Computer Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can look at cases on newegg, here is an interesting one:
[/URL]

There are a lot more options. Here is a search for desktop cases and midsize.
[/URL]

I have been using AMD processors. I really like them as opposed to Intel. The new one they have is called Risen.
If you have one built you can get a RAID array. That is when you use 2 hard drives and you mirror them so the computer uses both together. The read speeds can be twice as fast that way and if a drive fails it is automatically backed up because the 2 drives are identical. It was more important when the drives were mechanical but even the new ones fail.
Anyway, the cost of the components will only be a little more than what a manufactured equivalent will be unless you go for the high end stuff. The big cost will be the assembly unless you do it yourself. The Windows 7 might be a problem since the new hardware will be designed for Win 10. All the chip drivers will come with Win 10 and they may not bother to make Win 7 drivers.
Thanks again for all the advice. We've lately been looking at AMD. I've heard of RAID but did not what it was. We are considering having this company build one. We've done business with the local store many times for repairs and purchases, and the prices seem very reasonable. We just need to research the options and discuss it with them to get a better idea what we might want. This process has definitely been a learning process.

Intrex - NC Computer Store and Computer Repair

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the past there were many different types of heat sinks available to provide additional cooling. One design that I thought was clever was one that attached to the chip requiring supplemental cooling. It contained a fluid that the heat would vaporize. Then the vapor would travel to the cooling fins of the heat sink, then condense and trickle back to the bottom of the heatsinkto repeat the process. Then you could also include an additional fan to provide air flow over the fins. But that was over 20 years past.
Interesting!

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are a number of benefits to a custom built machine. To me the biggest is that all the parts are "off the shelf". That means that anything, including fans, can be replaced with standard parts so it is easily repairable. You can also upgrade in the future instead of buying another one. It is easy to replace a main board (motherboard and processor) with a new one so there is no need to throw the whole thing out, just upgrade what needs it. But then I am spoiled. I have been building my own for many years and it has always been better in the end.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a number of benefits to a custom built machine. To me the biggest is that all the parts are "off the shelf". That means that anything, including fans, can be replaced with standard parts so it is easily repairable. You can also upgrade in the future instead of buying another one. It is easy to replace a main board (motherboard and processor) with a new one so there is no need to throw the whole thing out, just upgrade what needs it. But then I am spoiled. I have been building my own for many years and it has always been better in the end.
I wish we could build our own, but he is researching what's available at the nearby store and plans to give them a call tomorrow with questions. I think there are definitely advantages, one being we know exactly which parts are going into it, and they are just up the road if there are any issues. Not like having to ship it back to Dell or somewhere to try to get it fixed.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I was going to suggest checking out a local store, but it looks like you are already doing it. Usually you can get a lot more for a lot less.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest checking out a local store, but it looks like you are already doing it. Usually you can get a lot more for a lot less.
We are, we talked to them today, still figuring out exactly what we want but they'll work with us. It doesn't have to be exactly what they have on their site. Definitely a smart way to go.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Most budget computers have noisy fans or fans that become noisy under load or with age.

You'll get a stock fan with these computers very basic but does what it needs to.

Liquid cooled is the quietest next to heatsink only. It just has a pump to move the fluid around. This system is pricy however and can be tricky to install.

There are some laptops now that rival desktops and generally are quieter because some use heatsink only (look for passive cooling). if you want to hook the computer up to a monitor and keyboard you can purchase a docking station.

I do not know of any passively cooled desktop computers but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband
Most budget computers have noisy fans or fans that become noisy under load or with age.

You'll get a stock fan with these computers very basic but does what it needs to.

Liquid cooled is the quietest next to heatsink only. It just has a pump to move the fluid around. This system is pricy however and can be tricky to install.

There are some laptops now that rival desktops and generally are quieter because some use heatsink only (look for passive cooling). if you want to hook the computer up to a monitor and keyboard you can purchase a docking station.

I do not know of any passively cooled desktop computers but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
Thanks for the advice. I have a Lenovo IdeaPad S340 laptop that I like a lot, but when we looked at laptops that met his criteria it was way more expensive. He's been doing a lot of research on computer components and narrowing down what he wants, then he's going to have the local computer store build one based on that. He's already talked to them for advice, and also our nephew who is a hardware guy, so hopefully he can get exactly what he wants. I've heard of heatsink and liquid cooled, but know very little about the specifics. The guys at the store assured him they can get him a quiet fan. I think he's going to get a better computer out of it overall and if there's a problem, the store is right up the road to get it resolved.