Confused/Concerned... New Kitten...

alphonse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay... I just got a new Kitten and Alphonse is completely cool with him and Kamina (Ca-Mee-Nah) loves her right back but she's always had a licking problem where she grooms people/animals and now that there is a new kitten she just grooms him... But recently while grooming him, if he tries to move she will grip her jaw around his jugular and I have to yell at her because he starts crying... I'm just wondering if my kitten is safe with Alphonse grooming him like this...

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Alphonse may not be able to stop himself - that kitten may be bringing out such overwhelming feelings while he grooms.

I'd just keep a eye on them, especially during grooming sessions.  Alphonse sounds like a sweet kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alphonse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's a very sweet baby girl and I do love her I just worry about Kamina being injured. He's always asleep next to me so when Alphonse jumps up to start grooming him it's pretty simple to watch them. My kitten doesn't leave my side much, he's pretty attached to me. Thank you for your help too. 

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
this happens between my cats all the time. I have one boy and one girl kitty.

They'll be grooming each other, and then it slowly turns into play fighting.

Example, Jet (my female) will go upto Charlie (the male) and start grooming his neck and head, and he'll allow it, then after like literally 10 seconds he tries to reciprocate, but then Jet, just goes for his neck, she bites, and they start play fighting and she'll yowl.

I think its grooming that's turned into play fighting. nothing to worry about.

just keep an eye on them. and make sure things don't get too rough. if it does, then you should separate them/intervene.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alphonse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She stopped being so rough with the little guy, They do play more now though.