Confessions of an American Cat Huffer

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Speck smells like sugar cookies.  
If Speck is bad, you can threaten to take him/her to the bakery. That's what I do when Bud is bad...except I threaten to take him to the local Chinese place lol.

After watching this video... what can I say? LOL  This guy is truly a cat huffing addict! 

I just realized how impatient I've become in the age of instant-everything, because in my head I was thinking, "36 seconds and this dude is STILL talking? Where's the cat huffing already?"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That guy is definitely a Huff Head.  Even so, he clearly REALLY loves his cats.  (Now if they could just get him to do some early spring cleaning!)

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hilarious thread.  When my girlfriend moved in some years ago, she brought with her an elderly, chocolate brown cat - appropriately named Mr. Bosco.  He had the most foul, god-awful breath you can imagine.  So she says, "don't worry, in a few weeks you will come to love Bosco's breath."  Uh huh.  Like that could happen.  Much to my amazement though, her prediction came true.  I grew to adore Mr. Bosco's stink.  And now that he has passed, I still recall the smell of his breath.  It smells like love.  
This is an awesome post.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That
One of the things I liked about the video was the cat's attitudes towards all the huffing.  It was like they were thinking:  "Oh, boy, Dad's at it again.  Just ignore him and maybe he'll go away.  Why does he have to embarrass  us like this?"  He was just this big goofy human bumbling around the place but they were the ones in charge!:lol3:
s what I thought, too!!! :)

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My old cat who is now across the rainbow bridge was an indoor outdoor cat. She always smelled amazing like dirt and springtime. My current cats still smell good, but definitely not as good.
Wow, having grown up in the rural South I know exactly what that smells like. 

You and your cat have as made me a little homesick.  :)

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have had many huffings of Maple this afternoon after her trip to the groomer. She stinks pretty!
I'm tempted to haul Thirteen's cat butt into the groomers!  I "Furminated" her this afternoon and there's fur EVERYWHERE! 

It's so odd.  She's a tuxedo and her fur appears so coarse and shiny, but the minute I take a comb to her it's like freakin' COTTON!  It's in the air, up my nose, in my eyes, all over the house . . . EVERYWHERE!  Plus, when I Furminate her a lot of fur is still just hanging on her.  I used to take a regular brush to her afterwards to get it off, but now I just roll a lint brush over her--one of those tape things--and it works great.  Today, though, I couldn't find my lint brush so I just used masking tape.  My partner saw me doing it and began yelling, "CAT ABUSE" at the top of his lungs. 

God only knows what the neighbors think of us.

I'm glad SOMEBODY had a pleasant afternoon huffing her cat cuz I sure didn't.  ; )

rpandcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somewhere north of Mexico and on the ocean.
Wait--what's "furminating"--do you mean brushing? is this some vacuum cat grooming device?

I huffed 3 times today at my kitty's request  ;) ... I can't help but comply when she does the flop-over or she's on her back and looks at me with round eyes.

she wanted a fourth time, but I had just washed my face. I tried petting her instead, but she got a little mad.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait--what's "furminating"--do you mean brushing? is this some vacuum cat grooming device?
Not a vacuum device, sadly, just a de-shedding brush. It's kind of like a dog stripping blade but set like an undercoat rake. You have to be careful about using it too often, because if there's no dead hair to remove it'll cut the healthy coat, but when there is dead fur to remove. . .well, it certainly furminates that hair ;) :lol3:.

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

When his cat licked himself after the guy huffed him, I couldn't help but think he (the guy) probably 'huffed' out instead of in and the cat ended up with 'residue' on his fur. Poor baby. Regardless, his house might be a bit cluttered, and he might be a touch loony, but all his cats look healthy and well raken care of. And there is no doubt - this guy LOVES his cats!
All true.  No doubt he's a loving caretaker, but something about this guy and the video, creeped me out.  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hilarious post, dude. I love the image of a group of adults, passing around a cat and taking deep sniffs.

I can't say I huff my cat, but when he "grooms" me I'm always impressed by the absence of smell, in other words how clean he keeps himself. Unfortunately, his bowel movements are horrific: I can clean the litter box twice a day, and still it looks like the aftermath of the Afghan war every time I lift the lid -- poop jutting out from the litter at odd angles, like bombed-out battle tanks half-buried under the desert sand; mountainous urine clumps that look like the Great Pyramids before British archaeologists spent decades unearthing them; litter shoveled against the sides of the box, like wind-swept sand dunes; more particulate matter hanging in the air than the Arabian desert after a dust storm.

So I went and bought Fresh Step litter, and now Bud smells like fresh laundry, which isn't good. I figure if I can smell it, to him it must be a hundred times more potent, and I don't want to make my little Buddy uncomfortable or sick from overly perfumed litter. I have to find a happy medium...
He wouldn't use it if it disturbed him.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I got our cats groomed today.  I don't do it often as it isn't cheap, especially for four cats, but three out of the four of them are long-haired and they just need baths sometimes!  They look fluffy and smell wonderful and I remembered this thread, so I had to post.  I've been huffing soft, clean cats all afternoon!  

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds lovely! Can't imagine taking mine to the groomer, luckily they don't need it. I do wipe them down with a damp cloth a few times a week and they do tend to smell cleaner afterwards.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I got our cats groomed today.  I don't do it often as it isn't cheap, especially for four cats, but three out of the four of them are long-haired and they just need baths sometimes!  They look fluffy and smell wonderful and I remembered this thread, so I had to post.  I've been huffing soft, clean cats all afternoon!  
I've been looking for a cat groomer near my home to no avail - everyone just does dogs.

Cocoa is long haired and while we do a good job keeping her neat and clean (she LOVES being groomed!) sometimes she could use a bit more help.  Last time at the vet they were nice enough to do a sanitary trim on her but it would be great if we could get her used to this at home.  Last week, poor thing had a clingon and as she ran downstairs, she kept scuttling on the steps, carpet, etc trying to get it off.  Took me a moment to realize what was happening.  Finally had my fiance hold her and I took a small scissor and matt cutter to her.  She's very docile so that went fairly well but (no pun intended!) I know some got left behind (not intended again LOL).  

Wiped her up with wet paper towels which pretty much worked but would have been better if we could have taken her somewhere to really deal with it.  We've bathed her but it was far too chilly and damp that day and I didn't want to have go through the entire process. Blow drying her takes forever! :D