Conflicted On Feeding Dry Food

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
No, right now the idea is IBD or her liver is really inflamed.
Has Mika's B-12 levels been checked? Trin has IBD, and he had very low B-12 (it's a separate blood test than the standard one). B-12 helps the body absorb the nutrients in the food, so if she is low in that, maybe she isn't getting enough from the food she eats?

We inject Trin monthly with B-12 and it helped him a lot with his diarrhea. His poops are great now! :poop:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has Mika's B-12 levels been checked? Trin has IBD, and he had very low B-12 (it's a separate blood test than the standard one). B-12 helps the body absorb the nutrients in the food, so if she is low in that, maybe she isn't getting enough from the food she eats?

We inject Trin monthly with B-12 and it helped him a lot with his diarrhea. His poops are great now! :poop:
I am not really sure. She did get blood work done but I don't know if they got some for a B-12 test or not. That may have to wait till next month though (darn college student budget). The blood work I know she's doing for sure is her chemistry to see where her liver and bilirubin levels are at. I find out tomorrow what those look like and I'll talk to her about the IBD and B-12 testing.

The only reason IBD is on the table is because she has been eating so well for so long and hasn't gained weight. Her poops are great and she's only thrown up with the dry food that one time. Mika is a mystery, man. :dunno:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On a side note -- she begged me for dinner early so I gave her a beef flavor. She's happily eating away on it so at least we have another flavor to add to the list of her rotation!

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I Don't think i said "Misinformation" about feeding fish. I said " Bad information" about feeding too much fish. meaning most places i read say to stay away from too much fish, some go so far as to say no fish. I don't know, i can understand the fear of mercury, and the other contamination. But there is fear with a lot of things we feed. And i have always wondered, why is fish oil so good for them, but fish is not??? And fish is so well loved, and a very good source of protein. I understand the logic behind the reasoning to stay away from a lot of fish, and i do try not to make it the main source of calories for anyone. Just not sure where i really stand on the feed fish, cat food, or dont feed fish, cat food. I never feed fresh or human fish, im not a fish girl :) i don't buy it for me, so cats don't have access

My little white girl has been a kibble cat for years, she will now eat some almo nature salmon and apple for breakfast every day. So, all kibble, or a wet fish meal once a day? :dunno: Rock, hard place.

I choose to feed her the salmon and apple for breakfast, i still offer other foods as well, but she will only eat the salmon. So, sorry, i don't really have very clear thoughts on it, i am conflicted. let them eat more dry food, or let them eat more wet food that is fish? :headscratch:
Thank you for your insight. I’m conflicted about it. My two definitely love fish but I’m too unsure to feed them. It’s nice to know another pet parents thoughts about the subject.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now I am trying to wean my cats to start eating RAWZ kibble food, regardless of what horrors pet nutritionists say about dry kibble food. I need to save money. Spending too much on my cats!!! And even this quality "kibble" food is expensive.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right now I am trying to wean my cats to start eating RAWZ kibble food, regardless of what horrors pet nutritionists say about dry kibble food. I need to save money. Spending too much on my cats!!! And even this quality "kibble" food is expensive.
My cats loved the Rawz kibble and it is expensive. My cats are eating Tiki Cat Born Carnivore Chicken & Fish Lau kibble. It's high protein and only 11%carbs. They really like it. On chewy.com you can get an 11.1 pound bag for $44.00. Check it out.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We can read all about it, listen to all the experts, and do the best we can. I know we all want to do the very best for our cats. We care. Im conflicted often about what i feed my 4. But at the end of the day it does come down to what our cats will eat, and what we can afford to feed them. And what ever that is, in my experience they thrive and we all survive. :heartshape:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you calculate the difference between Rawz kibbles and cheaper wet foods first to make sure you are really saving a lot of money?