Concerned Mom - Vaccine reaction/infection??

Jules89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My poor boy has not had a good week.

So Wednesday I noticed he was licking/biting at one of his paws and saw his main pad was swollen/has a small cut. (Background, he does have a skin/auto immune issue where during flare ups causes pad cracking, scabs on ears, rodent ulcers). I also noticed some crusties (vets wording lol) on one of his toes so, off to the vet on Friday.

The vet checked him over and said that it appeared the possible infection was healing and he felt that monitoring/keeping it clean was a good move without giving antibiotics and risking diarrhea. He was due for his vaccines so he got his rabies and the fh...one I can't remember the letters.

Yesterday, he was really lethargic, not eating a lot and a small bout of stinky, soft serve like diarreha. Ended up taking him to emerg vet, they said it was likely a bad reaction and gave him an anti nausea shot and probiotics, along with a can of the hills urgent care.

Today he seems a little more spry, he has eaten half a can of the urgent care food, along with a some of his usual C/D wet and I syringed some water into him to keep him hydrated but, he still doesn't seem like Mickey.

The emerg vet said if he's not showing any changes in a day or two to bring him back but I'm still a little worried. They said they can do blood work just to check things out in case.

Should I wait until our regular vet reopens tomorrow or go back to emerg?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Today he seems a little more spry, he has eaten half a can of the urgent care food, along with a some of his usual C/D wet and I syringed some water into him to keep him hydrated
I think in this case, do what your heart and mind guide you to do. Sometimes that is honestly the best course of action. I'm glad your baby has you :vibes::heartshape::crossfingers::redheartpump:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, maybe you can talk to your vet about spacing out the rabies and other shot(s) schedule? My boy is on a three year schedule and the vaccines are staggered such that he doesn't get both together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jules89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I may do that from now on, I feel so sorry for him.

I just called the emerg vet and they said they checked his paws and didn't seem concerned and he didn't have a fever as well. The impression I'm getting is its a bad reaction so may just monitor for today and if no change by tomorrow, I'll call his normal vet. The call calmed me down at least.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d also make sure he’s 100% healthy when administering vaccine, to me it’s weird that this vet has decided to do this despite possible infection or something else going on with him. Vaccine is really straining the immune system so any animal really should be 100% good to receive it. If he has auto immune issues and because of these current issues, I’d personally talk to a vet about skipping boosters all together (at least those that are not legally required) and just checking the antibodies, most of them are active for life anyway.
I hope he feels much better now, best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jules89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update! He's doing a lot better. Woke me up this morning for cuddles and appetite is has improved. Thanks for the support!