Concerned About Kitten

Kittyloverr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again. I have two cats, the one I'm concerned about is scout. He's about 6 months old right now. For a few weeks, he's been having diarrhea. Only recently he's started having blood in his diarrhea. He also seems to be straining, as he grunts when he's doing it. The blood is bright red, and he usually only goes once a day. He's not vomiting, he's playing and eating and seems normal too. We're all concerned in my family, but we haven't been financially stable lately. We have been wanting to take scout to the vet to get his last 2 vaccines and a checkup, but we've just been getting hit by payments and debt lately. We don't know when will be able to take him. Does anyone have any advice on this? I'm really worried about him...

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any grains in his food, especially corn or wheat? or does he have gravy type food which has xanthan gum or carrageen or other thickeners? Is his litter unscented (fragrance can irritate tender anal tissues).
you can also try putting him on bland boiled chicken or hamburger with boiled white rice and give his guts a chance to calm down.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It might not be straining so much as pain that is causing the grunting. The progression from diarrhea to now diarrhea with bright red blood is very worrisome, and tells me the condition is getting worse.

Did you change food on him a little bit before the diarrhea started? If so, I would either go back to what he was eating before and see if that starts to help, or change his diet to something like catsknowme catsknowme has suggested.

If anything else about him starts to change negatively, you might want to ask a family member for a loan so you can get Scout some help. Or, if you have a good relationship with the vet, they might allow you to set up a payment plan.