Concerned Cat Mom

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give Theo 2 pills a day and he does wonderful. He hates it but he knows if he takes his pills he gets treats right after. This has actually made a huge difference. I didn't do this at first and he would run from me and be very upset with getting his pills. Once i started giving him a reward for taking his pill he changed quite a bit. He also barely spits them out because he knows he won't get his treats till it is swallowed. I started out prying his mouth open at the jaw and it made him really upset. now i just tip his head back and pry his mouth open in front. much easier and less stressful for both of us. It's just a matter of listening to your cat and working to make things easiest as possible. He still reaches up and grabs my hand from time to time but he takes those pills like a pro.

Tachycardia can be dangerous in some ways. It doesn't always lead to the blood not getting to the extremities but it is the main reason hyperthyroid cats have kidney failure. The kidney's need the whoosh of the heart beat to flush out the toxins in the blood. When kitty's heart beats too fast the whoosh is not strong enough to flush the kidney's correctly. The other issues with tachycardia is of course heart failure. The heart is not filling with blood properly because of the fast heart beat and can cause the heart to be over worked.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I do have a question about the sneezing. I understand he could have an upper respiratory tract infection, but can it be allergies? Unfortunately, I am not able to get him into the veterinarian's office until Monday.
In cats allergies cause severe itching and overgrooming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessica 94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I am confused. Allergies are not the most probable cause of his sneezing?
Also, I know no one can say with certainty what is causing his limbs to twitch, but tachycardia?
What about arthritis?
He has been very clingy since the twitching started, but especially the past few days. He has also been sleeping on me a lot. He still has bouts of energy, and he is eating as well as drinking. However, we definitely have some changes in behavior. I noticed last night his stomach appears to really contract with his breathing. I am trying to explain the best way I can. Basically, it looks like he is using those muscles in 2nd gear when breathing. I hope this makes sense to you guys? Waiting until Monday is becoming tedious.

Jessica 94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been helping him with his back nails for the past year. As he does not groom them anymore. I started doing that, because his nails would catch on everything. I keep everything low for him, and he has steps to use to get on the couch, and bed. He started falling trying to get on anything that is not ground level.
So, he has not been officially diagnosed with arthritis, but I believe he has it to some degree.

I am trying to give you as much information as I can, so it might she'd some light on the current situation.
I checked his litter box this morning, and he has not had a bowel movement in 2 days.
Still drinking a lot of water, and eating normal.

Jessica 94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are three more things I add. He clearly seems to have more energy in the mornings, this is when he will play a bit.

He has been very jumpy lately, as the slightest sounds startle him.

He has started looking like he lost a little weight around a month ago. So, he appears to be a bit thin for his normal self.

I hope someone can help me put this together. At least in your experience, and knowledge.

Jessica 94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just 2 more signs. He never growls, but he is now if i pet his side, and his oads look different than the usual pink. They actually look grey? Really strange.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In cats allergies cause severe itching and overgrooming.

Allergies to pollen, ragweed, etc may cause itchy skin in some cats. So can food allergies / sensitivities.

Is the Hills Y/D canned or dry? Is there anything else you can feed for the IBD that wouldn't bother the hyperthyroid? IBD / tummy issue cats are often sensitive to chicken. Is the hyperthyroid currently being treated with pills or just the food? I assume I-131 treatment is not an option for an elderly cat.

Pill Pockets and other pill doughs makes it really easy to give a cat medicine. Many medicines can also be compounded into other forms such as a transdermal gel or flavored chew treat. Ask your vet for options when new medicine is prescribed. A local compounding pharmacy will have a fairly quick turn around time but you can also have the vet call the prescription in to Wedgewood Pharmacy.

Jessica 94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He does not have skin issues. He has been sneezing, with a bit of a runny nose.
He is strictly indoors too.
I am not sure if I can give him anything else to eat for the IBD. The YD has been the only treatment for the hyperthyroidism. It is dry food. He will not eat anything wet.
You are correct, 131 treatment is not an option for him as he is too old to handle this treatment.

Jessica 94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for continuing to add information. I am trying to figure out what is wrong, and what to do until Monday.

I wanted to add that I have noticed for a while now his rectum has a protruding appearance. I am trying to say, his booty exit is so slightly sticking out. Hemorrhoids? Can cats get those?

Jessica 94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am thankful for everyone helping here. I am just very concerned now. I was not, because I was trying to find less serious causes. However Google is not helping me. It seems to show the worst case scenario for everything. That is why I do not like looking things up. my biggest concern is that I am dismissing everything too much, and now it will cause Sebastian more serious issues. Will someone please read through this, and help me to decide if I should take him before Monday? Or, if this is like my first thought, and not so serious.

Jessica 94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is not correct. Usually HT occurs in elderly cats. Mine was 10.
I am not sure about the age . I am positive that it is not an option for my guy. I believe it is his kidneys was the reason why? No radioactive therapy was/ is an option . Obviously, not surgery due to pretty much everything. Age, kidneys, heart .Ect

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
The I-131 treatment is not surgery, but can be too risky for some patients.

Jessica 94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The I-131 treatment is not surgery, but can be too risky for some patients.
Yes, I know. It is radioactive therapy. My guy has an thyroid atrophy. As well, I do not recall what the veterinarian said, but it makes a huge difference in success, vs unsuccessfully treatment. When he was first diagnosed his levels were just barely hyperthyroidism. So far, the food has been successful in controlling his hyperthyroidism. However, he does have a slew symptoms, and I am not sure what is causing them.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Just barely HT and controlled by diet, yeah, you can save your money there. If he refuses to eat the Y/D and hates taking pills, however, I would ask the vet if he's a candidate for I-131 to improve his quailty of life.

Jessica 94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He
Just barely HT and controlled by diet, yeah, you can save your money there. If he refuses to eat the Y/D and hates taking pills, however, I would ask the vet if he's a candidate for I-131 to improve his quailty of life.
He was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism about a year ago. He does eat his YD food. Thankfully!
Unfortunately, he never was a canidcand for iodine therapy. The veey first post on here is his current situation, and I am not sure how to go about waiting for Monday. It is difficult for me as I do not have a clue what is wrong with him.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
It looks like hte possibilities have been narrowed down to IBD and lymphoma so I would say you do have a clue about his digestive issues. What is the vet doing for the sneezing and muscle spasms?

Jessica 94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like hte possibilities have been narrowed down to IBD and lymphoma so I would say you do have a clue about his digestive issues. What is the vet doing for the sneezing and muscle spasms?
I do not understand why he has digestive issues now when he has been symptom free for a while. With the exception of occasional vomiting foam. His stomach gurgling sound is very new. I have never heard this from him before. I was thinking maybe a little tummy virus, but I am not sure if cats get those?

He has not been seen by the veterinarian for the twitching, or sneezing. I am not able to get him in until Monday.

That is why I am concerned. He never growls, but he has been. He has always been close to me, but not this clingy. Well I have left him laying on me, it bothers me to know that it is out of character for him to want to lay on me this much. As long as I do not touch him on his stomach area.

Jessica 94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*While I do love him lying on me* ♥♥

Jessica 94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am pretty certain Lymphoma is off of the table as far as I know. The only way I could have known for certain was by biopsy, but both the vet and myself agreed it was too risky. That was a year ago, so IBD is the best diagnosis being the time given since then.