Complaints From Downstairs Neighbor

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hangin:
I'm noise sensitive so I sleep with a fan. I have two questions:

1) Who's problem is it? It sounds very much like it is her problem not yours. She knows she is noise sensitive but rents a downstairs apartment. She knows she has trouble sleeping but doesn't see a sleep doctor or play a sound machine or offer to. It you a nice thick rug in the color of your choosing to go in the room above her bedroom.

2) did you sign a lease? Did you have permission to have a pet in the lease? If so again this is not your problem. The lease says you can have s cat, you have a cat. The end. That said as soon as you can , just move. Do you really want to live with that crazy dysfunction?

*i would write a certified letter or fax to your landlord explaining the situation and complaining about being bugged with all her complaints! I would also formally request all correspondence with the super/landlord/other tentant be in writing. Honestly I rent a room with thin walls. I'm a night owl but I make an effort to be quiet if it is past 11pm and try to be quiet from 9 pm on. You are way nicer than I am. I would get a rug (and let her buy the padding if she wanted) but I would leave toys out for my cat.

Just remember you can't use logic on crazy and it is a waste of time to try. Stick to your legal rights (feel free to research them in your area.) The sooner you can get away from the crazy the better. (If you just leave you break the lease and will have to pay a fine or keep paying rent until the end of your lease.) :goodluck:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~> I would write a certified letter or fax to your landlord explaining the situation and complaining about being bugged with all her complaints!
~ Exactly. Your comments are spot on . However I still like the "lawyer letter" approach . It wakes everybody up !

AbbyBail

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

1) Who's problem is it? It sounds very much like it is her problem not yours. She knows she is noise sensitive but rents a downstairs apartment. She knows she has trouble sleeping but doesn't see a sleep doctor or play a sound machine or offer to. It you a nice thick rug in the color of your choosing to go in the room above her bedroom.

2) did you sign a lease? Did you have permission to have a pet in the lease? If so again this is not your problem. The lease says you can have s cat, you have a cat. The end. That said as soon as you can , just move. Do you really want to live with that crazy dysfunction?

*i would write a certified letter or fax to your landlord explaining the situation and complaining about being bugged with all her complaints! I would also formally request all correspondence with the super/landlord/other tentant be in writing. Honestly I rent a room with thin walls. I'm a night owl but I make an effort to be quiet if it is past 11pm and try to be quiet from 9 pm on. You are way nicer than I am. I would get a rug (and let her buy the padding if she wanted) but I would leave toys out for my cat.

Just remember you can't use logic on crazy and it is a waste of time to try. Stick to your legal rights (feel free to research them in your area.) The sooner you can get away from the crazy the better. (If you just leave you break the lease and will have to pay a fine or keep paying rent until the end of your lease.) :goodluck:
Well said.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

balloonatic27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

All such good points — thank you!! I did sign an extra pet addendum with my lease; I told the broker I had a cat and he said he’d told the landlord and it was fine, but I still checked verbally that my cat was allowed before I signed the lease, and the landlord said it was fine and went and got the pet addendum for me to sign. It does sound like it’s my neighbor’s problem, and hopefully anyone reasonable sees that; last night I heard the super talking to her downstairs and then she slammed the door and stomped around soooo who knows what was about. He didn’t come and see me afterwards so if it was about me, he decided not to tell me. The rug is supposed to be delivered tomorrow and the rug pad soon after, so I guess we’ll see; in the meantime I’ve been scattering these cloth drawers on the floor at night so my cat can’t just run. Last night she found a toy under the couch and started batting it around and I had to rush over and grab it from her, which really startled her. ;(

But anyway yeah putting everything in writing is a good idea!!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
~> I would write a certified letter or fax to your landlord explaining the situation and complaining about being bugged with all her complaints!
~ Exactly. Your comments are spot on . However I still like the "lawyer letter" approach . It wakes everybody up !

This is what I would do. Forget being nice. You have already gone far and beyond what most people do. Don't let this grouch give you PTSD and change your entire life. It's HER problem. If she's so noise sensitive let her find other living arrangements. No one held a gun to her head. Dont let her get into your head. And don't contact her anymore.

