Confused About Tractor Supply Equine Pine Pellets As Litter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

czari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I called this morning and the person only asked for the sku#. I said you don't need the vendor number? And she said no just the sku? Then she looked up the sku and said oh yes the Equine Pine Pellets...are you calling to ask if it's kiln dried? I said yes. She said yes, these are kiln dried. Should I call back and ask for them for the manufacturer's contact info?
It sounds like Tractor Supply is getting a lot of these calls. When I purchased the pellets at Tractor Supply all I had heard in the video by the woman who owns the cattery was to "make sure it's kiln dried." Iirc, it wasn't until I pursued the topic in responses that she gave the details about the manufacturer's number, etc. I didn't see anything on the bag of pellets that said it was kiln dried and asked the TS employee. She asked what I would be using it for; when I told her she said, "Another woman buys this as cat litter and has purchased it from us many times so I assume it's safe."

Based on the overall conversation about this topic, it sounds like all of TS pellets are either kiln or rotary dried. Since I experienced having to call the TS # twice - once to be told they didn't see a mfr. # listed and that they were a call center for many companies and didn't have specific info on the pellets; then a second time to immediately be given the name/# of the manufacturer - it wouldn't hurt to call again. When I called the second time I said, "I'm calling for the name & number of the manufacturer of TS equine pine pellets." The first time I posed it as a question. If you get the same response you could ask if they are employees of TS and, if not and they are a call center, say that is why you want the #. I was so confused over this whole thing as my first post indicates...lol.

As another testimonial - I've now run out of the TS pellets; will go in the next few days so, in the meantime, I left the handful of pellets I had left in the two Breeze boxes and set out a third litter box and put the litter I had been using in it (World's Best). I observed my male cat walk past that box and go into his covered Breeze box. I felt good that he chose the pellets. :)

Thank you so much for the info on the SoPhresh box and where to buy it.

mbs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like Tractor Supply is getting a lot of these calls. When I purchased the pellets at Tractor Supply all I had heard in the video by the woman who owns the cattery was to "make sure it's kiln dried." Iirc, it wasn't until I pursued the topic in responses that she gave the details about the manufacturer's number, etc. I didn't see anything on the bag of pellets that said it was kiln dried and asked the TS employee. She asked what I would be using it for; when I told her she said, "Another woman buys this as cat litter and has purchased it from us many times so I assume it's safe."

Based on the overall conversation about this topic, it sounds like all of TS pellets are either kiln or rotary dried. Since I experienced having to call the TS # twice - once to be told they didn't see a mfr. # listed and that they were a call center for many companies and didn't have specific info on the pellets; then a second time to immediately be given the name/# of the manufacturer - it wouldn't hurt to call again. When I called the second time I said, "I'm calling for the name & number of the manufacturer of TS equine pine pellets." The first time I posed it as a question. If you get the same response you could ask if they are employees of TS and, if not and they are a call center, say that is why you want the #. I was so confused over this whole thing as my first post indicates...lol.

As another testimonial - I've now run out of the TS pellets; will go in the next few days so, in the meantime, I left the handful of pellets I had left in the two Breeze boxes and set out a third litter box and put the litter I had been using in it (World's Best). I observed my male cat walk past that box and go into his covered Breeze box. I felt good that he chose the pellets. :)

Thank you so much for the info on the SoPhresh box and where to buy it.
Wonderful that your cat chose the pellets! I can't wait to try it when my bag is kiln dry confirmed :)

Called the call center again and gave them the vendor number. They gave me Nature's Earth, which was the wrong vendor and an error in their system according to Nature's Earth. I called the call center back and got a different response about it being "only for horses and not recommended for animals not listed on the package, but it is kiln dried to 5-10% pine oil "(the same response that the TS website states). I responded by saying that on the package it says for horses and small animals and has pictures of a rabbit and cat on the front. She didn't know what to say because of course, it's a call center and she's just reading the notes for the product back to me. I said that's why I am asking for the Manufacturer's name and phone number...She said there isn't one listed for the vendor number on my bag? So basically, she's emailing her Supervisor to see if there is a Manufacturer...TBD. Wondering if there's only a handful of vendors in the US and if we can start a list of ones that are good to go! What if the next bag has a different vendor number, do you go through the same thing over again with the call center? Trying do my due diligence, but it's probably fine based on all the positive feedback :)

czari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wonderful that your cat chose the pellets! I can't wait to try it when my bag is kiln dry confirmed :)

