Confused About Tractor Supply Equine Pine Pellets As Litter

typix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah that's likely what I will end up doing. At the end of the day, 2 or 3 regular boxes is a million times better than scooping 8 clumping litter boxes! They will use the boxes that are mixed, but as soon as the box gets heavy on the pellet side, I'll find poop next to the box. And it is only a few of the cats because most of the breeze boxes do have poop in them. Some of mine are so finicky lol. It is a really slow process that's for sure. But I'd say it's still worth it. So much less scooping, no odor, and way less tracking!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

czari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 7 cats and most of mine have transitioned over to this system. But a few don't like to poop in the pine pellets, so they are going next to it. I have a few boxes still mixed with the old clumping litter and they will poop in there until it's full and then they refuse to use the breeze boxes with the pellets. Any ideas? I will say that I haven't gotten the Tractor Supply pellets yet. My store has been sold out for weeks so I've been using Feline Pine pellets. Maybe they don't like this type of pellet.:dunno:
The video by the woman who runs a cattery where I first saw this system recommends transitioning slowly, ie. mixing a small amount of the Tractor Supply pine pellets into the regular litter boxes and gradually adding more. You may have already tried slow transitioning but, if not, might want to give that a try.

I've been using this system now for a year for two cats - one close to 18 years old who is thin and very delicate and a three-year old very large cat I rescued from the neighborhood. I didn't do slow transitioning and was fortunate both cats immediately used the pellets. My older cat jumps in the box, does whatever, and jumps out, meaning she doesn't cover the poop. It may be because her little paws are small for the pellets. I just go in once or twice a day and, after scooping out the poop, I use the scooper to move the pellets around and make sure the sawdust goes through the grates.

typix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its been about a month of slow transition. I've tried the side-by-side boxes, and then mixing the two litters. It seems like when it's just the pellets by themselves, a few of the cats are just turned off by it. But maybe I'll go back to square one and start with mostly clay litter and then little by little add the pellets.

Are all the pine pellet litters this same consistency? Obviously, I can't do pine shavings, but are there any other type of pine litter that I could use with the Breeze box that might be softer on their paws, or should I just keep trying to go slow? I still can't get the Tractor Supply pine pellets because they never have it in stock.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i find misting a little water on the pine pellets soften them up just a little so its no so hard under the paws. sometimes my cat doesn’t seem too fond of the super shiny hard pellets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

czari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its been about a month of slow transition. I've tried the side-by-side boxes, and then mixing the two litters. It seems like when it's just the pellets by themselves, a few of the cats are just turned off by it. But maybe I'll go back to square one and start with mostly clay litter and then little by little add the pellets.

Are all the pine pellet litters this same consistency? Obviously, I can't do pine shavings, but are there any other type of pine litter that I could use with the Breeze box that might be softer on their paws, or should I just keep trying to go slow? I still can't get the Tractor Supply pine pellets because they never have it in stock.
I don't know about the brand of pine pellets you are using but the ones I purchase from Tractor Supply are fairly uniform. My little girl, barely 8 lb. and 15 years old is very thin and delicate. She just jumps in the box, does her thing and jumps out without covering anything and it may be due to the texture/size of the pellets. On the other hand, my young "Big Boy" at around 10 lbs. really gets energetic with digging the pellets. Even using the covered Breeze Box there are some pellets strewn out of the box. :) Cats can be so different in their habits. Maybe over time your cats will get used to the different litter texture.

Where are you trying to get the Tractor Supply pine pellets that are never in stock? There is a Tractor Supply store in my town but if there isn't where you live the 40 lb. bag of the pine pellets can be ordered from their website as well. Also, when I spoke to the local supplier of the pine pellets sold at the Tractor Supply in my area, he said that they are also the supplier for the Exquisicat Naturals Pine cat litter sold at Petsmart and that litter is identical to the Tractor Supply pine pellets. It can be purchased online as well.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I thought I would join in the conversation since I just picked up my first bags of pine pellets. I am really grateful to see this conversation because it wasn't until I got home that it dawned on me the bags weren't marked with "kiln dried". I hit the internet right away and was sent here, of course!!! where else would anyone go for a cat question??
Anyway, my plan is to try and transition everyone (still about 50 cats in total) over to the pellets. I am going to start by mixing the pellets in with the clumping litter and gradually decrease the clumping litter. I will leave a few boxes with just clumping and see what happens. I want to make the transition for the same reason as everyone else. The clumping cost has gone up and it is just too expensive. If the pellets work, it will be fantastic.
I will come back and let you know what happens.

