Concerns about 100% wet food diet (Tiki Cat Succulent Chicken)

curial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a new cat mom with a rescued cat from a friend's chicken farm. Since she was apparently used to eating chicken I looked for good quality wet food that was 100% chicken and found recommendations for Tiki Cat Puka Puka Luau Succulent Chicken which has only chicken and is grain free. My cat loves it and eats it all right away and I've been feeding her 2 cans a day. The can recommends 2 cans per 7 lbs and my cat is about 6.5 lbs (she's a tiny adult cat) and doesn't beg me for additional food so I feel like it's the right amount for her. She has been to the vet and she is perfectly healthy and the vets don't think there's a problem with her weight or amount of food she eats.

My biggest concern is that the nutrition label on the cans say there is approximately 0% fiber. She poops but not a lot (this is another concern I'll mention in a bit) and her poops look like regular poop, not too hard and not too wet. Should I be supplementing her meal with fiber? I heard pumpkin is good for this but from what I can tell the food she eats is "complete" so I would assume that it has everything she needs in it already.

About the poop, she poops around 1 every 2-3 days. My friends told me their cats poop every day. The difference is that they eat 100% dry food with occasional wet food and mine eats 100% wet food with occasional dry snacks. Should I be concerned about my cat not pooping every day? I watch her when she poops and there's no straining or stress she just doesn't seem to poop that much. She does pee a lot though but I imagine it's due to her food being extremely high in water.

About peeing, she pees a lot but I have never seen her drink water from her bowl. I read that wild cats don't really need to drink water and just gets it from their food so I mix in 1-2 cans of water into her meals which she drinks up completely. I hope that's good enough.

One last concern I found searching through these forms is about fat content. I've read some posts saying that more fat is good, and some posts saying less is better. According to catfooddb the food I give her is 27% fat and 68% protein if I understand it correctly. Is this enough or do I need to change it up?

I have taken my cat to the vet to get her vaccinated, chipped, and spayed. She is a lovely cat and learned to use a cat box really fast and her behavior hasn't changed so there's no red flags telling me to take her to the vet again.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only thing I find concerning is the limited diet. Switch up brands, switch up proteins, don't get your cat stuck on one thing, if they ever have an issue with their food or they change the recipe, you'll likely have created a picky eater. I stay away from fish based products but otherwise vary brands and flavors constantly.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Healthy cats don't need fiber (their natural diet in the wild is not fibrous). If she's doing fine now, don't worry about it. If she develops constipation issues, then you can look into various options. But don't fix what ain't broken :).

Not pooping often is fine, too, that just means she's absorbing most of what she eats. As long as it's not hard/dry and she's not straining, it's fine.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give my two two different kinds of wet food to add some variety. Blue Buffalo Carnivora and Instinct. I replaced Blue Buffalo Wilderness with the Instinct.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would add variety too. Try feeding a couple different brands of wet food.
Some cats benefit from pumpkin but they don't necessarily have to poop every day (as long as the poops are healthy and no sign of constipation). Also, if you just recently switched her to all wet then her poops may be irregular for a while until she adjusts to the new diet. Giving a teaspoon or less of plain canned pumpkin every other day won't hurt though. Pumpkin is also a prebiotic so it has other benefits for the gut too.

Cats on all wet diets not drinking water are perfect (as my vet says). :)
Cats are descended from desert mammals and are physiologically built to retain moisture from their food, they rarely drink from a water hole. Your cat sounds like she is adequately hydrated.

The high amount of animal protein in her food is great. I would introduce another brand and you can choose something that is moderately high in fat. Rawz is a popular brand that would complement Tiki Cat well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

curial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I will look for alternative brands and proteins for some variety. I would like to stick with food that she would be able to find and eat (kill) on her own: so chickens, ducks, birds, small land animals. I don't really have any scientific basis for this but I just can't picture a cat taking down a pig or boar or cow :lol: so I'd like to avoid those proteins. I'm sure it's fine but it makes sense in my head.

As for switching her diet, well she used to live outdoors on a farm so I think canned wet food should be the closest thing to what she was used to :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

curial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it possible for my cat to get ill from drinking too much water? Like I said I add in 1-2 cans of warm water into her wet food because I was concerned that she wasn't drinking from her water bowl. When I feed her she first drinks up all the water before going in for the bits of chicken. I probably don't need to add so much water but I add some because it warms up the food and she doesn't seem to mind at all.

(By the way it's fascinating watching how she drinks water. I thought she would use her tongue like a spoon and lap it up into her mouth but it looks like she just pokes her tongue directly down and up???)

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I will look for alternative brands and proteins for some variety. I would like to stick with food that she would be able to find and eat (kill) on her own: so chickens, ducks, birds, small land animals. I don't really have any scientific basis for this but I just can't picture a cat taking down a pig or boar or cow :lol: so I'd like to avoid those proteins. I'm sure it's fine but it makes sense in my head.

As for switching her diet, well she used to live outdoors on a farm so I think canned wet food should be the closest thing to what she was used to :)
There are brands of wet food that provide variety of meat proteins. Just a matter of what you want to spend on it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it possible for my cat to get ill from drinking too much water? Like I said I add in 1-2 cans of warm water into her wet food because I was concerned that she wasn't drinking from her water bowl. When I feed her she first drinks up all the water before going in for the bits of chicken. I probably don't need to add so much water but I add some because it warms up the food and she doesn't seem to mind at all.

Just like in people, too much water in the body leads to water intoxication and necessary electrolytes and salt in the blood is too diluted. Two whole cans of water for one can of food is a bit much. Half a can is better and always have a bowl of fresh water available. You can check your cat's hydration level by pulling up the skin at the neck all the way and letting it go. If it snaps back down right away, the cat is hydrated. If it stays up and slowly sinks back down, the cat is dehydrated and a trip to the vet would be best so that fluids can be given if necessary.

Weruva and Soulistic are similar brands to Tiki Cat with a variety of meats.