Computer Died!

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My computer died last night. It was 12 years old so I guess I can't complain. Now I have to go thru all the setting up a new one and hope I can recall all of my passwords! I can't access anything on the old one. I did pull the 3 drives out so, I can at least plug them into the new one so I can save all of my photos and files. Pain in the butt! I am on a laptop now.....

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
So frustrating! This is a good reminder to me to back up my hard drive. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
turns out it was the video card. I could replace it but, there are other issues with this computer. New one will be faster. I did manage to get into the old one and recover important files so this laptop has all my settings and passwords.... PITA!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My sympathies. I am running Windows 7 computer, as slow as it can be because I like Windows 7 vs 10 and I use my IPad for almost everything except for Word, Excel, my business and banking stuff. And I should back up much more often than I do.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My sympathies. I am running Windows 7 computer, as slow as it can be because I like Windows 7 vs 10 and I use my IPad for almost everything except for Word, Excel, my business and banking stuff. And I should back up much more often than I do.
yes, do a backup. You will thank yourself for it! I have an external drive that I keep backups on but, I had neglected my browser favorites and password files. I am on the old desktop now. I installed an old video card.....I don't have dual monitor support on this card tho so I am back to single monitor. (I know, I have spoiled myself). The computer has become my window to the world as I don't watch TV.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recommend using a software like Acronis to do scheduled backups to a network drive if you can. This way you don't lose more than a weeks worth of data I do weekly backups to my NAS and it saved me multiple times.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heartfelt sympathy to all experiencing any kind of IT issues. Besides family (including feline family!) problems, IT problems are the most serious for me, so I absolutely empathize. If I could volunteer some unasked-for suggestions, because I care and don't want anyone to have to go through unnecessary angst, PLEASE: DO upgrade to WIN10 if you haven't. You can tweak it to your heart's content to where you won't be able to tell a lot of difference between it and 7, if that's your preference. But you NEED the updates, friends. In 10, you can set it up to back up in the background and set your security software to do likewise; and you'll rarely be bothered.
And by all means, put everything in the cloud PLUS on an SSD or HDD. Again, you NEED these. No one should have to weep over lost data in these times.
Just like feeding your cats (and yourselves) the best quality diet you can afford, you need to do these things for your system, for your peace of mind.
:soapbox:

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have been running Win10 since it came out. Worked fine on this old computer (almost 12 years old). My new Dell is out for delivery so, I will be spending the rest of the day re-installing Win10 and all my other junk....I ordered it without an SSD (digital HDD) so, I will be redoing it right from brand new so I can install my system files on the my old 500GB SSD. It will boot a LOT faster! I will have to re-format the drive and start fresh. It will be nice when done.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have been running Win10 since it came out. Worked fine on this old computer (almost 12 years old). My new Dell is out for delivery so, I will be spending the rest of the day re-installing Win10 and all my other junk....I ordered it without an SSD (digital HDD) so, I will be redoing it right from brand new so I can install my system files on the my old 500GB SSD. It will boot a LOT faster! I will have to re-format the drive and start fresh. It will be nice when done.
*All success!*

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the new Dell came. Box was not damaged at all. Took it and set it up. I plugged in the power and hit the switch.......nothing. I have been on the phone with Dell and they finally decided to just replace it. So....now i have to wait for 7-10 days for the new one....:bawling2::crash:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the new Dell came. Box was not damaged at all. Took it and set it up. I plugged in the power and hit the switch.......nothing. I have been on the phone with Dell and they finally decided to just replace it. So....now i have to wait for 7-10 days for the new one....:bawling2::crash:
Unbelievable!!!
When I received my current system and started loading it up, it got stuck. So after a flood of calls, I had to send it back to the mfr. for them to kick it a few times. Not happy about that or about being stuck with the shipping charges up and back, but it's a GREAT system and I love it.
So sorry for your trouble. Empathizing. :gaah:

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
they say I have 10 days to send it back but, I have not gotten a RA number or a return label that they said was coming in email! I am so mad that I have canceled the replacement! No more DELL! I will have to do some homework and build my own, I guess....been a long time since I built one.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they say I have 10 days to send it back but, I have not gotten a RA number or a return label that they said was coming in email! I am so mad that I have canceled the replacement! No more DELL! I will have to do some homework and build my own, I guess....been a long time since I built one.
Hope you get those -- don't give up!
May I suggest visiting www.newegg.com? I buy all my stuff from there and they offer a wide variety of components AND completely built systems. If you sign up for their eblasts, you also get the opportunity for great deals. And not to shamelessly plug any particular brand, but *ASUS* ;)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can access your old hard drives, and you have Google, it's easy to get all your saved passwords.
Click on the three dots in the upper right corner
go to settings
go to passwords
click the 'eye' to show passwords

You can then write them down somewhere.
I have all mine written in a notebook in case something happens. And since it's a home computer and not shared, it's not very important stuff.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can access your old hard drives, and you have Google, it's easy to get all your saved passwords.
Click on the three dots in the upper right corner
go to settings
go to passwords
click the 'eye' to show passwords

You can then write them down somewhere.
I have all mine written in a notebook in case something happens. And since it's a home computer and not shared, it's not very important stuff.
Excellent suggestions, kashmir64 kashmir64 ! I do those things as well. And IDK why anyone and everyone doesn't avail themselves of all of the amazing things Google offers.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ :sigh: ´ When the computer or smartphone goes it is always a headache. I now know why some keep another "standby" on hand.
Sad about Dell. All I know is a few years ago Lenovo computers were recommended as reliable .
Good luck ...:vibes:✨

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ :sigh: ´ When the computer or smartphone goes it is always a headache. I now know why some keep another "standby" on hand.
Sad about Dell. All I know is a few years ago Lenovo computers were recommended as reliable .
Good luck ...:vibes:✨
Yeah, I have an old system that runs an old OS but still works, just in case. I've always gone with ASUS and I see their systems in a lot of businesses. Must be a reason. Some businesses I deal with have replaced their Dell stuff with...Asus. Just sayin'.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hope you get those -- don't give up!
May I suggest visiting www.newegg.com? I buy all my stuff from there and they offer a wide variety of components AND completely built systems. If you sign up for their eblasts, you also get the opportunity for great deals. And not to shamelessly plug any particular brand, but *ASUS* ;)
I like ASUS. I have used their boards before. I am currently making a list and waiting until I see my refund before I buy any parts. I have the old Dell XPS8300 limping along with an older video card. I will transfer my drives and I am buying a new 500GIG SSD. I also have my monitors (I have spoiled myself having two 24" side by side). Good Video cards are expensive! I am finding some good deals on Amazon too (Prime member). I have i7 3.4 Ghz now but it is old. I added ram to max at 16GB and added a SSD so it has kept up pretty well. But, I think this model is about 12 years old now.

Being I have an i7 I could transfer the processor and save for a faster one. I am shooting for 4.5Ghz with 32GB RAM(won't have to replace any time soon)

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
here is a start. Also Corsair 3000Mhz memory (DRAM)

video card:
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 128 Bit PCI-E Graphic Card (GV-N105TD5-4GD)

Processor I am looking at:
Intel Core i7-8700 Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.6 GHz LGA 1151 300 Series 65W

MB: (I don't game but, if I build a game machine, I know it will be fast and powerful)
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi (Intel LGA1151/Z390/ATX/2xM.2 Thermal Guard/Onboard AC Wi-Fi/RGB Fusion/Gaming Motherboard)