cone of shame

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Look spooky is killing me it's a fight I'm loosing my mind
I mean she has won this battle but I'm not giving up any suggestions on keeping this cone on sorry to post alot just nervous about med giving and stuff

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you just using the cone by itself? What we did is thread the collar into the cone, it will have loops onto the cone. Put the collar through that and put the cone on then close the collar, we have the safety collars but they still seem fine and cant them off easily.

I found with most of my cats the first few hours they will be uncomfortable and not able to move around with it very easily, after a few days they will barely notice it.. but every cat is different... I found giving medicine can be more difficult, usually i put the cats body between my legs so they cant move around, raise their head up so its looking at you and and use your fingers to open her mouth on the sides and drop the pill into the middle of the back of her tongue they will usually swallow it but sometimes it comes out.. if the pill went in their throat just massage their throat lightly to help it down... I also like to encourage them to drink some water after this or if they dont you can use a small syringe to give some water depending how sick they are it might not want to drink water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
She figured out if she rubbed up against the bars she can take it off she's currently in a cage because she was trying to hide under my bed

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use a basic cone it looks like this, a lot of them that are fabric at the end while comfortable for the cat are so easy to take off their about useless if you ask me because it never stays on. if you look at the pic there are loops on the bottom i can fit the collar into here and they cant really take it off.
1580059123634.png

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
The cages covered in blankets to keep her warm sorry about the mess in my room I had to move everything around just for that cage

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, thats basically the same cone I have i see you have string on there its the same idea if you get the cone on and tie the string around to where it cant come off her head then she shouldnt be able to take it off just try not to put it too tight because it can restrict blood flow or air also thats why i dont like the string because its smaller width, but i prefer a collar but not a leather one, because the string material can stretch that you have and come off more easily. The ones i use is very similar to this picture, you can adjust it where its not too tight for her neck but also not loose for the cone to come off... You can check by placing your fingers under the collar once its on.

1580060025220.png

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Funny thing is that she'll get those off to somehow someway she gets those off I don't know how she'll like literally play with it and so she gets it off she's like Harry Houdini

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh like put a collar on then put the cone on tie the strings to the cone currently she's on sleeping so she's not really doing anything to hurt her stitches so I'm just going to leave her

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes basically dont use the string just use the collar into the holes instead of the string it seems more secure then the string... By the way I had the same problem as you with my cat Sticker, the stitches came out it was a whole ordeal we ended up keeping her at the vets longer then usual to avoid it happening again, funny enough though we never had an issue with the cone with her i think the vets put it on her already there and she got used to it.

One thing you can do is if she has a checkup or cleaning you need to do (they do that here) ask them for assistance with keeping the cone on, but for all my cats i just use the method with the collar.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help I'll try that she's quite right now due to the gabapentin

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think her and collar prob won't go through all the way

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It should be fine, did you give it a try before putting it on? Try closing the cone up and put the collar through... My kittens are only 7 months old and it worked for them but cant really tell the length of your collar.. Does the cone have a number size on it? The vet gave us a big one but made little sense with the size of our cat luckily we had a spare smaller one.

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So your collar adjustment should actually be a little bigger than mine but it could be the cone itself is bigger and spacing between the loops... Mine actually bends inwards on the one side when connected because the collar itself is small but this is what will help keep the cone on her.