Concerned About My Graham

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, not really an emergency, but I have below questions regarding my 5month old Graham:

1) I hastily adopted her from a local lady as she was overflowing with cats and did not know what to do with them, but did not discuss any further info about her (as to her cat parents, etc). I have no more current contact of this lady. My concern is, since she is a scottish fold, (that’s what the lady and the vet told me anyway) how will I know if she has been bred out of two scotties? Can it be easily identified from her physical appearance only? Sorry for sounding stupid.

2.) since scottish folds carry genetic conditions, how will I know if she is in pain?

3.) The vet said she can’t be spayed until 7-8 months. I see a Tom now frequenting our compound. Will it speed up her heat? For now she is still very playful and like a normal hyper active kitten.

She is a very sweet kitten, always bouncing around and appears to be happy with us. She follows me around like a shadow and is very vocal which is quite amusing (all my other 3 cats are the silent types). I will be heartbroken if she would one day suffer from a condition that her type of breed seems to be “cursed” from.

8ABB666B-AAFD-4EB6-8666-728A33045758.jpeg
92E4D7B6-F94A-4AB0-8B94-B3ED51ABD37D.jpeg
78986710-7A94-437D-BB83-31B0B8017E06.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
She is stunning, so photogenic. Have you looked into DNA testing, that may help.
Thank you. No, I did not yet. I will check if I can get it from here. Sounds expensive, though.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think DNA woudl be the way to go. It would be actually good to have some different breeds in her to offset the genetic problems that often plagues purebreds. Many 'purebreds' often have a differnt breed somewhere in their background! All scottish fold cats have the genetic mutation that affects cartilage development, that is how they get the folded ears. It can affect their joints too. So be observant for any stiffness, reluctance to jump or move, and swelling at the joints. It can be managed with pain meds. It would not be a bad idea to start her on those supplements for joints for cats, after discussing this with your vet. Their life expectancy is 15 years, normal for a cat, so it sounds like the hereditary gene must be able to be managed fro most. Good luck, she looks liek a sweetheart and I wish you the best!

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your information and advice. Always appreciate it.

It would not be a bad idea to start her on those supplements for joints for cats, after discussing this with your vet.
Oh, I see! I will definitely discuss this with her vet. Thank you.

As for the Tom lurking outside, do you think at her age it would speed up her heat? This Tom suddenly appeared. I wonder if he could smell my Graham from inside the house?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it would speed up her heat, I think she is coming into heat and he smells it. It is common for cats to come into heat at 5-7 months, I think you need to consider getting her spayed ASAP. Try to convince your vet to do so, there is really no reason not to, cats can be spayed as long as they weigh at least two pounds. Tell him about the tom coming around. To have her go through a heat cycle is not good for you or her. If she becomes pregnant at that age, there could be complications. The younger the cat is when they are spayed, the easier time they have recovering.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it would speed up her heat, I think she is coming into heat and he smells it. It is common for cats to come into heat at 5-7 months, I think you need to consider getting her spayed ASAP. Try to convince your vet to do so, there is really no reason not to, cats can be spayed as long as they weigh at least two pounds. Tell him about the tom coming around. To have her go through a heat cycle is not good for you or her. If she becomes pregnant at that age, there could be complications. The younger the cat is when they are spayed, the easier time they have recovering.
I thought so, too. I once had a foster kitten that went through early heat and her yowling was unbearable. I was thinking she was in utter discomfort but could not do anything.

I will call the vet again and ask for a much earlier spay appointment. I tried last week but he said he cannot spay her yet - only at 7-8 months. He said that at this early age the organ is not fully developed so better to wait. I even argued with my husband about it because he sided with the vet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't see what a difference it would make if the uterus was underdeveloped? You are removing it! I would think it would be easier because it wouldn't have such a developed blood supply to nourish it. I wonder if he thinks it is safe for a 5 month old to become pregnant? I have lost two little young strays to birthing, absolutely none to spaying, and I have had more spayed than I can count.I have heard this about neutering males too, that the urethra is not fully developed, would stop growing, and the cat would be prone to bladder infectiions. There is no evidence to back this up. If that vet feels this way, I would seriously consider finding another vet. He sounds like he desn't know cats that well.... I had to go through 3 vets before I finally found one that actually liked cats and knew about them. One of them even talked about poisoning ferals on his farm! I quit going to them that day!

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
If that vet feels this way, I would seriously consider finding another vet.
Actually, there is this first vet who advised that Graham be spayed at one year old! It is dismaying really.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Can you see if there is a low cost spay clinic in your area? They will often spay at 4-5 months
I also approached the government vet clinic here and it was them that advised me that Graham be spayed at one year old, so I called another private vet who told me at 7-8 months. So I am really confused as I know it should be done as early as possible.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not wait for her to be neutered since they can give birth at 4 months old. Please get her fixed before it's too late.
By the way,what an adorable kitty! Like someone said, very photogenic

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
I would not wait for her to be neutered since they can give birth at 4 months old. Please get her fixed before it's too late.
I am determined more than ever to have her fixed. I have the backing of my TCS family.

By the way,what an adorable kitty! Like someone said, very photogenic
A big thank you. Yes, she really is adorable, and the sweetest cat I have so far. I call her my shadow as she follows me everywhere in the house. :)