Jazzbea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been using TS pellets for years. Very economical when you have six cats. My biggest issue is finding a box that allows the dust to fall to the bottom immediately after they do their business. Poop is super easy to clean, but I have Maine Coons, and not only are they big and tend to be messy, but they are also long-haired, and the dust sticks to their coat and paws. Much of the dust gets tracked through my house. I have not found a single litter mat that catches and prevents tracking. If soiled sawdust fell into a pan, I would have cleaner kitties and floors.

One would think Tractor Supply would have invented an industrial-sized litter system by now. Many breeders use this type of litter. I found some Youtube videos on DIY boxes, but you have to drill a thousand holes, which it uber time-consuming. I would have to have 7-8 boxes. Forget that.

Does anyone know of a huge box that will accommodate my beast sized coons with a design that allows the dust to drop to a catch pan immediately?

Thank you.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is my first follow up to transitioning to the pine pellets from clumping litter. I have 20 cat litter boxes for the 50 feral cats. Some of the ferals are strictly outdoor and head to the hills to relieve themselves. The remaining use either the enclosed shelter litter boxes or the litter boxes inside the house.

Here is how I started the switching process. I put pellets in the ends and far corners of about 1/2 of the litter boxes and left the other boxes with just clumping litter in them. It took a week or so before anyone would use the boxes with the pine pellets in them. After about the second week, some of the boxes with the pellets in them were being used quite regularly. When I would clean the boxes I would clean as usual picking up the pine dust that was wrapped around urine clumps just the way I would do it with clumping litter. But, I would then lightly spread some of the pellets around the entire box (so the cats would feel the pellets if they used the box) and still be able to scruff the litter the same way as always. I still push most of the pellets to the sides and back. By the 3rd week (this week) the boxes with pellets have pellets scattered all through the litter (while the litter is still the main ingredient), and those are being well used.

The litter boxes with just litter are being heavily used but obviously some are making the transition to partial pellets. I think this process will take probably another 3 or 4 weeks before I can confidently put pellets in all of the boxes. I think it will take more time after that to transition to fully using the pellets. Someone did poop on the floor two days in a row, probably out of protest but thankfully, it stopped.

I have worried and researched about finding a solution for allowing the pine dust created when the cats urinate on the pellets to drop to a container below, but right now I have given up worrying about that problem. I have simply been cleaning the litter boxes the same way I always have and treating the pellets the same way I would clumping litter. My reason for wanting to make the switch was mainly a cost factor. I find that the pine dust that is left behind when cleaning is not nearly as smelly as the clumping litter, so I am really happy with simply using the pellets just the way I use the clumping litter because I am saving a whole bunch!!! If I end up having to have a portion of the litter be clumping litter with the rest pellets that will still be a huge saving for me. And, it seems so much cleaner this way and there seems to be less smell.

Obviously, I am taking this really slowly, but I would rather do that than have accidents. The clumping litter I use is $8+ for 20 pounds and the pellets are $6+ for 40 pounds.so its a great savings. By the way, I am also starting to use different size litter boxes. I have always used the really big storage tubs for litter but I got an under-bed storage container no long ago because I had some youngsters and a couple of old cats that were having trouble getting in the big tall containers. The under-bed ones measure 34.1/2 x 16" x 5 1/2" and I think everyone really likes the size. They can get in and really turn around, and miss any wet spots, etc if they want. So far the overspill from exuberant scuffing hasn't been a problem.

I will come back in a few weeks to update you. If you have any questions, please just ask. I am really happy with the change and I will for sure keep going down this path.

zookeeper15133

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I've used Tractor Supply pine pellets for several years now. I have 10 cats and 12 litter boxes. Spending $30 on each Breeze box is way out of my budget. I use a Sift Away tray (They come 3 to a pack, supposed to be used alone. You can find them at discount stores for about $5. I got a set yesterday at Burlington, the last set I got was from Ollies.), put it inside a Petmate large litter box ($7.50 @ chewy) . I also have a smaller box to put the newly cleaned litter in. Then I use a dustpan to scoop the litter out of the used litter boxes and shake to sift. I just go around the house doing all the pans. Some need done every other day others only need done once a week. All the dust goes into the bottom box, The solids go into a bag and go into the garbage, the saw dust goes over the hill into the mulch pile.