You tried. Now go find a lawyer and get a letter sent to the super and send one to her certified stating the lease rules etc and if she has any problems she can also contact the lawyer and super. As long as you pay rent on time, follow your lease, they can't evict you. They can't hassle you either. Shame on the super for not dealing with this idiot a long time ago.

Just remember it's not your fault she has problems. She has options. If she chooses not to make changes to help her life then that's on her. Sounds harsh but I'm sick of pushy people who use reverse psychology to make you feel like an :censored:.

Chin up. Try the rug but dont stop leaving toys out for your cat. And just ignore her.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night she found a toy under the couch and started batting it around and I had to rush over and grab it from her, which really startled her.
Try the rug but dont stop leaving toys out for your cat.
I have to agree foxxycat foxxycat , It's one thing to try and make sure your cat is not TOO rambunctious, in the middle of the night. But I'm starting to feel bad for your kitty (and you of course), I would hate that her well being is compromised because of a neighbor who seems like she would never be placated, no matter what you did.
In one post you mentioned that she doesn't care what you do during the day but at night she can't sleep. Yet she bangs on the ceiling when you put a book case together (I assume it wasn't midnight!!!). The last thing you want is for your cat to become stressed because she can't play, and release energy. Playing on the couch only, is not how a cat plays, and I know you know this and are just trying to be a good neighbor. But noise sensitive or not, you've done enough.
You also don't want your cat to start feeling your stress as well. Live your life as a REASONABLE good neighbor that is ALL THAT CAN BE ASKED OF YOU. The ball is in your neighbor's and landlord's court now. So enjoy yourself and enjoy playing with your cat. And I hope you finally got your book case together!;)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
This situation sounds so stressful! Ugggg. It's too bad the lady wouldnt come talk to you. Communication is important. But what is one to do if everything you do doesn't seem to help a damn?! She is in the wrong for not talking to you. You more than offered to meet halfway through. Maybe offer to switch apartments but that would be extreme. Betcha she's sitting there laughing at all the stress she's causing you. :rolleyes3::rolleyes3:

What does the super think? Whats his body language qhen you speak to him? Is he looking at you in the eyes or does he slump his body and turn sideways with arms across his middle? That would indicate indecisiveness. He may not have enough conninies to stand up to the lady. I would if the lawyer is too harsh sounding seek out legal aid.

See if they can help.

This sucks all the way around . i would be just as upset as you. You know too bad she doesn't just put a pair of earbuds on and listen to music at night. When the TV is driving me batty from Jon watching stupid stuff instead of leaving the room in a huff I put my headphones on, turn on Netflix or listen to music. Problem solved. :anticipation:

I am sorry for sounding harsh for those who are nouse sensitive but one can't stop living thwir lives for fear of reactions from the other party. Thats kind of abusive in my opinion. I remember growing up and always trying to do the right thing to avoid a reaction from the other party that was hard to live with. All I remember is upset stomach problems and depression. And fear. My heart banging fast in my chest. Instead of being a kid and just live my life. I hope we have helped you find a way to meet in the middle.

If this doesn't resolve I would consider moving. Next place you move to, knock on doors next to the apartment. Ask the tenants what they think and who to watch out for. It is time consuming but seriously no matter how cheap the living is, if you have a rotten neighbor it just makes it suck. It's very hard to meet in the middle if the other side is constantly being difficult and causing you undo stress and developing PTSD in your own home. :rolleyes3: this makes me so angry!!! :mad2: Your home is supposed to be your safe space. Where you can feel safe. :(

sarah c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have gone above and beyond to placate this unreasonable neighbour, I wouldn't worry about her as she has no recourse over you and she might complain to the landlord but nothing will come of it. You are one of many tenants she has complained about and the landlord knows she's crazy and a pain. Let her know you have purchased a rug to help resolve the issue, even if it's just in writing, after that, the gloves come off if her complaints continue. She is actually at your mercy because you could be even louder in response to her complaints, and there's nothing she can do about it except move.

Please do not restrict your cat too much, neither of you deserve to suffer on her behalf. I was once in her position; a very noisy neighbor stomping around in the middle of the night, sometimes with his girlfriend in stiletto heels. I complained once, once I started banging on the ceiling with a broom when I was really fed up, and he started banging back louder in response. I bought earplugs and moved to a building with better sound proofing after being tired of going to work like a zombie.