concern about neighbours kitten

chloeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI there.I havent been posting for a long time.However I do follow the threads as much as possible.

I have 4 cats and they really are my babies ,so Im a bit obsessive and posessive over them.

There's a new kitten in they complex I live in and Im a bit worried about my cats interating with this little kitten.

Let me explain: My cats,3 males and a female have been neutered,chipped and vacinated.They were strictly indoors 

but I now take them into the Garden ,supervised of course, 2-3 times a week for a few hours.Its Spring here and they love

climbing the trees and chasing the birds.

The new  neighbours have a little female kitten,that hasnt been to a vet at all.the kitten is about 8 months old,hasnt had any shots and

hisses,growls and swipes at anybody other than its owners.Im just weary about this kitten having something that might affect my babies.

I have tried very nicely to suggest how important it is to at least,deworm and vacinate the kitten,but I cannot be too pushy and offend them.

They already think Im a bit weird  since I never let my cats out of my sight while in the garden.the longest I leave them alone for is when I go 

to work.They leave the kitten to go anywhere at any time and have even left it alone for 4 days.

Im frustrated that they treat this kitten the way they do.If I could take it away,I would.What can I do or say without being offensive?

Any advice would be welcome.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can't really do much unless there is proof of animal abuse and neglect. I am sure they appreciated your suggestions and hopefully they listened. Perhaps they do not yet have the financial means to take the kitten to the vet. 

Last edited:

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's so sad that these people are leaving her alone for long periods of time and aren't concerned about her health 
   I don't know if there's anything you can say that will get through to them; people like that usually don't take kindly to unsolicited advice.  If you know where they live, you could maybe leave pamphlets from the vet's office outlining why vaccinations are important under their door, or in their mailbox.  

Unfortunately, the only way we can ensure our cats' safety is to have complete control over their environment, i.e., keep them indoors.  Letting them run around outside is always going to expose them to potential hazards, but the good news is that your kitties are vaccinated.  As long as they've had all the recommended inoculations for outdoor kitties, they shouldn't catch anything from her.  

If you have a balcony, you can turn it into a "catio": http://blog.theanimalrescuesite.com/the-ultimate-catio-how-to-guide/   That's the only way I can think of to allow cats to enjoy the outdoors without being exposed to other animals.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi thanks for the reply.Iv already turned my balcony into a catio but they do love the grass and climbing the trees.They are also very good.If they go high up and

dont feel confident to come down again I stand under the tree and guide them with my voice and they come down lower.I just take them  out for a short period,

I call it garden play time and I dont focus on anything else but them.I get to take in the sun and they enjoy the garden.win win.

I was right to worry about the kitten. She is 8 months but looks  like a 4 month old.i was informed that they gave her away to the SPCA because she was pregnant.

I feel so sorry for her.She is so little how can she possibly have kittens safely.anyways its out of my hands but its still upsetting.