Complaints From Downstairs Neighbor

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very noise sensitive also; however, the noise of a cat is nothing compared to screaming stampeding kids, running down the corridor, or stomping feet and kids above...

Or the girls downstairs play soccer in the house...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

balloonatic27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
But tarasgirl106, wouldn't you want to work with the woman who was trying to work with you, to make you more comfortable? That's the thing that makes the situation difficult.

My own opinion is that the landlord knows the problem and doesn't want to solve it because he makes money on shifting people in and out of the apartment above the complaining lady. He clearly doesn't care about either ballonatic27 or the lady. If he did, he'd have arranged for the lady to move to the top floor, unless there is no elevator and she can't handle the stairs.
Yes, exactly -- tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 , I completely see what you're saying but I think people are really just joking about this particular situation without meaning to make any broad statements; the issue to me is that no matter how noise-sensitive she is, she won't even attempt work with me to find a solution that would help her, which suggests to me that she sort of enjoys complaining, and/or is just hoping I'll leave, and that's not productive for anyone. And K Kflowers , there is an elevator. :/

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
or she wants management to deal with the issue, and not have personal contact with you. If she does, then it becomes personal, rather than at a distance.

She sounds afraid.

If she is that much of a complainer, then why doesn't management boot her out?? They can easily decide not to renew her lease, update the apartment and rent it at a higher fee.

BTW.. a small Christmas gift is usual for the Super.. a bottle of wine, a gift card..that is what I do...either or .. perhaps both..

balloonatic27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
or she wants management to deal with the issue, and not have personal contact with you. If she does, then it becomes personal, rather than at a distance.

She sounds afraid.

If she is that much of a complainer, then why doesn't management boot her out?? They can easily decide not to renew her lease, update the apartment and rent it at a higher fee.

BTW.. a small Christmas gift is usual for the Super.. a bottle of wine, a gift card..that is what I do...either or .. perhaps both..
Yeah very good point -- she seemed uncomfortable when I went and apologized to her before about the bookcase noises, like she didn't want to talk to me at all, even though I'd only come down to say I was sorry. And those are good gift ideas! I think after all of this it'd be wise to get him both.

I just ordered an area rug and a very thick rug pad that's supposed to be soundproof, so I will put them down in the area the super suggested, and hopefully that will resolve the issue for her. I don't really see what else I can do, short of moving out, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see if the super again relays a message from her at some point.

AbbyBail

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well don't know much about you or this neighbor, she seems so miserable. I give you snaps for trying to discuss the situation, it's not your fault you tried your part and she seems snobby about it! She's not happy til someone is miserable. If you can only if you can, look for another place to live that's cat friendly and the other tenants don't have a problem with cats knowing that they are pretty active at night.

Another thing again I don't know her, but wouldn't want to live in the same building as her. I agree with someone on here make her some brownies and put weed in it. :devilish::insertevillaugh::devilcat:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But tarasgirl106, wouldn't you want to work with the woman who was trying to work with you, to make you more comfortable? That's the thing that makes the situation difficult.

My own opinion is that the landlord knows the problem and doesn't want to solve it because he makes money on shifting people in and out of the apartment above the complaining lady. He clearly doesn't care about either ballonatic27 or the lady. If he did, he'd have arranged for the lady to move to the top floor, unless there is no elevator and she can't handle the stairs.
Oh, absolutely I would, K Kflowers ! I just get pretty disappointed in the people that are being so lacking in understanding about something that many people experience, including myself, and that is painful for us. We don't ask to have this. Actually, I guess, a long time ago, more people used to be more considerate of others and consider their feelings. Not so much now.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, absolutely I would, K Kflowers ! I just get pretty disappointed in the people that are being so lacking in understanding about something that many people experience, including myself, and that is painful for us. We don't ask to have this. Actually, I guess, a long time ago, more people used to be more considerate of others and consider their feelings. Not so much now.
I'm pretty sensitive to noise too and am a light sleeper too. But as an apartment dweller though you have to expect a reasonable amount of noise and try to make some adjustments (white noise machine, earplugs). I don't think people here are actually mean. It's just the old lady sounds stubborn and they're sympathizing with the OP here.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sensitive to noise to and am a light sleeper too. But as an apartment dweller though you have to expect a reasonable amount of noise and try to make some adjustments (white noise machine, earplugs). I don't think people here are actually mean. It's just the old lady sounds stubborn and they're sympathizing with the OP here.
I do, too, bigtime. And I did all the earplugs and white noise when I had this as an issue. I guess my mom would be proud of me because I see all sides in this matter and empathize with both people involved. I do hope there can be a resolution where everyone will be satisfied and not too much inconvenience will occur.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do, too, bigtime. And I did all the earplugs and white noise when I had this as an issue. I guess my mom would be proud of me because I see all sides in this matter and empathize with both people involved. I do hope there can be a resolution where everyone will be satisfied and not too much inconvenience will occur.
I hope so too! Hopefully the lady will open up some which would allow her needs to be met also.

balloonatic27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, everyone -- I hope so too!! Fingers crossed.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha all good points!! I think I will talk to my neighbor tomorrow, and tell her that I'm willing to put down a rug or two if she'll tell me where they should go (no idea where her bed is and I can't carpet my whole apartment for her), and what hours she needs it to be the most quiet. I have talked to her once before because she banged on the ceiling while I was assembling a bookcase (during the day), and then she also called the super and complained, even though I stopped everything and just left the bookcase in pieces till the next day, when I managed to put it together without a hammer. So I kind of tried the honey tactic heh -- made her brownies, knocked on her door to introduce myself and apologize, and say that I know it's noisy when someone moves in, and she seemed placated. But I guess she wasn't, since she's gone on complaining behind my back.

But I definitely do understand the frustration of having people above or next to you -- I'm a light sleeper as well, and in my old apartment there was a family with five kids on the floor above us, running around and bouncing basketballs around the clock, but no one could complain because it was the landlord's family. Not ideal.

Anyway though, I think you're right that I should try to be nice to her, even though the real issue seems to be that she just hates living in a pet-friendly building. I'd be happy to buy her a white noise machine or something but I somehow feel like she won't like that suggestion.
Thanks so much, everyone -- I hope so too!! Fingers crossed.
Oh my dear friend. Been there been doing "that" for 15 years. I'd been the quintessential good upstairs neighbor, rushing down to placate, accomodate etc. (with my credit card if my leak had dripped on her) and two months ago the beastly woman sued me.(over a leak, not noise.)

You are such a good person to try to work it out and I hope she appreciates your efforts.

You sound so much like me 20 years ago so let me just say this. Be accommodating, but try not to show your fear. There are people that will take advantage of kind people like you.

Noise is a natural by-product of apartment/condo living. Let HER move to an upstairs apartment. Or you can be like me, after my recent experience with my ungrateful downstairs neighbor, fantasize about moving and having a family of cloggers move in who practice overnight, every night.

Last edited by a moderator:

balloonatic27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my dear friend. Been there been doing "that" for 15 years. I'd been the quintessential good upstairs neighbor, rushing down to placate, accomodate etc. (with my credit card if my leak had dripped on her) and two months ago the beastly woman sued me.(over a leak, not noise.)

You are such a good person to try to work it out and I hope she appreciates your efforts.

You sound so much like me 20 years ago so let me just say this. Be accommodating, but try not to show your fear. There are people that will take advantage of kind people like you.

Noise is a natural by-product of apartment/condo living. Let HER move to an upstairs apartment. Or you can be like me, after my recent experience with my ungrateful downstairs neighbor, fantasize about moving and having a family of cloggers move in who practice overnight, every night.
Baw thank you!! I'll try to take your advice. I think probably I can't really do anything beyond getting a rug and trying to be a normal good neighbor in terms of noise, even though I know it will all be wasted on her and she'll complain about me anyway. I was talking to my boss today and she said I should never try to talk to the woman again because then she can and will claim I'm harassing her, so I guess I'll never know what she thinks about me trying at all. The super probably knows already.

But that's terrible about being sued over a leak!! Ugh, I'm sorry--I hope it resolved okay. I think some people are just miserable living in apartments, for any number of reasons, which I understand--but not to the extent that it's okay to just lash out at people who are doing their best and trying to meet you halfway. A few minutes ago I accidentally knocked something over and cringed imagining her fuming at the noise downstairs, but the funny thing is that she seems to have no idea how much worse/louder I could be!

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've heard it said "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

You B balloonatic27 are a very kind person and I'm certain that if you continue to show your cranky neighbor kindness she'll come around sooner or later...even if she doesn't let you know that she has.
smiley2.gif

balloonatic27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've heard it said "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

You B balloonatic27 are a very kind person and I'm certain that if you continue to show your cranky neighbor kindness she'll come around sooner or later...even if she doesn't let you know that she has. View attachment 264869
Baw thank you!! <3 I hope so.