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is a company that makes a Box that is designed for Pine Pellets. Am ordering 2 of them today. All Pine Litter Box
I decided not to order this box, because it isn't very large. Instead I ordered a Large
So Phresh Lift-to-Sift Cat Litter Pan. This works very well. The top piece in this set, if inverted and placed under the sifting tray, gives additional height to the sifting tray above the tray underneath, for the used litter sawdust to fall into.

So Phresh Lift-to-Sift Cat Litter Pan, 22.5" L X 17.25" W X 1

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As I mentioned in post above, the only concern I had about the Pine Litter Box was it's size. The rescue where I am adopting my cat, said the cat will probably be around 10 pounds when fully grown. I wasn't sure if that box would be big enough for a cat that size, so I went with a much larger box. It's been 2 decades since I have had a cat, so still confused on some issues.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree a bigger option in the all pine box would be great. Weighed my two boys (siblings) last night 9lbs and 11 lbs I’m sure what you ordered will be good too. Using pellets makes litter box chores so much easier and you can’t beat the price Let is know how it goes

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Been using the Pine pellets now with the So Fresh l:ift to sift Large litter box, for 2 months now, and i have had zero problems. I scoop the solid waste out every morning and I purchased a scoop designed to use with the Pine Pellets from here . Wide Slot Scoop | mysite Unfortunately, the company has decided to only sell the scooper with the large slots if you buy one of his litter boxes, which I feel are too small. I emailed him about the possibility of coming out with a larger litter box for the pine pellets, , but never got a reply, which is kind of disappointing.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is what I use too I totally agree they need to make a larger box and why in the world you can’t purchase a separate scooper is ridiculous I will email them also We can’t be the only people that have these issues Maybe enough people will make requests to prompt some action

J. A. Vann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have used many different types of cat litter over the years & my cats nor I have never had a single problem. Most they liked & the only one they didn’t was Yesterdays News.
Just recently a friend told me about the Victorian Cattery lady & the pine litter she uses & my friend sent me the link to her YouTube video!
Honestly, I was astounded! First she whined about people, apparently, calling “her”, ideas & “her” product...as if she invented the Tractor Supply Equine Bedding just for cats...& a reworked Breeze litter box manufactured by Tidy Cats as hers as well & was so upset that “others dared” to call her “copywrited” items there’s & the fact that was plagiarism!
Then she began her so called research spiel!
I personally felt that she really didn’t know much about the Equine Bedding that she was touting as so wonderful!
What I did find out is that she is not a very nice or knowledgeable person! She gives 5he run around when asked a specific question! She is no help when one asks her for help, she doesn’t want to be bothered!
Also what really horrified & made me think really less of her is this...
She made a statement on the fact that all commercial cat litters were toxic & that her choice was the only safe litter...which the Equine bedding never was or is approved for cat use! Here is an exact quote from her video & im surprised no one caught this abomination! First she stated that all cat litters, “Have Carcinogenic's in them, that cause Cancer!” Really lady!? Here’s the scary one...” A lot of people who switched to the pine litter have been asking me what they should do with their old litter that they have. I suggest they donate the litter to cat rescues! Wait! What? Is this woman for real? Donate the, as she states, “the toxic litter that has carcinogenic’s in them that cause Cancer,”. That’s right...give it to the rescues! Not her pedigrees! That’s just not right in so many ways! I even asked her about that statement! She deleted it off her YouTube site & refused to answer me! My personal opinion of this lady...she either has no clue & she’s just pushing something, “she” loves. Or she’s just a snob that’s to good to explain her actions, no matter how bad she made herself look!
I’m going to stick with the cat litters that I’ve always used! If this Equine Pine Bedding was great to use on cats, I think it should be stated on the bag! Period! It also should be stated on the bag whether or not it is Kiln dried! Period! That way we all can be sure it’s not going to hurt our precious cats!

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Been using pine pellets for a few months, and wouldn't use anything else. Anyone that is concerned about getting the pellets from Tractor Supply, just buy the Pellets they sell at Petsmart. Few dollars more,but when I factored in the travel expenses to go to Tractor Supply, the closer to me Petsmart wound up costing me about the same , and I can buy them anytime I am near Petsmart. ExquisiCat Naturals Pine Cat Litter | cat Litter | PetSmart