc were all "chew toys".

Enjoy her kitten antics. She'll grow up really fast. :catrub:

The stinky poops are most likely from the canned food. Raw food poops should be firm and almost odorless.

If you have an on-going issue with soft, stinky poo, she may need a wormer. Just a thought.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cats&Coffee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's already getting bigger :( I've been trying to give some of the Natures Variety Instinct Raw with her wet food she tolerates it but still loves the wellness kitten wet food. It seems like most foods for kittens are chicken! Gonna defrost the RadCat today and try some of that!