Called the call center again and gave them the vendor number. They gave me Nature's Earth, which was the wrong vendor and an error in their system according to Nature's Earth. I called the call center back and got a different response about it being "only for horses and not recommended for animals not listed on the package, but it is kiln dried to 5-10% pine oil "(the same response that the TS website states). I responded by saying that on the package it says for horses and small animals and has pictures of a rabbit and cat on the front. She didn't know what to say because of course, it's a call center and she's just reading the notes for the product back to me. I said that's why I am asking for the Manufacturer's name and phone number...She said there isn't one listed for the vendor number on my bag? So basically, she's emailing her Supervisor to see if there is a Manufacturer...TBD. Wondering if there's only a handful of vendors in the US and if we can start a list of ones that are good to go! What if the next bag has a different vendor number, do you go through the same thing over again with the call center? Trying do my due diligence, but it's probably fine based on all the positive feedback :)
I went to TS this morning and purchased two backs of the pine pellets - figured that will last until at least Spring. :) When I checked out the cashier asked if I was using it for cat litter. When I said yes she responded that a lot of people are doing that; it may take awhile for your cat to transition over but then it should work well. (Sounded like this lady may be using it for her cats or at least is knowledgeable about the product.)

I'm looking at the bag I have now and notice that it says "Recommended for use with all animals and pets" on the back. I don't think the bag I purchased last time said that on it. The front has a photo of a horse's head but no rabbits nor cats. The manufacturer's number was tricky for me to find - initially I'd written down the SKU# and the barcode number. After one of my posts to the cattery woman I discovered that the manufacturer # is on the back of the bag underneath the area that says "Distributed by:" Under that on my bag is the following:
TRACTOR SUPPLY COMPANY
200 POWELL PLACE
BRENTWOOD, TN 37027
501529 <------- That's the mfg. # I provided to the TS call center. I'm in Central Florida so you'll have a different number (unless you're in this area as well.)

Underneath the mfg # it says: "For customer support:" then has the number and website below that. IMO, the mfg.# is hard to determine since it's just a random number amongst a lot of other info. It's to the right of the barcode. You may very well have given the correct number but just wanted to include this info in case or for anyone else who comes across this thread with questions.

I'm about 95% sure, based on all the various feedback I've received personally (including employees at TS), and what I've seen in various YouTube vids as well as this site that all TS Equine Pine Pellets are dried. The photos you described on your bag and the wording on mine that it's safe for all animals is a good indication but, if you're like me, I wanted to track it down...lol.

mbs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went to TS this morning and purchased two backs of the pine pellets - figured that will last until at least Spring. :) When I checked out the cashier asked if I was using it for cat litter. When I said yes she responded that a lot of people are doing that; it may take awhile for your cat to transition over but then it should work well. (Sounded like this lady may be using it for her cats or at least is knowledgeable about the product.)

I'm looking at the bag I have now and notice that it says "Recommended for use with all animals and pets" on the back. I don't think the bag I purchased last time said that on it. The front has a photo of a horse's head but no rabbits nor cats. The manufacturer's number was tricky for me to find - initially I'd written down the SKU# and the barcode number. After one of my posts to the cattery woman I discovered that the manufacturer # is on the back of the bag underneath the area that says "Distributed by:" Under that on my bag is the following:
TRACTOR SUPPLY COMPANY
200 POWELL PLACE
BRENTWOOD, TN 37027
501529 <------- That's the mfg. # I provided to the TS call center. I'm in Central Florida so you'll have a different number (unless you're in this area as well.)

