Conflicting Behavior--any Ideas?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sir Eats-A-Lot is a fixed male about three years old. His "me" time is together with me while I'm on the "throne" in the bathroom. He usually flops down and rolls over for belly rubs. While he's there, he "air-kneads" but simultaneously flaps his tail aggressively on the floor. That's generally an aggressive sign, but the kneading is a calm sign. Anybody have an idea how to interpret his behavior?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A slapping tail does not necessarily mean "aggression", it can also be that he is becoming over stimulated, or getting ready to play. Does he ever try to bite you when this happens?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is on his back, so that is another sign of his behavior not being aggressive. Are you rubbing his belly when he swishes his tail and kneads the air? The kneading of the air is sometimes a reaction that you have hit a "AAAHH" spot that he loves. Have you ever seen a cat use one of their legs in a 'pumping the air' motion while being petted or? That is what I liken his kneading the air to be. And, the tail swishing is also a sign of happiness in some cats - similar to dogs. Feeby will swish her tail sometimes when being petted, I just know that is part of who she is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He does, but never in the bathroom. He's always a good kitty there. That's why I found it puzzling. He usually does this after the belly rubs are finished.

Do you think the tail flapping afterward indicates he's angry that the belly rubs have ended (I know I said "simultaneously" but the tail flaps usually occur at the end of the session)?

(tried to quote, but I'm not that good at it--the quote ended up after the post, and I tried to move it with no success)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think his tail movements are a sign he's excited and stimulated, not aggression, considering the description you gave. As FeebysOwner FeebysOwner mentioned, cats can and do swish their tail out of happiness as well.
And no, I don't think he's swishing his tail because he's mad that you stopped, but nobody really knows what goes on in the mind of a cat. ;) I personally think they are quietly planning to overtake and dominate the world! LOL! :lol: