Complaint sites

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the pods are something we looked at when we were thinking of moving cross country. What you may consider doing is putting an ad on craigslist, set a price for people (most likely college students) to come move all your stuff out to the pod, and then that will keep you from having to do the bulk of the hard work. Now, you may want to consider (if you do that) putting your breakables in a few seperate boxes, and then either carrying them to the pod yourself, or, if you're driving cross-country, taking them with you and not transporting them in the pod.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only issue with hiring people who aren't actually in the business is your potential liability if they get hurt while moving you. If you have renter's insurance, though, that should be covered.

Fluffnugget

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only issue with hiring people who aren't actually in the business is your potential liability if they get hurt while moving you. If you have renter's insurance, though, that should be covered.
I don't think renters insurance covers damages caused by movers from what I read (moved last year and looked into this). You can certainly save money hiring randoms from the internet, but there is risk involved due to liability like you mentioned, not to mention the possibility of theft. IMO you're better off going with pros if you have anything of value being moved since those companies do have insurance that covers damages. Are Moving Companies Insured - Three Movers

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On any type of site that you can leave reviews or ratings, you really need to actually read the bad reviews/low ratings. A lot of them are somewhat bogus. Sour grapes and/or buyer errors that has nothing to do with the product or company. I don't give creed to the "I thought this was going to be bigger/smaller/certain color/etc" reviews because clearly the person messed up and it's their own fault. You have to read multiple good and bad reviews to get an accurate depiction of what people really think.