Underneath the mfg # it says: "For customer support:" then has the number and website below that. IMO, the mfg.# is hard to determine since it's just a random number amongst a lot of other info. It's to the right of the barcode. You may very well have given the correct number but just wanted to include this info in case or for anyone else who comes across this thread with questions.

I'm about 95% sure, based on all the various feedback I've received personally (including employees at TS), and what I've seen in various YouTube vids as well as this site that all TS Equine Pine Pellets are dried. The photos you described on your bag and the wording on mine that it's safe for all animals is a good indication but, if you're like me, I wanted to track it down...lol.
I'm still awaiting the manufacturer name and phone number from customer service, but my vendor # is 501925. They called me back and left a message saying they "had info on the manufacturer". Not sure why they didn't just say the name and number on the voicemail, but I will call Monday morning to get the "info". Again, I think it might be just fine, but I am a cautious person when it comes to my cats :) Thanks and I am glad it's working out great for you!

purrsnickety

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say that I really love the system! So glad you finally got your answer. The only other insight I had into the Tractor Supply brand before I found my source was that they outsource theirs and stamps their TS brand on the bags and why it wasn’t hard for me to find it nearby—wondering if it all doesn’t just come from the same place. I order online and have mine delivered to the local True Value. They are indeed kiln dried and labeled in front of the bag, but different brand/company.

czari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say that I really love the system! So glad you finally got your answer. The only other insight I had into the Tractor Supply brand before I found my source was that they outsource theirs and stamps their TS brand on the bags and why it wasn’t hard for me to find it nearby—wondering if it all doesn’t just come from the same place. I order online and have mine delivered to the local True Value. They are indeed kiln dried and labeled in front of the bag, but different brand/company.
I agree - this system is AMAZING! Re: TS outsourcing - there is a TS supply store in my town but the manufacturer is about two hours away. I got the impression there are multiple manufacturers which is why it was encouraged to call them and not just TS.

czari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm still awaiting the manufacturer name and phone number from customer service, but my vendor # is 501925. They called me back and left a message saying they "had info on the manufacturer". Not sure why they didn't just say the name and number on the voicemail, but I will call Monday morning to get the "info". Again, I think it might be just fine, but I am a cautious person when it comes to my cats :) Thanks and I am glad it's working out great for you!
Hi mbs!
Just wanted to check in with you to see if you got everything re: the TS pellets squared away. Thank you again for letting me know the large size SoFresh litter boxes were large enough. I'm now using them with the system and it makes a HUGE difference in how often I need to change the litter. :)

Koco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the pellets are safe if they are kiln dried or rotary dried? I’m confused as to if I should but them and save money or just buy the pellets marked for cat litter and are more expensive.

czari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Koco - if you're referring to the Tractor Supply equine pine pellets, based on the info I received from a representative of the company who manufactures those sold in my area, yes they are safe if they're kiln or rotary dried. The representative also said that a cat litter called "Exquisicat Naturals" which is sold by PetSmart is also manufactured by their company and are the identical pellets used in the TS equine pine pellet bags.

Koco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Koco - if you're referring to the Tractor Supply equine pine pellets, based on the info I received from a representative of the company who manufactures those sold in my area, yes they are safe if they're kiln or rotary dried. The representative also said that a cat litter called "Exquisicat Naturals" which is sold by PetSmart is also manufactured by their company and are the identical pellets used in the TS equine pine pellet bags.
Yes I was referring to the tractor supply pellets thanks for responding just want to be safe !

czari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hear ya! I had the first bag of TS pellets sitting in the trunk of my car for about a month until I could confirm if they were safe to use.

CatMomSam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
New to the site but I came across the same YouTube video from the same cattery woman. I wanted to clarify a few things and share my own findings.

First, she mentions GMO corn not because it is GMO but due to the fact that GMOs tend to be bred to withstand a variety of pesticides. She only means to caution that using corn will run that risk which she is unwilling to do for her kitties.

Second, on the kiln dried aspect of the pine pellets and the dangers of pine oils for kitties. According to Litter Pellets both kiln and rotary drying use temperatures that will get rid of phenols. Thus, there's no reason to go hunt down a manufacturer as the equine pellets will not contain any harmful oils.

Third, during my research into this system that she suggested (breeze box on top of a petmate bin or so phresh bin and potty pads) I found the Pet Mate 42036 Arm & Hammer Large Sifting Litter Pan
unlike her system which consists of the breeze system which costs $32.99 + tax minus 10% off for in-store pick up, the petmate pan $7.49 or the so phresh pan $8.99 for one time costs and potty pads $15 and pine pellets $6 for recurring costs.

I plan on using the petmate sifter pan $16.83 with two bricks inside the bottom tray and a standard 15 gallon Costco trash bag over that and the sifter pan on top using the equine pine pellets. Essentially, this version will save me even more money comparatively. If everything goes smoothly I might consider making a video about my experience. For now, I hope I've helped ease some fears and saved other cat people money.

rattlebugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the image on the TS website:
upload_2019-2-23_11-53-50.png

"it is meant as horse bedding and they do not recommend it for any other use and take no responsibility if the purchaser uses it for something else.

rattlebugs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The image on their website of this product does show a rabbit and a cat as well as a horse.

"it is meant as horse bedding and they do not recommend it for any other use and take no responsibility if the purchaser uses it for something else.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

RaeLyna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We watched the same video and at the same time had a senior cat that was ill. We were concerned that it was the corn litter, although the vet disagreed. We still made the switch. We did purchase the breeze system, wished we had realized we could use the sifter pans, and a 40lb bag of pine pellets from Atwoods. That was August 2018 and we are just now having to purchase another bag. We clean it twice a week and add pellets as needed. We also 'deep clean' it once or twice a month, meaning we take it completely apart and wash everything then add fresh pellets. We opted to use puppy poo bags for the solid waste, picking it up as soon as they are finished or when we see it. Overall we are very pleased with the system. There is almost no odor, except when it is time for the puppy pad to be changed and little problem with tracking. We have two cats and sometimes they get a bit overzealous when covering and send a pellet across the room, but it is easily picked up and thrown away.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have been buying Tractor Supply Pine Pellets for a few weeks now, the bags that have "for horses and small animals" graphic and text. This last time, they didn't have any with that graphic, but the packaging looked exactly the same except for that. We bought it, thinking it was just the previous packaging or something like that. We got it home and this is much different color than the other type. So I called Tractor Supply's HQ. The lady was very helpful. She called the store we bought it from and asked for the special sku # from both bags. When she got back on the phone after doing that, she said that they have one main supplier and a backup supplier. The bags not marked as "for horses and small animals" are from the backup supplier. She says these can be used as cat litter as well - the reason for the difference in color is because these are made from a different part of the tree.
I don't like the darker pellets as much; they are an ugly color and they don't seem to have that "house under construction" smell that the other does. They also don't seem to turn into sawdust as fast.

czari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great to see such good reports on the litter box system using the pine pellets. Still having great success with the system here, my cats like it, the cost of litter can't be beat so win-win-win!!

typix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great to see such good reports on the litter box system using the pine pellets. Still having great success with the system here, my cats like it, the cost of litter can't be beat so win-win-win!!
I have 7 cats and most of mine have transitioned over to this system. But a few don't like to poop in the pine pellets, so they are going next to it. I have a few boxes still mixed with the old clumping litter and they will poop in there until it's full and then they refuse to use the breeze boxes with the pellets. Any ideas? I will say that I haven't gotten the Tractor Supply pellets yet. My store has been sold out for weeks so I've been using Feline Pine pellets. Maybe they don't like this type of pellet.:dunno:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you provide a regular box or two for the ones who don't like the pellets, and maybe clean the other breeze boxes by hand more frequently?